Cold Temps froze Fresh tank with polar package

NCskibum

2015 3110, at -3 overnight, windchill -20, woke up to no water from fresh tank, once temps got up during day (15), water came back on. Both lines stay frozen to kitchen sink. Also fridge stopped cooling! Anyone else experience this? Better to run fridge on propane?

PS I keep furnace on at 66 with fireplace on low at night, crank it up to 70 when hanging out in trailer during day.

danemayer

Hi NCskibum,

Where you said "Polar Package" do you mean YETI or Canadian Arctic Package either of which includes tank heaters and heat tape on the fresh water line?

The kitchen lines are not heated and are susceptible to freezing. Run the furnace at a higher temp to pump more hot air into the underbelly. Also, the heat from the fireplace is probably influencing the thermostat, causing the furnace to run less. Turn it off at night.

Norcold and Dometic don't support using their refrigerators in temps like you're describing. Most people don't have any problems, but the ammonia solution in the cooling unit can gel in extremely cold weather. If you're really lucky, it'll start working again by itself. If you're slightly lucky, it will have overheated, triggering a thermal shutdown that will probably require a tech to clear. If you're not so lucky, you might need a new cooling unit.

I run a 25W light on the backside of our Dometic to keep it warm in sub-zero temps.

danemayer

The Yeti package heat tape protects the portion of the fresh line in the underbelly. The area up by the pump, and the water pump itself, are not protected. Many of us hang a 100W heat lamp/reflector above that area. Just make sure the lamp is securely mounted so it can't fall down.

Gate valves can also freeze in extreme weather, so watch the weather forecast and plan when to dump the tanks. If you wait until they're full, you could find the valves frozen. If that happens, you'll need to drop at least a corner of the coroplast and use a hair dryer to thaw them.

More cold weather tips in our Water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

danemayer

Do you no if all tanks have heat pads on them?
The Yeti package should protect all the tanks. But the fresh water supply can freeze in lots of places other than the tank itself.

And you need to make sure you're not running the tank heaters without water in the tanks. A little water is needed to dissipate the heat or you may burn a hole in your tank. So don't run the grays empty with tank heaters ON.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks a bunch, fingers crossed on my frig, going down to -5 tonight, wind chill -25

Just a suggestion... We have several wireless thermometers. One in the basement, one in the UDC and one outside under the front overhang. We can monitor each one from the inside. We have been in temps as low as 14F and have never seen either the basement or the UDC close to freezing. The lowest we have seen in the basement is 45. Also I leave the lights on in the basement and UDC all the time in below freezing. During the below freezing temps we run the tank heaters and the Yetti (our coach has separate switches). Be sure there is some liquid in the tanks as the tank heaters could burn a hold in an empty tank. The other way you could do it (and it has worked for us) is to empty all the tanks and then only turn on the Yetti switch (which heats the water lines) that is if you have a separate switch. Many folks also put a light in the area behind the basement wall. As for me I haven't as I would be afraid of igniting something. Same with putting a space heater in that area.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
for the fridge...add a utility/work light in the rear of the fridge from the outside compartment...it keeps the coils warm and allows the fridge to operate properly.