COSTCO golf cart battery

szewczyk_john

I finally talked a friend of mine into spending his money on a set of 6 volt batteries for his Jayco travel trailer. He doesn't have much to spend but he left his 12 volt battery on his unit and it froze on him so he has to spend something anyway. I noticed that cost go has a 6 volt golf cart battery for $85.00. is anyone using these? I paid a lot more for by name brand batteries but I have never been disappointed by the COSTCO brand stuff before. Even if they are not the best 6 volt batteries are two of these still better than one or even two 12 volt marine batteries. I would think so but I figured someone out there has already tried these. Just looking for any experiences out there.

brianharrison

I don't think you can go wrong with Costco (Kirkland) batteries.

There are 7 or 8 (at last count) of manufacturers in the US that make batteries - Johnson Controls I believe is still the largest. Maybe someone else can chime in with their knowledge of who makes Kirkland Deep cell batteries.

In any event, I would compare weight of the costco vs trojan batteries - usually the heavier, the more lead inside, better Ah and performance.

If you are looking for other options, US Battery make a very good lead-acid flooded battery. Here is their link. I have had success in finding battery places that order in "blemished" batteries (ie usually visual blemishes) that sell for a good discount off retail. Someone in your area might know or help you find a retailer whom sells blemished.

My thoughts,
Brian

EDIT: found this on another site - I also know of Superior Battery, US Battery, Crown Battery, and Trojan (of course). Note some of these only manufacture deep cells, hence the reference below to only 4 for automotive....

Ummm, sorry but there's 4 companies that manufacture almost ALL auto batteries sold in the US. They are JCI, East Penn, Exide, and Johnson Controls Ind.(bought out Delphi). Johnson Controls manufactures Duralast (Autozone), Diehard (Sears), Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), some Everstart (Walmart), and Interstate. Exide manufactures Exide, NAPA, Champion, and some Everstart as well. Also, save your money if you're considering an Optima battery. I've owned a couple (in my race car), and they aren't anything special. Contrary to popular belief, the Everstart battery sold at Walmart for around $82 is one of the best, along with the Kirkland. Costco has the best warranty in the industry.

Last edited: