Considering either a BH 3585RL or BC 3450TS would like input :)

accrete

Greetings,
This is my first official post after spending ~2 weeks reading in the forum. I did a Big Horn verses Big Country and didn't find much so i'm posting this question...

After reading/researching i am not quite understanding what makes up the difference in MSRP between the two with the BH ~$5,400 above the BC. I do see in the BH options that Dual Pane Windows are listed which would pretty much be mandatory as the coach will be parked on the north-Oregon-coast year round for several years as a base of operations for my wife and i.

We saw some minor decor differences but both lines looked appealing and the floorplans are twins except for a slightly larger W/D cabinet in the BH, do i assume that in both coaches the units would properly face into the bedroom? (we would be ordering the unit with either the splendide combo or the stackables...after all the reading i'm leaning toward the stackables).

The only real wants besides what we see as standard on either are: W/D installed, MAX vinyl, Queen Bed, Dual Pane Windows (these were not listed in the BC info), and some kind of Power Line Monitor (still researching). The other item _might_ be to include the 5.5kw gen as we do find ourselves without power for maybe a total of a week??but maybe that is being to extreme to add the gen? Might be a luxury as we've lived for 20 years out here with the power outages and gotten buy with candles/LEDs and the camp stove on the back porch when needed!

Most likely we would be buying from a Portland dealer. There are two competing lots in the area, one with the BH line, the other with the BC. I've heard good things about both dealerships so that is not a factor...and besides, the unit will be a hundred miles from the nearest dealer so we might be on our own for all but the most major issues (grrrr...dislike even thinking of going into something _new_ that may have issues...but being realistic about it too.)

Anyway, thank you in advance for any comments. It seems like a good group and i've enjoyed devouring the forum.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Accrete, welcome to the forum. I see that you are really doing your homework.
There are several small things that seperate the BC and the BH. Look closely. Just like there are a number of things that seperate the BH and the Landmark.
Just choose the one you like.

Peace
Dave

accrete

Oh, one more afterthought... The coach would be in a park that only has 30AMP service. Now i understand the _how to_ of living with 30AMPs as my wife and i lived in a 32ft TT before the kids arrived so juggling appliances is ok with both of us. But do i have to concern myself with other issues with something as big as either of the models i mentioned above having the 30AMP service?

GOTTOYS

I'm thinking that putting Double pane windows in a BC would not be a big deal. There are several "options" they will install if you just ask. I don't know if I would go to the expense and loss of storage for a genny if you are only going to use it for one week annually. A smaller portable unit that you can put an extended run tank on like a Honda or Yammie would fill the bill for a lot less $$. It would probably be more economical to run also. There is isn't that much difference between the two brands anymore. I'm sure you be happy with either one....Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have the 3585 and love it. If you are on a 30 amp service you will soon learn what appliances you will be able to use or not use together. A few trips of the breaker will let you know. Other than that you should not have an issue using 30 amp service. Sometimes in a pinch we have gotten bye with 20 amp.

Peace
Dave

accrete

;)
"A few trips of the breaker will let you know..."
When we lived full time in our TT at the base of Mt Rose in Nevada we had to make several trips outside. Not to the breaker box, but rather the silly pilot on the hot water heater would blow out in the snow storms. We are both glad technology has advanced since those days.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We have a 2011 3585 and love it. We have seen several Big Countries they are really nice as well. we have friends with a Landmark there is differences between all of these. It all depends on your preference and the extras yon want or need. I also agree about the Generator there is no need to give up storage. I have a 4000 watt Champion and keep it in the bed of my TV, of course I have it locked in. Not in the way buy always there when you need it.. Good luck on making your decision I know we had a fun time making ours.. Either way I know you will enjoy your Heartland.
Larrry and Donna Keever
Oklahoma City, OK.
2010 Ford F-350 Lariet FX4 6.4 Diesel Dually
75 Gallon transfer flow fuel system
2011 BigHorn 3585 RL

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hello!

I can tell you a few small things about the 3450TS. I believe the Bighorn has better carpet. Our carpet is fine especially if you are weekend campers but I do see a difference between the two. Cabinet stiles in the Bighorn I believe are wood but synthetic in the BC. The Bighorn has a hydraulic slide overide system that allows you to select individual slides to extend should you need that option. So far it has been a none issue with us. The Bighorn uses a different light in the living areas as opposed to the older style RV lights in the BC.

We thought long and hard about which model to purchase and decided to get a bigger rig in the 3450 while staying within our RV budget. We also much prefer the aesthetics of the Big Country. Either rig will serve you well. Get the one that best fits your needs e.g. the one DW likes :)

If you have any qustions about the 3450 feel free to PM me!

Best Wishes!

caissiel

Its true the BC has no slide isolation valve that I had to install on the first week.

