Correct Way To Level Rig

My husband and I disagree on the proper way to level a travel trailer. I did a lot to camping as a child but my father did all the work then and I have no idea what he was doing. SO,,,this is how it goes: My husband thinks the trailer should be leveled and sitting on the tires. I think you back the trailer into the spot and level side to side, by put pieces of wood for leveling under the ties. Then you test front to back and I think we sat our jacks on a piece of wood, front and back, then we adjusted the jacks from that point in order to obtain perfect level and no shaky, rock and rolling trailer. BUT THE KEY POINT IS,,,,WE """NEVER""" LEFT OUR TRAILER ON THE TIRES, ALWAYS ON JACKS. Please email my your hints, I am not real computer savvy and I don't know if I will be able to find this site again. Thank you for all of your help, God
Bless and Happy Camping, Scooter,John an Gen

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Scooter-Hohn-GenMester1 and welcome to this great forum.
Actually you are both kinda correct.
You will want to level side to side first, then front to back.
But....do not support the trailer on the jacks. Leave the tires on the ground.
Depending on what kind of trailer you have will determine what those jacks do.
On a fifth wheel the front jacks will be leveling jacks, on a bumper pull the front jacks will be stabilizers. They will not support the weight of the trailer.
The rear jacks will be stabilizers on either style of trailer.
Oh, I moved your post to its own thread.
I will PM you on how to find your way to your posts.

Peace
Dave

aatauses

We have a fifth wheel and level this way--first side to side ( we may need to put blocking under the tires to get side to side level). Then unhook from the truck and use the legs to get level end to end. We then put down the rear stabilizers just to "snug up" (they will not support the weight of the unit--just get them snug). If we are going to stay any length of time (like 3-4 months) I may put a board or something under all tires to keep them off the ground (moisture issue).
al
currently in Crystal river FL

Sumo

I also level side to side first. But with the front of the 5th wheel slightly lower than level. I than put the back stabilizer jacks down and level the 5th wheel with the front jacks. Takes the weight off the tires makes thing a little less wiggly. (Yes I know stabilizer jack are not designed to be used this way.)

Crumgater

We put down boards to back the tires onto to level side to side, then used the front jacks to level front to back....

Until we installed the 4-pt Ground Control System a few months ago.
Now we can just park it, and use the jacks as needed.

No sure what kind of jacks you're using, but I wouldn't want to be walking around in a unit if the jacks holding it up weren't (1) rated for the load and (2) permanently attached to the frame.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We put down boards to back the tires onto to level side to side, then used the front jacks to level front to back....

Until we installed the 4-pt Ground Control System a few months ago.
Now we can just park it, and use the jacks as needed.

No sure what kind of jacks you're using, but I wouldn't want to be walking around in a unit if the jacks holding it up weren't (1) rated for the load and (2) permanently attached to the frame.

Same way I've been doing it since installing the Ground Control jacks a few years back. No more boards under the tires, no more jockeying the rig back and forth. And I don't lift the tires off the ground. No need for that.

TxCowboy

I hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old thread.

My 5er doesn't yet have the leveling gauges installed (they are on order). I know you level side to side first then front and rear. My question is -- which surface do you use to place your level on to determine when the RV is level?

When we first set it up, our friend used a small level and used the bottom of the freezer as it is located in the middle of the RV. I would think the hardwood floor in the middle of the RV would be better.

Clearly, I need to get this right so I can install the leveling gauges when they arrive. Thanks!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It is not real critical as to where you lay your level.
If you put it on the floor, in the refrigerator, in the bedroom or on the countertop all will show a different level point.
If you like your eggs in the middle of the pan then use the stove top.
As long as you feel comfortable with it it's okay.

Peace
Dave

Mrsfish

I have used a 6" level for years. In previous RV, the side to side was measured using the bottom frame of the rear window (from the outside). In the new bighorn I use the island. I know that if I'm going to be off at all I am willing to be off-door side high. I cannot sleep with my head low at all and the bedroom slide is off door. My DH and I have developed a routine where he drives and I direct when we are parking and that includes me establishing how much leveling is needed and he puts us there. As in another thread today, you know you've been rving for a while when you set up in under 10. That's us.

Mrsfish

"My DH and I have developed a routine where he drives and I direct when we are parking"

okay, my 2015 resolution is for more honesty. He drives and I direct all the time:). I read somewhere that the official title for my role is the 'nagigator'

Birchwood

Never seen many trailers with wheels off the ground unless they are staying for a few years.Although if you have
a New Horizon fifth wheel their landing gear is capable of jacking the wheels off the pave.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Never seen many trailers with wheels off the ground unless they are staying for a few years.Although if you have
a New Horizon fifth wheel their landing gear is capable of jacking the wheels off the pave.

I lift my Landmark completely off the wheels/tires occasionally using my Level-up system. It's not a capability unique to New Horizons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I generally always try to park it level side to side, then I'll lower the front of the trailer and set the rear jacks, then raise the front of the trailer so it is just slightly above level, then drop the front down on top of the jacks.

Once this is done . . . I'll put out the slide and place the slide supports!

CamperJacks-IMG_0507.jpg CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2108.jpg CheyenneMntSunset-IMG_2100.jpg

By the by . . . I have removed the front scissor jacks from my trailer, and will probably remove the rear ones soon!