Chocks or No Chocks When Using Level Up System

RVFun4Us

On my 3055 Bighorn, I used the "between the tire" chocks and they worked well. I now find that on my 3270, the tires are further apart than the 3055 and those chocks have to be extended out to almost max. Then when getting ready to depart, the chock is wedged tightly between the tires and very hard to remove. So I stopped using those and went back to the wedge shaped chocks in front of the front tire and behind the rear tire. I saw on another post that some people do not use chocks when using the Level Up system because the front jacks will be touching the ground when unhitching and the unit will not move. I modified this a little and just place the wedge style chock behind the rear tires so the unit will not roll backwards.

So my question is: Do those Heartland owners who have the Level Up system use chocks or not? If so, where do you place them? Just saw two other rigs in the park we are staying at (one a Landmark) that were not using chocks at all. Appreciate your input.

TxCowboy

I use both because I already had both wedges and X Chocks from my old unit. Anything to keep this RV in place and reduce bouncing.

brianlajoie

I place wedge chocks behind the wheels for safety reasons. Not every site I've been on has been level. I also like the fact they are there when the wind blows. I also use them when I hook up as I have an ultra glide hitch that I back up (under the king pin ) and using the chocks and IBC to hold the brakes helps. I also use the chocks when I do the tug test. I use 4x4s and the plastic foot pads under the level up legs when I store the unit. It keeps the 'feet' from freezing into the ice. I have also found that using the set up when I travel shortens the distance the legs need to extent when leveling the trailer. This reduces any wiggling when walking in the trailer.

Pirana

OK, so I just went on my maiden trip on my Oakmont with the Level UP system...I have 2 X-chocks that I would normally use on my other RV. Now with the Level Up jacks, I noticed that the jacks lift up the axles enough from the ground that the X-chocks need to be readjusted and removed before raising the jacks or they would have been crushed when the axles would come back to their normal position....since these are brand new they even came with a warning to remove them before raising the jacks. WHich brings me to my point, I will use them to prevent rocking, but I will still suggest the wedge chock to prevent the RV from rolling if in an incline pad.

RVFun4Us

Understand putting blocks under your jacks when storing your rig. But the joy of the level-up system when travelling is to not worry about putting blocks under jacks unless you are too high to reach the ground. Just hit the auto level and let the rig do the work. Saves on having to bring a bunch of blocks along too.

I place wedge chocks behind the wheels for safety reasons. Not every site I've been on has been level. I also like the fact they are there when the wind blows. I also use them when I hook up as I have an ultra glide hitch that I back up (under the king pin ) and using the chocks and IBC to hold the brakes helps. I also use the chocks when I do the tug test. I use 4x4s and the plastic foot pads under the level up legs when I store the unit. It keeps the 'feet' from freezing into the ice. I have also found that using the set up when I travel shortens the distance the legs need to extent when leveling the trailer. This reduces any wiggling when walking in the trailer.

avvidclif

I use 2 wedge chocks behind or in front of the tires depending on the angle of the pad. I don't want any extra strain on the front landing gear when they are the only thing holding the trailer. After allsx jacks are down I don't worry about it but they are there when the trailer is lowered for hookup.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We use the yellow chocks between the tires, mainly because I don't want there to be any chance it can roll at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVFun4Us

Yes, I have them. So far liking them except for low clearance on front jacks when backing in next to my house. Front left jack was already close to touching sidewalk and with snappad on, even closer. Have to watch it carefully while backing up.

snapads are a great addition to the Level UP system

- - - Updated - - -

Do you put them in after using the level up system? Like I said, when I chocked between tires before using level up, I had a hard time taking the chocks out since the tires evidently settled on top of the chocks. Putting in afterward might be the answer.

We use the yellow chocks between the tires, mainly because I don't want there to be any chance it can roll at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Yes we use both the yellow and heavier duty rubber chocks to impede rolling especially when trying to find the sweet spot on the hitch to unhook.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes, I have them. So far liking them except for low clearance on front jacks when backing in next to my house. Front left jack was already close to touching sidewalk and with snappad on, even closer. Have to watch it carefully while backing up.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you put them in after using the level up system? Like I said, when I chocked between tires before using level up, I had a hard time taking the chocks out since the tires evidently settled on top of the chocks. Putting in afterward might be the answer.

I put them in before unhooking. Yes, sometimes after leveling the are not tight, and I'll push them under the tires. After we hitch, we do often have to jockey to get the chocks out if we forget to pull them away from the tires slightly before returning to hitch height.

Lou_and_Bette

I use the large yellow wedge chicks. I place these when I have the rig in the location I want and before I put the front landing gear down. I place two chocks , one in front and one in back, around front wheel on door side, and two around rear wheel on off door side.

farside291

Once, I disconnected my 36 foot fifth wheel from the truck and it rolled backwards about 10 feet before hitting the parking block at the back of the pad. The next stop would've been the lake. You talk about scared! Nothing you can do except watch. I never, never disconnect without blocks behind the tires. Trust me, once is all it takes. I did stop using the king pin stabilizer though. I didn't notice much difference in stability with the BC. Maybe because its so heavy and much longer. Wheel chocks always.

RVFun4Us

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think what I will do is place one wedge type chock behind each rear wheel before unhooking. After level up, I will place two more in front of the tires. That second step might be overkill, don't know. Then before hooking back up, I will remove the chocks in front of the tires, hook up, bring in the jacks and then move the truck forward to release the chocks behind the tires. Hopefully that makes sense. Everyone seems to do it differently. But like I said previously, counted another four rigs today in the park with level up systems that had no chocks placed at all.

avvidclif

Just be careful when placing the first set behind the wheels that the site is actually lower in the back. Put the chocks on the downhill side, be it front or back of tires. Might be embarrassing to unhook and have your trailer follow the TV down the site.

RVFun4Us

Just be careful when placing the first set behind the wheels that the site is actually lower in the back. Put the chocks on the downhill side, be it front or back of tires. Might be embarrassing to unhook and have your trailer follow the TV down the site.

Of course Clif. Common sense has to rule when placing chocks. I think my snap pads being made of refurbished rubber tires also would help in keeping it from moving once the front landing jacks are down. But it sounds like using chocks is the consensus. Never bad to err on the safe side.

BusManRG

We always chock, but on a recent trip the site was quite unlevel and my little chocks didn't give me much comfort. Anyone have a favorite chock? I read that the height should be 25% of the tire height.
Sandy