Company let me go

yepuhuh

After 29 years Bank of America decided to put me to the curb. It wasn't exactly what I was planning because I turn 59 April 20 but wanted to retire when I reached 60.

Last edited:

Garypowell

Always remember that God has a plan and a reason. No fun to go through the valley, but it does help put the mountains in perspective.

jimtoo

Hang in there... things will work out for you.

Come to Texas,,, got's lots of work in the oil patch.

pegmikef

AT&T did the same thing to my son a few years ago. He changed careers and now hauls crude oil in the oil patch in West Texas to the tune of about 100K/year.

priorguy

Same with the Alberta oil patch here in Canada. Easily 3-5 times the pay for the same job elsewhere. I know lots that go out for 2 years and pay their house off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gebills

Hope the new moves go smoothly for you yepuhuh; I've found through the years, with little exception, corporations have only a financial, bottom line conscience. I suppose this is true with nearly any business, but specifically true with corporations who seem unnervingly cold-blooded. I took a career bounce in 2001 after pouring every waking hour into a company, only to loose in the end. Wish you the best in your "plan B." DW and I are nearing our planned retirement now after getting back to where we were pre-2001. Sold our home this past month and with the home sale happening before our broker could have an open house, are now full-timing until we buy a new home without wheels.

Good for you; they gave you the push "with a severance". That will ease your transition some. Wish you the best. gebills

bsuds

Company did that to me 10 years ago after 32 years with them. I was 55 at the time. Luckily the dear wife had a good job and we managed just fine. She is now retired too and we are both enjoying RV'ing and golfing etc.

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Reading this thread brings a lot of different emotions to surface. It is easy to attack the large corporation that employed you for decades and now is letting You
go. I am a small business owner. Did you make an effort to advance your skills so you could be asset to the corporation. They are providing for you a retirement
package. I also did not know that the forum was used to discuss the loss of jobs or receiving a retirement package. Randy,Santha and the Poodles

sbuckman

Reading this thread brings a lot of different emotions to surface. It is easy to attack the large corporation that employed you for decades and now is letting You
go. I am a small business owner. Did you make an effort to advance your skills so you could be asset to the corporation. They are providing for you a retirement
package. I also did not know that the forum was used to discuss the loss of jobs or receiving a retirement package. Randy,Santha and the Poodles

We are in the 'Non RV Related Discussion' part of the forum so I would assume as long as the post is non-offensive it is fair game.

To the OP, I am sorry that this came so unexpectedly. Glad you have a plan B and will pray that things go well for you and your family.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hubby had the same thing happen to him in his early 50's and so did my brother (development/research engineer). Nathan bounced back, finding another opportunity within his field but my brother didn't. He's now head of the engineering school at one of the major FL university. It most be something about being 50.