Chinese Tires

wood207

I just ordered a new Cyclone 3800 toy hauler and it comes with Chinese tires. A buddy of mine said to get rid of them RIGHT AWAY and buy American tires. He said 5 of his 6 tires blew out or came apart in less than 10K miles. He is anal about keeping his tire pressure correct so there was not an issue of the tires being improperly inflated. Anyone have good or bad to say about the stock Chinese tires? Should I have American tires put on at the factory while they are building it or just stay with Chines tires?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey wood207, welcome to the forum! I would recommend you upgrade before you get your rig, or soon after. If you wait till after you take delivery, you may be able to sell your "new" chinese tires to someone, to save on the cost of the American tires. Many here recommend the Goodyear G614s. if you do an advanced search for tires, you'll get plenty of reading material!

Have fun with your new rig!

GOTTOYS

You should be able to upgrade to the Goodyear G614 tires as an option from Heartland at a lower price than selling your old tires and then upgrading. Look around at the various posts and forums about Chinese tires and draw your own opinion. I took mine off right away when my trailer was new and installed a set of LT truck tires. 9,000 plus trouble free miles ago....Don

wdk450

Wood 207:

I have heard that even the Goodyear G614's are made in China. I think that the quality of Chinese goods has come up a lot in the past few years, but there are always good and bad, cheap and pricey manufacturers. I haven't seen lately the level of "China Bombs" blowing out postings here, we saw 2 years or more ago. Goodyear has had a good reputation on this forum of paying the collateral damages to a trailer from a blowout. This is something I would definitely ask about in advance of buying any new trailer tires.
I would be proactive when towing, keeping my speeds appropriate to the tons of trailer I am towing. I would check tire pressures before and during towing (with a TPMS system), and monitor temperatures too.
In the end, preventing trailer tire catastrophic blowouts is a crapshoot, and you just try to load the odds in your favor.

GOTTOYS

Wood 207:

I have heard that even the Goodyear G614's are made in China. I think that the quality of Chinese goods has come up a lot in the past few years, but there are always good and bad, cheap and pricey manufacturers. I haven't seen lately the level of "China Bombs" blowing out postings here, we saw 2 years or more ago. Goodyear has had a good reputation on this forum of paying the collateral damages to a trailer from a blowout. This is something I would definitely ask about in advance of buying any new trailer tires.
I would be proactive when towing, keeping my speeds appropriate to the tons of trailer I am towing. I would check tire pressures before and during towing (with a TPMS system), and monitor temperatures too.
In the end, preventing trailer tire catastrophic blowouts is a crapshoot, and you just try to load the odds in your favor.
Goodyear G614s are American the smaller load range E Goodyear Marathon is currently made in China, they have been made in America in the past. Goodyear has a good reputation for paying for any damages caused by the failure of a G614...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And Heartland is now installing E-rated tires where they used to put G's. Getting G-rated tires is now an "upgrade," even on a 3670 it appears.

Vtxkid

Don't run without a TPMS. No matter what tires you have, if any problems come up then you will know about it before any type of damage can occur!

jnbhobe

I run a TST-- TPMS system on my rig. I run GY G-614's yet I had one come apart in Dover, De. never lost air !! Did $ 1,200.00 in damage. that GY paid for. But I'll still run GY-G-614's or a Good LT-LR-E American made tire. Just check the weight on US vs Chinese tire !!

eddylives

I have no experience with chinese TT tire but I do with Transport tires and WOW.....stay away from the chinese ones lmao.
We have had nothing but bizzare problems with them , blowouts from near new to the strangest wear I have ever seen.
Tires that look like they were flat spotted by dragging when the other brand tire beside it is fine.
Tires that look like they are rock drilled and flaking off their treads.
And the manufacture tolerances seem way out , to mount a china tire by hand is really tough while other brands are done with ease.
Until I hear that they have greatly improved the china ones I will avoid them like the plague hehe and stick to the other proven name brands.
Personally I require heavy duty truck tires on our new trailer , not so much agessive tread but tougher in the number of plies in the tread and side walls to handle the off road trips in and out of the remote lakes on old logging roads.

If you do get the bombs on your 5'er don't wait to long to replace them.
After 4 years we planned to get some Mitchlin when we returned home .
Guess what happened ? Got 4 new ones on the road.

DSCN0490.jpg

DMitch

Upgrade your order to the 614's you wont regret it. I blew four of those marathons in 3500 miles. One word for them JUNK!