"Creaking" noises coming from Level Up jacks

im_1406

Anyone ever hear "creaking" or "settling" sounds coming from your level up jacks? I do every now and then. I found this on another forum and wondered if it is to treat these sounds. Anyone try this? It's a Lippert Service Bulletin as well.

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Exterior/Stabs_n_Leveling/Lippert/LIP%200295%20-%20NOISY%20JACKS%20-%20Adding%20Anti-Stiction%20Fluid%20to%20LCI%20Hydraulic%20Systems.pdf

ADDING ANTI-STICTION FLUID TO LCI HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS

Introduction:
If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below:

1. Torco RFF Grade 15 (Fig. 1)

2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15 (Fig. 2)

3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891 (Fig. 3)

For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the audible disturbance.

Preparation:

1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid)

2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.)

3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.

Process:

1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir.

2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid.

3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully.

4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid.

5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.

6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owner's Manual.

NOTE:

If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.

Fig. 1 Fig. 2 Fig. 3

Attached Thumbnails

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you are going to do the "fix", I suggest using the Cat additive. It is the additive, not oil with an additive.
I think I priced the Cat additive at just under $30/qt.

Peace
Dave

im_1406

Thanks Dave. Price seems about right. Glad you mentioned this......I just placed (and cancelled) an order for one of the other Oils w/ additive.

Sincerely,
Paul

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I found the Maxima Fork oil online for less than $10.00 each and added 2 qts and have had no more popping noises since

Rod

im_1406

The nearest CAT dealer is an hour away. Any recommendations for where else to purchase. I could not find anything online other than the two non-CAT oils with additives.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that the only place you will find the Cat additive is at a Cat dealer.
You might just want to put up with the noise for a while and look for a Cat dealer during your travels.

Peace
Dave

im_1406

Re: "Creaking" noises coming from Level Up jacks

Thanks! Curiosity got too you :)

gasman

Camp Socializer
I bought the Cat additive in Phoenix about a month ago for $32/qt. No more creaks except from my knees!