Cleaning out the anti-freeze

brunsje

Spring is just around the corner and I am getting antsy to get the camper and begin the process of getting it ready for the season.

One question, I winterized the camper by sticking a hose in antifreeze and opening all the faucets til the water ran pink! Can I do the same thing to clear the antifreeze out of the system? ( Maybe I should read my manual, but since I am at work, it's tough to do! LOL)
It seems to me this should work, or am I missing something. I will use water to start and then sanitize the system. Any good "recipes" for the sanitation process?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions!

rvn4fun

Yes you can, we do the same thing..Except when we fill with water we fill thru the normal water tank fill. Make sure your waterheater plug is in if you have removed it. Turn both levers back to normal, fill with water, making sure water heater is full, by opening a hot faucet, until water comes out. If you want to sanitize, add about a cup of bleach when you fill the system. Run through all faucets ect, wait a few hours or overnight, drain water heater, and water tank, add about a cup of baking soda run through faucets again and then go camping. I probably missed something, but this is the general routine.

rick_debbie_gallant

:cool:But then you could buy some cheap brand of Gin or Vodka. Winterize with that. Then all you have to add whenever you open the faucet is either tonic and lime to the gin or orange juice to the vodka. Instead of draining it on the ground you can drink it.:cool: Just dont try and put out a fire with it.:eek:

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
:cool:But then you could buy some cheap brand of Gin or Vodka. Winterize with that. Then all you have to add whenever you open the faucet is either tonic and lime to the gin or orange juice to the vodka. Instead of draining it on the ground you can drink it.:cool: Just dont try and put out a fire with it.:eek:

Close. Very close, but I just winterize with tequila. :D Then all I need is a little salt and lime and I'm good for the first two or 3 camping trips. Then I have to winterize again. DW doesn't understand why it is critical to winterize in the heat of summer. I just tell her it's important to protect the system. I just don't tell her which system it's protecting.:cool: I mean my system is just as important as the campers, right??:eek:

Keith

Cimriver

Unlike some other folks around here, I am going to try to answer this prior to having my 2nd Martini!! LOL!

So on a serious note. I fill my fresh water holding tank about a 3rd full. Make sure the valve that switches the plumbing from your fresh water holding tank to the hose you you put in the antifreeze bottle is in the holding tank position. Open a facet and run several gallons through it with your pump. Turn your pump off and hook up a hose to your city water connection. Open you low point drains and lett the water run a couple of minutes then close the lowpoint drains. Open up all of your facets, hot and cold, and let the water run for 10 minutes or so to completely flush the antifreeze out of your pipes. Don't forget the shower and toilet valves. Finally I close the hot water heater bypass valve and run the water for a few minutes after the water heater fills. That should pretty well flush it out.

Now for that 2nd Martini!

rick_debbie_gallant

Before I fill my tank with fresh water I open the low point drain and let as much antifreeze drain out. Then I will put water in the tank with the drain still open and run for several minutes with the water draining all the time. Shut off water and let the rest of the water drain untill empty. Then close the drain and put some water in and do that several times. at some point do the bleach thing let set and run through the plumbing. Then drain the tanks,fill with fresh water, flush the lines and should be good.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless I wait until I get the BH back up to the seasonal site, I'll have to do a field expedient dewinterization. I don't have any place convenient to hook up a water hose or fill the tank. My plan is to take my 3-gallon compressor to the storage yard and pressurize the system via the city water connection to blow the antifreeze out and into the drains. Then use a 5 gallon water can to pull water into the system via the winterization hose. Probably have to do that several times. Chlorinating the water in the jug, too. That will give me some liquid in the holding tanks to help sloosh any crud around when I haul it north. Could also add chlorinated water via the jug to the fresh tank shortly before we move it, then run it through the system when it's parked on site. And lastly, refill the tank with city water and flush the system out at the site. Alternative is spending a couple of days at a local CG to get it done before heading north. Less hassle, but added expense.

I wish I'd known there was a monster 5th wheel in my future back in '94 when we built this place. Woulda rotated the garage 90 degrees, made it a four car (gotta have my woodshop), and extended the driveway behind the house so I could park my toys in the yard. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.