Colorado to South Carolina

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We became Grandparents on the 23rd so we are headed down to meet the little one next week. I have our route planned already via google maps routing which matched up with the Good Sam routing. My questions are, do we really need camp ground reservations down south during the week days and does anyone have any should not miss things we should stop and see?

buddyboy

Campgrounds in beach areas fill up quickly, but SC is a large state, so not sure where you're going. In Tennessee, there's lots to see and do - Graceland, Grand Ole Opry, Smokey Mountains, etc.

Congrats on the grandbaby. They're our rewards for not killing our kids when they were teens. :rolleyes:

phix

We became Grandparents on the 23rd so we are headed down to meet the little one next week. I have our route planned already via google maps routing which matched up with the Good Sam routing. My questions are, do we really need camp ground reservations down south during the week days and does anyone have any should not miss things we should stop and see?
When do you plan on camping in the South? Where abouts in SC will you be camping? I need a tad more info to answer your question.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We are leaving next Wednesday and traveling through KS, MO TN, GA, to Beaufort SC. We will be coming back through NC, VA, KY. We will not need a campsite on the weekend until we get closer to home on our return. That is the reason for my question mostly. We would like to just drive until we want to stop without reservations but are unsure if that is a good idea.

buddyboy

We're planners, so we always know where we'll stop every day. We research our stop (campground and area) so we know what to expect and see. We stop around 2pm each day, after driving a max of 4 hours. Not for everyone, but it works for us.

phix

Ok. Sounds like an exciting tour. If you just do overnights at interstate 'in and out' places and avoid destination places, you will probably be fine Sunday thru Thursday. If you want scenic camping or destination camping for several days, you may have a problem. Summertime is busy in places with mountains, oceans, rivers and lakes while kids are out of school.

Your destination, Beaufort, is beautiful, historical and is likely to be crowded. There is a state park there on the ocean. Here you will need reservations, if you can get them. Not too far up I 95 is Charleston. Major history here, Fort Sumpter, plantations, the market, and Battery. If these things interest you, make reservations.

On up I95 is Savannah, GA, another historical stop and worth a tour.

Depending on your route, up i95, I would not miss Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown which have been reconstructed. More plantations. Early colony history and revolutionary war history here. Also Busch Gardens if you like that sort of thing in Williamsburg. If you are headed for the north western part of VA, there is the Shenandoah Valley national park. West VA has similar beauty.

in Tenneesse there is lots of mountain beauty (and whiskey making). A favorite place for many is the Smokey Mountains and Gatlinburg area. Mountains in the east are not as high or rocky as they are out west. Everything will be very green with vegetation. Creeks, rivers, and waterfalls in the Great Smokey mountains national park.

if you are going to drive this far, then there is much to experience. Bring mosquito repellent!

Pam