The seperate Splendide dryer has 13lbs capacity compared to the combination unit with 11lbs. We realy like the fact that we can wash and dry in one loading. Some prefer to wash and dry in tha same time, but we never needed it that way due to the non event of washing often.

We love our double pane windows in the north, well worth the price.

Real wood one the cupboard stiles would be great because the hinges will not hold good in composite as we have found out in our unit.

We use a 1500 Watt power plant weeks at a time and never miss any power here in the north. We have never planned on using AC on gas powered power plant anyway. Just use more propane appliances. Watch TV while charging the batteries.

ihsolutions

Perhaps there has been a change in the BC cabinets. I was told (and shown) that they are indeed all hardwood, but the difference is that in the BH they are stained to match the cabinet, and on the BC they are wrapped with a matching woodgrain sticker (for lack of a better term). This was on a new 2012 that I saw at the plant several weeks ago.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have had 2 Big Countrys, one of which is our current 2012 BC 3650. The other coach was an 2008 BC 3250. There are some noticable improvements between the 2 coaches, one being better insulations all the way around including the slides, as well as the cabinetry/wood trimming better quality. We ordered the new coach with dual pane windows which helped in the 100+ weather this summer - verdict is still out about the cold weather cuz it ain't here yet.

We had used a portable 4500 watt gen with the 3250 without any problems both dry camping in the winter as well as in the summer. It was much e-z'r to use a portable then loss the front storage area. We just had a trailer hitch installed on the coach and used a tray to carry it on. No Problems.

As far as the difference between the two coaches today - we didn't see anything that warranted the extra cost of the Big Horn. It's more preference of the user thou - we just didn't see that much difference so we stayed in the Big Country line.

Good luck and enjoy what ever you decide on.

Westwind

We went with the BH 3070 vs the BC 3250, DW had the final say on this one, she wanted her washer dryer facing out into the room, she didn't want to have to go into the closet to operate the W/D. Second was she disliked the vessel sink to the point that we were going to order the trailer and have it deleted and changed to a standard sink. The plus was the island, we didn't want it at first but now after loading our stuff into the trailer we appreciate the extra storage and counter space.
BC has upgraded the cabinets so that you can get the glazed maple and to me thats an improvement over the black & white but that is my preference. The other was the electric front legs vs the BC Hydraulic nice but not a big matter to me. Again it's all ones preference and what you like.

accrete

Many thanks to all who chimed in! I enjoyed reading all the info/comments.

I took a drive into portland today and looked on the two heartland dealer's lots and had a great time with both sale's crews. Very nice and professional. I looked at the 2012 BC 3450TS first. Then drove ~20minutes to the view a 2012 BH 3585RL.

My impressions. Both were very nice coaches. Both had the same "Bronze" interior with leather upgrades, fireplace... The only real differences in general decor/up-fit was 1) different (both pleasant) colors on the counter tops/curtains, and 3) dual pane windows installed in the BH. I do have this to say about the windows...inside the BC with single pane windows and chill in the air and inside the closed coach at ~4pm, then being inside the BH with dual pane windows a half hour later, it was noticeably more comfortable temp wise in the BH. Neither were hooked up to power so i'm thinking the windows were the difference? (both had a window or two cracked and one of the roof vents and sitting in similar sun exposure, HA! Sun in Oregon!).

The BC was ~5K less than the BH though looking around both of these units the BH appeared to have a slight bump up in trim level (like the difference in the cabinetry others have mentioned). Would i pay the difference? Actually i think i would...now i need to make a trip back in there with my wife : )

Time will tell.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
accrete, thanks for the report, We hope we're able to welcome you as a new owner soon. The dual pane windows are a great option. Many of us have them and wouldn't be without them in a future rig. They also help reduce the outside noise and condensation when the outside temps start to drop. Happy Shopping!

Wharton

This not is in regard to generator selection if you don't get a built in. We just finished boondocking with 40 other rigs for 2 weeks. All the motorhomes were in 1 row, everything else in another row. We had about 15 "others". One day I was walking the row and noticed everyone had a Honda 2000i or 3000. We have a 2000i and my wife can start it with no problems. Biggest challenge is for her to gas it. I bought a 6 gal tank and she can't lift it high enough(our generators had to be 2' off the dirt). So I bought her a 2 gal gas can in case she ever has to fill it and there are no guys around to do it for her.

2000 seemed good enough with some juggling. Couldn't run the toaster over so we went out and bought($7) a cheap toaster that could be used, we will just put it into our boondocking supplies. Microwave gave the generator some problems but after researching it found out if you abuse the generator for too long(30 mins) it will turn off automatically. The toaster oven used more watts than the microwave.

just an FYI.