Colorado this year

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would not recommend using your own vehicle. It is limited to 4x4 high-profile vehicles only. The "roads" which are not really roads at all, more like trails, are VERY rough -- so rough you can't go more than about 10mph. Off-road toys are allowed as well, we saw many 4-wheelers. But the scenery is well worth it.

IMG_1740.jpg
Above the treeline, going over Cinnamon Pass
IMG_1727_1.jpg
Beautiful!

Kbvols

Video is cool , I have to get back to Colorado someday soon. I have only been there 2 times but definitely want to return and spend some extended time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seren

The Colorado chapter is holding a rally in Buena Vista on May 12 to the 15th. You could come in to the Salida area and go to the Alamosa area and see the Great Sand Dune's and then come up to Buena Vista which is a gorgeous place to visit in Colorado. From there you can head West to the Durango and Mesa Verde area. The Ouray, Telluride, and Ridgeway State Park are north of Durango and great places to visit also.

Decided that the best place to get info about Colorado and the Rockies would be at a Heartland Rally in Colorado. Since the timing would be perfect for us we will make reservations tomorrow for the rally in Buena Vista. Will arrive Pagosa Springs about the 1st, then be able to stop at Great Sand Dunes NP on the way up to the Rally. Probably west to Gunnison then Ridgway SP after the rally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We look forward to meeting you and welcome to our CO rally. I am sure everyone will have lots of information to share on places to visit.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Decided that the best place to get info about Colorado and the Rockies would be at a Heartland Rally in Colorado. Since the timing would be perfect for us we will make reservations tomorrow for the rally in Buena Vista. Will arrive Pagosa Springs about the 1st, then be able to stop at Great Sand Dunes NP on the way up to the Rally. Probably west to Gunnison then Ridgway SP after the rally.

Cool!

Can't wait to meet you!

You'll have a blast with the Colorado HOC bunch and the rest from the neighboring states that will be there!

When we were at the Sand Dunes six years ago we stayed at the private campground just outside of the park (they have a restaurant, motel and the campgrounds).

Here is a shot I took from our campsite (and our old Coachman trailer in the campsite):

SandDunes-IMGP1114.jpg SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg

We'll probably also be spending a few days in August down at Blue Mesa (just west of Gunnison):

ProwleratBlueMesa-P1010116.jpg ProwlerBlueMesaFall-P1010381.jpg

Seren

Have reservations for the rally and posted the info on the rally thread. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

🎶He was born in the summer of his 27th year
Coming home to a place he'd never been before
He left yesterday behind him, you might say he was born again
You might say he found a key for every door
When he first came to the mountains his life was far away
On the road and hanging by a song
But the string's already broken and he doesn't really care
It keeps changing fast and it don't last for long
But the Colorado rocky mountain high
I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky
The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullabye
Rocky mountain high (Colorado)
He climbed cathedral mountains, he saw silver clouds below
He saw everything as far as you can see
And they say that he got crazy once and he tried to touch the sun
And he lost a friend but kept his memory🎶

Seren

Cool!

Can't wait to meet you!

You'll have a blast with the Colorado HOC bunch and the rest from the neighboring states that will be there!

When we were at the Sand Dunes six years ago we stayed at the private campground just outside of the park (they have a restaurant, motel and the campgrounds).
Looking forward to it too. Probably will stay at the same campground just outside of the NP.

Seren

Add Riverside RV Park, Bayfield, CO, on 160 as a possible stop. 18 miles east of Durango and always open. Most parks should be open early May. The Million Dollar Highway from Silverton to Ourey is beautiful but 2-lane and the speed limit should not be ignored.

Considering Riverside RV Park, I assume that there is no problem on 160 from Pagosa Springs over Wolf pass to South Fork with the RV in tow. Just need to keep track of the weather.

danemayer

Considering Riverside RV Park, I assume that there is no problem on 160 from Pagosa Springs over Wolf pass to South Fork with the RV in tow. Just need to keep track of the weather.

160 from Pagosa Springs over Wolf Creek is an 8 mile steep climb with a couple of switchbacks. If your tow vehicle can handle it, and there's no snow, you'll be ok.

A good engine brake goes a very long way when coming down from Wolf Creek in either direction. More so when headed west.

JohnD

Wolf Creek Pass is a monster!

It is one of (what I call) 'The Truck Killers!'.

Chippendale

Add Riverside RV Park, Bayfield, CO, on 160 as a possible stop. 18 miles east of Durango and always open. Most parks should be open early May. The Million Dollar Highway from Silverton to Ourey is beautiful but 2-lane and the speed limit should not be ignored.

I towed my 38’ Gateway from Durango to Silverton last Sept. 4[SUP]th[/SUP] and then back to Durango on the 8[SUP]th[/SUP]. Used my exhaust brake, drove carefully and pulled over to let others pass whenever possible, didn’t have any problems. In my opinion, Silverton to Durango is the “less white knuckle” direction of the two, but Durango to Silverton wasn’t too bad for this flatlander. Do watch your speed.

Seren

160 from Pagosa Springs over Wolf Creek is an 8 mile steep climb with a couple of switchbacks. If your tow vehicle can handle it, and there's no snow, you'll be ok.

A good engine brake goes a very long way when coming down from Wolf Creek in either direction. More so when headed west.

Did not have any problems going up the mountains of Florida... Opps, sorry, meant Smokies, but I am sure that is a totally different animal. Assuming the weather is good (even a hint of snow and will go the long way), going east should be easier and since I always use the exhaust brake in the mountains, so will go for it.

Seren

Has anyone been to Lottis Creek Campground in the Gunnison National Forest near Taylor Lake? Seems like an interesting place, a National Forest Campground with electric, but out in the middle of nowhere.

JohnD

Has anyone been to Lottis Creek Campground in the Gunnison National Forest near Taylor Lake? Seems like an interesting place, a National Forest Campground with full hook-ups, but out in the middle of nowhere.

We go up Taylor Canyon whenever we go over to Gunnison.

If it is the campground I'm thinking of, it is pretty nice.

We've only stayed at the One Mile Campground . . . they only have electric and water, but very nice with lots of shade.

Here is a shot at One Mile of our campsite (and my self portrait I took there):

CampSite-P9030033.jpg SelfPortrait-P9030038.jpg

We've never stayed there yet with either of our Heartlands . . .

Taylor Canyon is awesome!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Has anyone been to Lottis Creek Campground in the Gunnison National Forest near Taylor Lake? Seems like an interesting place, a National Forest Campground with electric, but out in the middle of nowhere.

I have not stayed in the CG but was in the area in 2010 elk hunting and spent a few days on my own prior to the season opener sightseeing on my own. Drove up that valley road and others. All the USFS roads were in good shape for gravel roads. Actually passed quite a few hunters with TT's and 5ers getting set up for hunting. If you can and want to boondock there are lots of places to do so as well.

Lyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

South Fork-neat little town. Great access to fishing and national forest. Went elk hunting there in 2007...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk