Closet Clothes Rod Failure due to Overloading

ct0218

I heard that there were shelves behind the clothes rod, but Gail's clothes must hide them. I think I have about 5 or 6 shirts in there somewhere, but she has to find them for me. Must be a woman thing having a different outfit for every day of the month, and for every season!

Tom of Ypsi

I must be one of the few that still has the original closet rod with no problems. It has been loaded up with heavy coats, shirts, pants, dresses and hardly a sag in the rod. I have carried most of this stuff for 9 different camping trips this past season ranging from 5 days to 2 1/2 weeks. Lucky I guess.

rayw796

Bought a new 2006 off the lot

My new 2006 Mt Rushmore solved the closet rod problem! They used the same brackets and mounted it to the ceiling! This not only gives better support from the ceiling, but since clothes won't actually fit in the space available, they automatically lighten the load! Ingenious. Hopefully some of the ideas you have posted will assist me in redesigning the closet on a 100K home!None

Cooper

Final had the old closet rod problem. I tied it up till we could get back home.
After getting home I then drilled the center bracket holes out bigger and then drilled two holes in the shelf above the rod and bolted it to the shelf.
Problem solved.
It only had two small wood screws holding it up. Why knowing that it would be used for more than a couple items? DUH

Princess Kathleen

We had a rod failure...I believe this was the 5th time...DH went to Wally World and picked up to expanding shower rods. Then he placed shower rod under the rod and taped them onto the rod. So far it is holding.

PK

sjrellis

Ds bought a 5th wheel a few months ago to full time in. Before they left, dh re-inforced the rod I think it was with a 2x4 perpendicular to the center of the pole with a notch cut out. It ain't goin' to fall now!

I need to ask dh how ours looks.

BluegrassMan

I think that just about all of us have fixed the closet rod problem. The factory by now should have it right.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
sjrellis said:
Ds bought a 5th wheel a few months ago to full time in. Before they left, dh re-inforced the rod I think it was with a 2x4 perpendicular to the center of the pole with a notch cut out. It ain't goin' to fall now!

I need to ask dh how ours looks.

I had thought about doing the same thing, but wondered if there was too much flex between the floor and the rod in the closet to let this work.

jpmorgan37

Chuck;

I fixed mine a year and a half ago and haven't had a problem. I went to Lowes and bought a heavier rod, two new end supports and two closet shelf supports. I cut down the shelf supports to fit so that now they are just rod supports, drilled the supports and completely through the closet shelf and put stove bolts through the supports and shelf with large flat washers on top of the shelf. I can swing on it. No middle support post to bang my head on. It was a $12 fix and carries the weight.

John

jbeletti

Chuck,

Similar to JP, I replaced the factory rod with a heavy wall, chrome closet rod from Lowes along with 2 cup type mounts for the 2 wall ends. I hit solid wood with 3 long screws on each cup. I did not support the rod at the center as the factory bracket would not accept the new rod's O.D. With that new rod full of clothes, I saw very little deflection in it. It held fast the last two seasons I used it.

Jim

FLSTS03

The best closet rod available is a piece of 1" galv. steel pipe cut to fit, homebuilders have used it for decades. The only draw back is appearence,but if my memory serves me correctly chrome sleeving is avalible to cover. When I get back to the office Monday i'll research and let the forum know. Steve

FLSTS03

John,
1" galv has an OD of roughly 1.32" so the cover would need to have an id measurment a little larger. I've seen people take the covers, that you listed, and make them work by putting the slit is the back of the rod, ...Steve

nemo45

Amazing, the first post on this thread was in Sept. 2005 and its still happening in 2009. I was shocked when it happened on my new 2009 3600RE. I had read posts on this thread before but thought surely Heartland would have the problem solved by now.

jbeletti

Don,

Don't be so amazed. That this happened to you is unfortunate and I know first hand that it's a drag. But trust me on this, we have not put 20,000 RVs on the road since 2005 with failed rods. We're getting this right nearly every time these days.

I have passed your failure onto engineering and production so we can figure out what we need to do, if not already done on current units, if there are still issues in production.

Thank you for letting us know it happened. If we never hear, we're blissfully ignorant. Best of luck with your repair.

Jim