Coax Location For Satellite Dish

Todster

Good evening all. Long time lurker but as of 2 months ago finally a Cyclone 3513 owner!!! Very fun trailer so far. I'm about to mount an auto dish to the roof and have a few questions for those that have done it or seen it done.

The notes on the coax layout say the spare is opposite side the antenna. Equal distance in from the side and in from the front of the rig. Ours "antennae" is the newer style king over the air antenna therefore there's no crank arm laying it down 2 feet closer to the front.

Does anyone know if they are talking about the new antenna location where it is always up and we can only rotate it? Or some unknown distance forward of that location by about 2 feet?? Kind of a head scratcher with the manuals and literature.

Coincidently I already came across the wrong literature for the charge controller/ converter so doubting some of the accuracy of the documents.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Todd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Good evening all. Long time lurker but as of 2 months ago finally a Cyclone 3513 owner!!! Very fun trailer so far. I'm about to mount an auto dish to the roof and have a few questions for those that have done it or seen it done.

The notes on the coax layout say the spare is opposite side the antenna. Equal distance in from the side and in from the front of the rig. Ours "antennae" is the newer style king over the air antenna therefore there's no crank arm laying it down 2 feet closer to the front.

Does anyone know if they are talking about the new antenna location where it is always up and we can only rotate it? Or some unknown distance forward of that location by about 2 feet?? Kind of a head scratcher with the manuals and literature.

Coincidently I already came across the wrong literature for the charge controller/ converter so doubting some of the accuracy of the documents.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Todd

Todd have you located the blank cover on the ceiling of the bedroom ? that's a good place to start.

Todster

Hmm. Didn't even think to look inside at the ceiling. Just thought it was a roof penetration only. I will take a look Friday and report back. Thanks

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Call Heartland customer service (number on main page of this forum) with your VIN number, they can probably tell you more specifically where to look and how your coach was wired originally.

richheck

Seasoned Member
Todd;

Try calling the factory and request to have them email you a drawing of your roof supports. Our Landmark was built with special bracing in a specific location in the roof structure to allow placement of a Winegard Traveler satellite dish. As Jerrod already stated the wires, two sat cables plus a control cable for the Winegard dish are located inside the blank cover in the ceiling of the coach (usually bedroom or bathroom depending upon the floor plan)

SNOKING

Our 2017 BH3575el has the blank plate on the bedroom ceiling and the control cable in the closet. Chris

Todster

Thank you all for the quick responses. I plan to call tomorrow if all goes well.

Todster

Quick update. Work got in the way Friday and wasn't able to call. I did however look for the blank plate as I didn't remember seeing one. Go figure there isn't one to be found in this trailer?? Tried a few varieties of connection just through the connection center outside with now luck. Will be calling next week. I verified everything works sitting on the ground first.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
From the Heartland web page it does not say that your rig is pre-wired for roof top satellite system. Your roof mounted antenna is for OTA channels only and can not be used for sat purpose.

If you wanted to add sat to your rig, you would have to pull new coax which would be a PITA.

Todster

Quick update. Called customer support. They confirmed the coax cables are in place in the ceiling but no ceiling box to access by. They were also nice enough to forward me a 115v outlet diagram by request. I will be using my wire locator before we do any cutting though....

Oregon_Camper

From the Heartland web page it does not say that your rig is pre-wired for roof top satellite system. Your roof mounted antenna is for OTA channels only and can not be used for sat purpose.

If you wanted to add sat to your rig, you would have to pull new coax which would be a PITA.

Let me start by saying I know nothing about connecting/use satellite TV service.

Having said that, do any of the services offer you the ability to watch their programming over the web, using something like a PC or tablet? If so, then you can buy a $40-$70 Google Chromecast device (3 versions) and simply connect TV to device (wireless) and then watch TV anywhere.....without using any cables.

I do that all the time....except I download content on the laptop before leaving (Movies, TV shows) as we camp where there is no service.

TravelTiger

AT&T, which owns Direct TV is now offering a package to Let you stream Direct TV content live, you don't have to have a dish. I don't know any real details.

Oregon_Camper

Todster

We have dish tv and they too have a streaming service of anything you watch on your box remotely on a phone/iPad/etc

TravelTiger

We have dish tv and they too have a streaming service of anything you watch on your box remotely on a phone/iPad/etc

Yes but you have to have all the satellite equipment -- this new service from Att/Direct, you don't have to have a receiver or a dish to get the service.

We have Dish network and I'm not changing. Buy this might be a good solution for someone.

MikeR

Yes but you have to have all the satellite equipment -- this new service from Att/Direct, you don't have to have a receiver or a dish to get the service.

We have Dish network and I'm not changing. Buy this might be a good solution for someone.

You won't need any satellite equipment to use the ATT/Direct streaming service is correct. But, if you're going to be streaming all of your TV service you're going to need a large data package from ATT. Hopefully an unlimited package they can't throttle back.

TravelTiger

You won't need any satellite equipment to use the ATT/Direct streaming service is correct. But, if you're going to be streaming all of your TV service you're going to need a large data package from ATT. Hopefully an unlimited package they can't throttle back.

No, that's the beauty, they are offering DirecTV streaming that doesn't count against your data.

danemayer

MikeR,

I think the AT&T/Direct offer is that streaming Directv video won't count against your data plan. So you could have a relatively small data plan and watch a lot of video.

I don't know the technical details and limitations of the AT&T offer, but a similar offer from another vendor charges against your data plan if you're not using their phone app. So anyone thinking of tethering your TV to the phone, or casting the video to your TV, needs to delve into the details to find out if they'll allow that without charging your data plan. High-def on a phone doesn't take as much data as high-def on a TV.