Colorado this year

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Gasser?!? Someone tows with a gasser in Colorado? Isn't that like hunting elk with a bb-gun?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep. JohnD is the proud owner of a gasser. He'll chime in when he see this !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yep. JohnD is the proud owner of a gasser. He'll chime in when he see this !!!

I haven't gone over Wolf Creek Pass since I got my new truck, but my old Dodge 1500 4x4 huffed and puffed all the way up . . . but made it . . . twice!

I doubt I'll have any issues with the new Chevy with the 4.10 rear end . . . it is a trailer hauling beast!

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

Of course, our Prowler is smaller and lighter than most of the other 5'vers around here!

Now, the reason I call Wolf Creek and many other passes "Truck Killers" is because just about every time we go over one of them there always seems to be at least one RV sitting along the side of the road halfway up (or down) with the hood up and the radiator steaming or the brakes smoking.

MTPockets

I haven't gone over Wolf Creek Pass since I got my new truck, but my old Dodge 1500 4x4 huffed and puffed all the way up . . . but made it . . . twice!

I doubt I'll have any issues with the new Chevy with the 4.10 rear end . . . it is a trailer hauling beast!

View attachment 42770

Of course, our Prowler is smaller and lighter than most of the other 5'vers around here!

Now, the reason I call Wolf Creek and many other passes "Truck Killers" is because just about every time we go over one of them there always seems to be at least one RV sitting along the side of the road halfway up (or down) with the hood up and the radiator steaming or the brakes smoking.
I've only seen Ram trucks on the side.... LOL .... Just kidding! But just had to say it....

JohnD

I've only seen Ram trucks on the side.... LOL .... Just kidding! But just had to say it....

Actually, just about every late 90's Dodge Ram I've ever seen sitting along side the road seemed to have lost the front U-joint and had the front of the drive shaft dropped on the ground.

I never had that issue with my old 1996 Dodge Ram, though . . . but I did have the U-joints replaced at about 120,000 miles.

TaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpg 4wheelin-IMGP3201.jpg 4wheelinSig-IMGP3116.jpg 4wheelinsig-IMGP3158.jpg SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg

olcoon

First time we went to Colorado after we got the Elk Ridge, I had a Chevy 2003 ¾ ton with a gas engine & over 100,000 miles. Pulled Monarch Pass & got about ¾ of the way up before it started heating up. Had to pull over & let it cool off. Made it to the top, and pulled into the tourist trap there & looked around for a while so it could really cool off. On the way down I pulled over a couple of times to let the brakes cool off. Wasn't having any problems, but didn't want any. Told Sally on that trip that when we got home we were buying a diesel. Bought the Ram with a Cummins & exhaust brake. I was amazed at the difference.

Seren

If anyone is curious here is our itinerary so far (staying 3-5 days at each stop)...
1 May - Pagosa Springs
South Fork
Great Sand Dunes
Buenta Vista
Lottis Creek, Gunnison NF
Gunnison
Black Canyon, NP
Ridgway, SP
Moab
Dead Horse, SP
James M Robb, SP (Fruita)
13 Jun - Rifle Falls, SP

Noticed that it gets more difficult to find openings at NF's (w/electric as we do not have solar or a generator yet) and SP's after mid Jun, must have something to due with the cool summer temps. Planning on heading either towards western RM NP then west along 40, or eastern RM NP near Estes Park then Fort Collins then Laramie towards Tetons.

Since we are going to the rally, we are skipping the Durango area this year, but are planning on going there next spring on our way east to arrive next fall. May even workamp in the area for a few months since we want to stay cool next summer too.

MTPockets

If anyone is curious here is our itinerary so far (staying 3-5 days at each stop)...
1 May - Pagosa Springs
South Fork
Great Sand Dunes
Buenta Vista
Gunnison
Black Canyon, NP
Ridgway, SP
Moab
Dead Horse, SP
13 Jun - Rifle Falls, SP

Noticed that it gets more difficult to find openings at NF's (w/electric as we do not have solar or a generator yet) and SP's after mid Jun, must have something to due with the cool summer temps. Planning on heading either towards western RM NP then west along 40, or eastern RM NP near Estes Park then Fort Collins then Laramie towards Tetons.

Since we are going to the rally, we are skipping the Durango area this year, but are planning on going there next spring on our way east to arrive next fall. May even workamp in the area for a few months since we want to stay cool next summer too.

I see you have Rifle Falls SP on your list... That is a nice place to visit, but pretty cramped and I would suggest you change your reservation to Rifle Gap SP. We camp hosted at the Gap one summer and the Falls park is constantly busy with visitors who must drive thru the very small campground to get to the visitor falls parking.. Rifle Gap is very large with roomy paved, full hook up sites in the Lakeview Loops. The Falls park is about 5 miles from Rifle Gap.. I'm sure you would enjoy the Gap much more. FYI

danemayer

I think Terry's right about Rifle Falls vs Rifle Gap. It's been a while, but I remember Rifle Falls having practically no space for even the truck and the sites are very small if I remember correctly. Also, not very many sites. But it's worth a visit to see the falls.

