Cleaning the EPDM Rubber Roof

5erWonk

Tilex would work for mold and mildew because it is 2.5% sodium hypochlorite (chlorine) plus it probably has some surfactants....You can do the same thing cheaper by adding 1cup chlorox bleach to a gallon of soapy water.

Just a comment on detergents that remove oils on EPDM roofs, most all detergents are alkaline so the will always react with or remove oils, so it is best to use very dilute detergents.

davebennington

I have cleaned our roof with the pressure washer and it looked ok. Sometime this year we managed to hit something and created a small rip in the roof I noticed it the day we left for the East Coast rally I used Dicor caulk as a temp fix until I could get a patch. We stopped at Camping World on the way home a purchased a patch kit and applied it so far it looks good.

As a side note I was reading an article in the lastest Coast to Coast and a person had a GREAT idea to fix his roof. He priced a full replacement and it was going to cost about $5000.00. He then went to a Line-x dealer and had the whole roof done for $1600.00. We have Line-x in the truck bed and it takes a lot of abuse, so far it has held up and still looks good. This seems to me like this idea would work for us if and when replacement time comes.

Dave

nhunter

The dealer covered my tear with Dicor and it seems to work. The Line-X sounds good, but I wonder how it would handle the movement as the roof is soft and flexible and I have seen Line-X chip and peel.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The linex sounds pretty interesting with one exception. I've seen a good number of linex bed liners that have faded quite a bit from UV. There are a few spray-in liners that don't fade. We have Superliner in our truck. My thoughts would be a concern of the fading material and water run off or streaking. Still an interesting idea. Like mentioned earlier, I wonder what the weight would be when compared to a normal EDPM roof. I don't think there would be any issues with flexibility but don't know for sure. Hopfully an installer wouldn't sell the product if it wouldn't work or might come back.

jpmorgan37

Just a thought. The EDPM roof has a life expectancy of 12 years, when maintained properly and repairs are easy and not too expensive.

John

BluegrassMan

I just had Line-X put in my truck a few weeks back. The dealer told me of a NEW process they will be doing, First they spray the line-x, then they can spray any color on it, then they put like a clear substance over that. They told me I could get it in the tan, or the pueblo gold that is the accent color on my truck. I just said nah, I'll get the black.

geeksrus

I have cleaned our roof with the pressure washer and it looked ok. Sometime this year we managed to hit something and created a small rip in the roof I noticed it the day we left for the East Coast rally I used Dicor caulk as a temp fix until I could get a patch. We stopped at Camping World on the way home a purchased a patch kit and applied it so far it looks good.

As a side note I was reading an article in the lastest Coast to Coast and a person had a GREAT idea to fix his roof. He priced a full replacement and it was going to cost about $5000.00. He then went to a Line-x dealer and had the whole roof done for $1600.00. We have Line-x in the truck bed and it takes a lot of abuse, so far it has held up and still looks good. This seems to me like this idea would work for us if and when replacement time comes.

Dave

Just wondering... how much extra weight would there be with a Line-X application?

Eh!