Cleaning the awning

robnmo

We spent 3 hrs today scrubbing the Cyclone exterior and roof, but we can't figure out how to scrub the awning top and bottom. What's the best way?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Assuming it's an electric awning, do the top from the roof and the underside from a ladder, or with a brush on a long extension pole. I did mine last week. It looks good and my neck was only sore for two days.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
I clean the top side by rolling the awning out in 2 to 3 foot increments, then using ladder and long handle brush cleaning that exposed area. Continue in increments by rolling out another 2 to 3 feet, until entire top is finished. A little more challenging to clean the bottom side. I have the awning completely out, then just get underneath again with long handle brush and clean away (I also get a good dousing while doing this:rolleyes:. It's best done on a hot day so as to get some benefit to getting wet). As far as a cleaning solution, a bucket full of water and some dish detergent (Dawn, Dove, etc.) and depending if there is any mildew on the fabric a cap full or two of bleach. That is my technique.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I clean the top side by rolling the awning out in 2 to 3 foot increments, then using ladder and long handle brush cleaning that exposed area. Continue in increments by rolling out another 2 to 3 feet, until entire top is finished. A little more challenging to clean the bottom side. I have the awning completely out, then just get underneath again with long handle brush and clean away (I also get a good dousing while doing this:rolleyes:. It's best done on a hot day so as to get some benefit to getting wet). As far as a cleaning solution, a bucket full of water and some dish detergent (Dawn, Dove, etc.) and depending if there is any mildew on the fabric a cap full or two of bleach. That is my technique.

Hadn't thought of the incremental method for the top side. The awning was already fully extended when I got the wild hair to clean the rig. But the underside, be ready to eat/wear whatever solution you plan to use. Mine was kinda groady, so I used an awning cleaner and sprayed it on the scrub brush, then attacked the underside. Followed that with a hose rinse. If nothing else, my trifocals were squeaky clean.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I took soap and water on the underside with a long handled soft brush. Scrub it all good and then roll it up we with the soap and water still on it. As you roll it up the underside will wet the top side. Leave it closed for about 10 minutes. Then open it up and rinse bot top and bottom with clean water from the hose. Leave open to dry. It works for us. I found this method out in the Trailer Life magazine, tried it and it works. It is simple and quick.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I agree with all the methods. I have used 'black streak" remover at times if it real yukkie. I haved looked like the "gortons fisherman" at times with my yellow slicker.

robnmo

I took soap and water on the underside with a long handled soft brush. Scrub it all good and then roll it up we with the soap and water still on it. As you roll it up the underside will wet the top side. Leave it closed for about 10 minutes. Then open it up and rinse bot top and bottom with clean water from the hose. Leave open to dry. It works for us. I found this method out in the Trailer Life magazine, tried it and it works. It is simple and quick.

I like this one, I see some Coors lite time between the wash and rinse cycle! :D

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I have used Fantastic with bleach on three different awnings including my newest. After rolling out and wetting down, spray with Fantastic and roll up. Let sit for an hour or so, enough for a cocktail (rum & coke - my preference) or a beer or two. roll back out and rinse liberally. May have to do some scrubbing but 90& or more of junk will rinse right off. I do this 1-3 times per season depending where my rig has been.

Bobby A

I kinda do the same thing except I get my bucket of dawn and a little bleach solution on the roof and spread the bucket of solution on the top side and then roll it in after scrubbing a little, wait 5 minutes and then hose the top and underside off, been doing this method for years, all my awnings on all my coachs have looked brand new. What I have found to be key is to let the awning out after a rain so to dry and not grow mold spores. Just my 2 cents worth.
Bobby A

ParkIt

The beverage while relaxing in a chair is the best way to go. I used to spray the top after getting it wet then roll up and grab a cold drink...got a lot of funny looks from other campers at the long term park but once they'd see me unroll, hose off and spend about 10 min with an telescoping wand for the bird crap or underside spot clean they would smile and wait a day before trying it themselves.

I also used to use some sort of awning protector but can't remember what it was called and can't find any on the market - it kept it from fading and getting mildew, anyone know?

jnbhobe

I have cleaned my awning and slideout covers like Jim for years. I get them wet and spray some Reliable Cleaner on the top sides and the bottom bad spots and roll everything up, Then I wash the rest of the rig. By the time I finish the rig and run the awning and slides out all I need to do is a good rinseing. As a matterof fact I just finished doing it and everything is dring now.