Cracked fender skirts

tdp100508

I recently found that both fender skirts on my less than 6 month old Landmark 365 Newport have cracked. Has anyone else had this happen?

C2D5E64F-8D97-4138-B6A8-723A3105F120.jpg74A12980-8999-443F-8BCD-CF2B4EF74840.jpg6CD9D4F7-819F-476D-99BF-C9F15544DD1C.jpgFFF5E911-9A0D-4014-97FA-2092A4891E18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tdp100508

Any possibility that you have wheel imbalance. A neighbor of ours blew the fenders off his trailer when he replaced tires but skipped balancing them.

Good thought but no the tires are perfect. It happened while sitting in cold weather (0-10 degrees) I am thinking the screws were over tightened when installed and there was already a small crack. Then the cold made the metal contract cracking the plastic fender skirt much more. There is a lot of flex there. Heartland already confirmed that they will replace them. Maybe better bracing will have to be installed.

danemayer

Cracked fenders have been happening for many years. I've replaced the fenders on our 2011 LM more than once. The last time I used JB Weld epoxy and Gorilla tape behind each hole to spread the load across a large surface area, and also made sure that the fenders were held well by the L-brackets underneath. I've put a couple of thousand miles on at freeway speed since then and so far so good.

Others have used rubber washers to ensure the screw heads don't stress the plastic. But I've never tried that.

tdp100508

Cracked fenders have been happening for many years. I've replaced the fenders on our 2011 LM more than once. The last time I used JB Weld epoxy and Gorilla tape behind each hole to spread the load across a large surface area, and also made sure that the fenders were held well by the L-brackets underneath. I've put a couple of thousand miles on at freeway speed since then and so far so good.

Others have used rubber washers to ensure the screw heads don't stress the plastic. But I've never tried that.

Thanks for sharing this. I will be the one doing the replacement installation and definitely will make as many improvements as I can. The L brackets from the factory are definitely not enough. There is way too much flex. I am surprised the factory has not improved on this. I have to say that the Landmark is a nice trailer but so far I have been disappointed with the build quality. The only upside is my gain of experience working on my own trailer is a plus while I am in training to become a certified tech! ;)

CoveredWagon

Good thought but no the tires are perfect. It happened while sitting in cold weather (0-10 degrees) I am thinking the screws were over tightened when installed and there was already a small crack. Then the cold made the metal contract cracking the plastic fender skirt much more. There is a lot of flex there. Heartland already confirmed that they will replace them. Maybe better bracing will have to be installed.

Cold weather makes sense. Just my thinking, but I’d attach the new ones with nuts and bolts and rubber washers on both sides using a little larger holes. Wouldn’t tighten them up too tight and use a drop of Loctite on the bolts. That’d give room for a little expansion/contraction.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw I’m going to install Centramatic balancers before next season.

travlingman

Mine cracked after setting in cold wet weather. Talked to dealer and they had some crack just setting on the lot. I think it is the cold weather and water getting in hole and freezing thawing causing the plastic to crack.

Piperflyer

Mine cracked after setting in cold wet weather. Talked to dealer and they had some crack just setting on the lot. I think it is the cold weather and water getting in hole and freezing thawing causing the plastic to crack.
Mine cracked and the RV has never seen cold weather

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Mine cracked and the RV has never seen cold weather

Same here.
After dealer replaced under warranty, I removed the new ones and added a piece of gorilla tape over the hole on the backside. When I reinstalled I made sure to do it but hand not with an impact wrench/driver. Over torqued doesn’t help.
Additionally I’ve added additional jwrap supports to help minimize the fenders and jwrap from flopping in the wind while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John T Bettencourt

The true reason they cracked is that the factory tighten the screws to much. I see this all the time. Bought new ones for mine and had to buy both sides although I only needed one side Heartland would not sell me one side. Then you ave to get them painted. It was costly. And all just because someone didn't pay attention.