When you go to Rifle Gap, take the direct route from Rifle no matter what your GPS says. When we visited, there was a section of road on the main approach with an incorrect weight limit in the GPS data. It took us on the scenic route to avoid that. And I think the map data had the park entrance wrong by 1/4 mile. So as we came around a curve from the north, we missed the entrance and had to do a 3 point turn using a gravel drive.

travelin2

1 May - Pagosa Springs
South Fork
Great Sand Dunes
Buenta Vista
Gunnison
Black Canyon, NP
Ridgway, SP
Moab
Dead Horse, SP
13 Jun - Rifle Falls, SP

Looks like a nice adventure. We've been to or through a number of those places.
Great Sand Dunes, 4/2014...
88c066024e31582ee91c556b9bb63afe.jpg

Seren

I see you have Rifle Falls SP on your list... That is a nice place to visit, but pretty cramped and I would suggest you change your reservation to Rifle Gap SP. We camp hosted at the Gap one summer and the Falls park is constantly busy with visitors who must drive thru the very small campground to get to the visitor falls parking.. Rifle Gap is very large with roomy paved, full hook up sites in the Lakeview Loops. The Falls park is about 5 miles from Rifle Gap.. I'm sure you would enjoy the Gap much more. FYI

Thanks for the advise, will see about changing our reservations to Rifle Gap SP. When I made the reservation I looked at Google satellite view and it showed our pull-though as being pretty spacious, however never considered the fact that to get to the parking area to the falls that all the visitors have to go through the campground.

Noticed another thing about Colorado SP's, they are much more expensive than most other states once you add the $10 reservation fee and the $7 per vehicle per day fee. Since we will be staying at a number of Colorado SP's we will get the $70 yearly pass for our truck.

Seren

Next question if I may. We will be at one of the Rifle SP's and would like to spend time in Rocky Mountain NP either on the west (Grand Lake area), east (Estes Park), or both. What are the best routes? 70, 9, 40 to 34 to Grand Lakes, or 70, 40 to 34?Seems that 34 through the NP has a lot of zig-zags, is it doable to get to Estes Park? Hate to drive all the way to 25 to get to Estes Park. How about via Boulder as I would prefer to stay well outside of Denver.

Also, after the NP, planning on heading towards Steamboat Springs, I assume taking 40 is no problem.

danemayer

Noticed another thing about Colorado SP's, they are much more expensive than most other states once you add the $10 reservation fee and the $7 per vehicle per day fee. Since we will be staying at a number of Colorado SP's we will get the $70 yearly pass for our truck.

I noticed the same thing in 2012. If I remember correctly, after the first, I figured out I could make several additional reservations in different parks, with a single checkout, incurring a single $10 fee.

MTPockets

If you are going to be at different CO State Parks, you may want to consider the annual entry pass. It may save some $$

travelin2

Next question if I may. We will be at one of the Rifle SP's and would like to spend time in Rocky Mountain NP either on the west (Grand Lake area), east (Estes Park), or both. What are the best routes? 70, 9, 40 to 34 to Grand Lakes, or 70, 40 to 34?Seems that 34 through the NP has a lot of zig-zags, is it doable to get to Estes Park? Hate to drive all the way to 25 to get to Estes Park. How about via Boulder as I would prefer to stay well outside of Denver.

Also, after the NP, planning on heading towards Steamboat Springs, I assume taking 40 is no problem.

40 to Steamboat Springs was a good road when we were SUV road tripping a number of years ago.
More to do on the Estes Park side of the NP. I'll let others advise on route because unless there are restrictions, I'd pull it but I know most others would say I'm nuts!

Last edited:

JohnD

There is more to do on the Estes Park Side, but it is hard to find a campsite over there on short notice.

However, there is a nice campground on the Grand Lake side Called the Winding River Campground . . .

http://www.windingriverresort.com/

We've stayed there and it is a very nice place!

It is about a mile from the west entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park (RMP) and makes for a good day drive over to Estes Park to walk around town and back.

And the park fee is good for three days (I believe) so you can then go back in RMP to check it out on another day.

I personally would not pull a trailer through RMP . . .

I know I could do it . . . I just don't want to!

MTPockets

There is more to do on the Estes Park Side, but it is hard to find a campsite over there on short notice.

However, there is a nice campground on the Grand Lake side Called the Winding River Campground . . .

http://www.windingriverresort.com/

We've stayed there and it is a very nice place!

It is about a mile from the west entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park (RMP) and makes for a good day drive over to Estes Park to walk around town and back.

And the park fee is good for three days (I believe) so you can then go back in RMP to check it out on another day.

I personally would not pull a trailer through RMP . . .

I know I could do it . . . I just don't want to!
We pulled the Big Horn across from West to East with no problems. I reset my mpg meter and got about 6 mpg going up. The road is narrow and I know some are not comfortable on roads with huge drop offs and no guard rails, but we enjoyed the drive and would not hesitate to do it again.