Coax Location For Satellite Dish

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Good luck trying to find information on AT&T's website. ;) if someone wants to research and post details, please do! I keep getting stuck in a loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todster

Update...asked a friend to come by and try to sort out the coax cables on this rig. Let's just say the installed wires were not the colors sent in the diagram and 100% wrong to where they landed them. Without a tracer I would have never made it through this.

Ended up making a 1 1/4" hole in the roof and sealing the snot out of it when done. End result is a working satellite tv system. Now we can use it that 1 or 2 times as we are rarely inside when camping.

40d1e97b671fd120e2b9c25972c6c1a7.jpg

9b082adb71c8e73fb8ae65a8ea39a1df.jpg

cdb6e25951a2797a05cd2fda3a914006.jpg

07c8acfc1080225e0cdb3364aa29e776.jpg

Cabindoc

Todster, I have same antennae and plan to mount similarly. Did u just screw into ceiling? What is the hump at the entrance hole?

Todster

Yes the screws go straight into the roof. On mine it was double thick plywood. Plenty of strength there.

The hump was purchased from dish at the time I picked up the satellite. It allows for a clean non kinked entry into the trailer.

wdk450

Just a note from an experienced electronic technician about satellite cables. I run a Dish Network VIP722 Dual tuner receiver, feeding 2 TV's in my Bighorn. The past couple of years I have been fighting intermittent differing signal levels to the 2 tuners, sometimes certain channels went out, and although the RG-6 always checked out with a meter for no breaks or shorts, I finally tried a NEW single RG-6 cable from the dish antenna running DIRECTLY to the splitter feeding the tuner - in other words, I bypassed all of the Heartland in the walls RG-6 coax. The system has never worked better. I run the cable from the dish through a window directly to the Dish receiver in the entertainment center.

So much of reception and distribution of the very high frequency/bandwidth satellite signals depends on a quality coax connection with wide bandwidth capabilities, and coax can degrade over time. Only very expensive specialized equipment can measure this frequency bandwidth parameter on coax cable.

Cabindoc

I can attest to that. When connecting my antenna I got spotty Chanel's with a 50' cable, but when I went to a 25, it worked fine. King tells me you cannot use a splitter between Antenna and receiver.