Clearance Bulbs

jonesj2

OK, several of my clearance lights have burned out and when I go to pull them out the base stays in the socket and the bulb pulls out. That should not be a problem to remove the base. My question is, what replacement bulb numbers are used in the clearance lights.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Bulbs

If your clearance lights are like most, it is a #194 bulb. The bulb has no actual "base". It is just a glass bulb with two wires that plug into the socket.
It is called a Wedge T3-1/4 base.
I moved this thread to the electrical, 12 volt area.

Peace
Dave

traveler44

My side markers don't burn out they just wiggle loose all the time. Haven't figured out yet how to tighten them up. Tom M.

jnbhobe

My side markers don't burn out they just wiggle loose all the time. Haven't figured out yet how to tighten them up. Tom M.

Its really simple to fix Tom, just change the whole light out to LED's. No burn outs any more.

traveler44

Sorry for the delay in getting back. My pc decided to reconfig itself the other day. Does going to the leds mean cutting wires and adding the new fixtures? If they have to plug into the existing sockets they would probably wiggle loose again. Where did you get your leds? Tom M.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Tom, I replaced all the running light fixtures on my rig. 16 LED's per unit. You will have to cut and splice (solder) wires.

Peace
Dave

traveler44

I learned how to solder wires together while waiting for the new LED side markers to get here. I installed the same ones that Southern Nights has on his. These have four LEDs and are plenty bright enough. There was plenty of fresh air outside today and 39* I slept for about six hours after doing the job and just now went out and lit them up. I got the job done before the snow starts flying. I installed the first three thinking they were directional and that if they lit up they were wired right. After that I got the idea I wasn't just getting lucky and found out they will light up wired either way so I used a meter to check the ones on the other side first. It says right on the package black+ white- so I hope if I got one wrong it won't damage it. One thing I like about these that I noticed the LEDs and resisters are sealed in. Less chance of being affected by weather. Thanks Dave and Jon and all for the advice and encouragement.