Cleaning sap stain from awning

dprince99

Is their anything out to clean sap stain from awnings?
I've tried everything from tar/sap remover to bleach with no luck...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would try a few things. Easiest first, 303 or furniture polish. next, WD40 or PB Blaster. Last would be rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits. If you resort to mineral spirits, once the sap is gone, use some 303 to retreat the area.
I've had good luck with Honda Spray Polish & Cleaner on many cleaning chores. It actually smells like furniture polish. That's why I suggested it.

Northern Virginia
Lacquer thinner. This is the best solvent you'll ever use. It will completely remove old hardened pine sap to fresh gooey sap. Easily. BUT, two words of caution. Lacquer thinner is powerful stuff. It will instantly remove latex paint and dissolve some materials. I have used it with success on fiberglass, clothing and dyed leather. But dab a bit in an inconspicuous area first to make sure it won't dissolve the awning fabric. Secondly, lacquer thinner and it's vapors are extremely flammable. It evaporates very fast and makes gasoline look like child's play. Don't smoke or use it anywhere near an open flame, spark or pilot light.

Good luck,
John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As newbie said, be very careful with lacquer thinner. It will remove the coloring on the vinyl if you're not.

dprince99

Thanks everyone, tried every suggestion but nothing seemed to work...
As a last resort, I tried some Clorox Clean-Up spray & it worked!!! Did the whole awning, sprayed off with water, dried, & then 303'ed.
Looks a lot better now.