coax connector

Bobby A

It seems that my coax connector in the UDC for my satellite has either come loose from the fixed location or its bad. It seems lately everytime I'm in the UDC and accidently touch the coax cable/connector it looses the signal for my satellite, but once I find the sweet spot(move the coax around) the signal returns. Was wondering if anyone has had this happen and what you did to fix it from loosing the signal.

Thank you,
Bobby A

danemayer

Bobby, as many have noted, the coax connectors are often crimped poorly, leading to lousy or intermittent signals. I replaced every connector in our Rushmore, including the ones behind the UDC, the entertainment center, the bedroom, and the basement. Took about an hour. Here's the tool and connectors I used. Replacing the connectors is very easy and takes maybe a minute per connector. Getting to all the connectors is what consumed most of the time.

In our case, the satellite was ok, but cable was terrible. One of the connectors at the amplifier in the bedroom was causing most of the problem.

I'd recommend replacing all the connectors and never worrying about it again.

Bobby A

Well All righty then, Dan, I have the same problem, satellite works fine (until recently) but the cable is terrable!! It must be a connector issue because when we are traveling and at a campgrounds that have cable, if I run the coax directly from the cable box to the TV its GREAT, but when I hook it to the connector in the UDC the picture sucks !!

wdk450

As a "quick fix" try before replacing cable connectors, I would try some contact restorer on ALL coax connections. I really like the Cramolyn DeOxideIt availible at Radio Shack. I always carry this stuff with me in my tools and supplies.

Bobby A

As a "quick fix" try before replacing cable connectors, I would try some contact restorer on ALL coax connections. I really like the Cramolyn DeOxideIt availible at Radio Shack. I always carry this stuff with me in my tools and supplies.

Never herd of it, unless you are talking about tuner cleaner ??

wdk450

Never herd of it, unless you are talking about tuner cleaner ??

Here's a Radio Shack link (read the reviews): http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104746

Here's the Cramolyn Website (read the reviews - on the right margin - "Support", "Fan Club -Received", "Reviews"): http://store.caig.com/

BTW, you can buy short full sized spray cans at local electronics parts stores, Newark Electronics and DigiKey online for about what Radio Shack wants for the 2 mini spray cans.

Bobby A