cruise control

Bighurt

Big, the 62 MPH is for California. Once out of Ca. I usually set about 68-70 depending on the terrain. I like to keep the RPM's about 1650-1750. The fuel mileage is better. I don't have as much downshifting at those RPM's.

I try to keep mine around the 1800 mark which in the flat land of ND usually means 70. A month or so ago I was hauling near 16K west on I-40 into Cline's corner NM. I was burning fuel like it was free all the way west, managed 65 till Amarillo then the winds were to high and I had to cut back to 55. NM was evil though saw EGT's near max pulling the grades...smoked out a few Prius owners which made my day. Only had to kick cruise out once as the TCM didn't get to a shift point and she went dropped a gear while in overdrive, that probably doesn't make sense but neither did the resulting effect. Needless to say I never duplicated the event.

Still I like to hit a grade in Cruise and see what the TCM wants to do, if I don't agree I kick her out while I have the throttle and back her down. Of course hauling with a race tune isn't a good idea either.

Moral of all stories is that the Driver is in control, just like spell-check the computer is only as good as the guy who wrote the software. Can't tell you how many kids drive with cruise here in the winter and wonder why they were in the ditch. The word Smart should never be placed before the nomenclature of an inanimate object. And cruise control should come with a disclaimer.

PhotoPete

Bighurt, I have been doing Full walk around with a light and brake check for 25 years. it really is the only prudent way to tow. The one or two times I neglected to do a walk around were the times i drove over the chocks or left something in camp that should have been packed.

Bighurt

Bighurt, I have been doing Full walk around with a light and brake check for 25 years. it really is the only prudent way to tow. The one or two times I neglected to do a walk around were the times i drove over the chocks or left something in camp that should have been packed.

I agree, however just because we do doesn't mean everyone does. It just surprised me as I've never seen someone do it and into such depth. In fact if they had not done the walk around I was prepared to get up out of my chair as they left the antenna up. Sure enough they caught it. I do it not only for my safety and piece of mind but the total rig weight is 20k+ that poses a big risk to others if something is not right. I commend those that do, and try and teach those that don't.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Big, my walk-a-rounds are the OL' trucker in me. The OL' sniff and kick it. I do use my mirrors alot making sure that stuff doesn't fall off or smoke is coming from somewhere.

Are you sure that this new generation of kids aren't inanimate objects. A car never drove itself into a ditch..it was the YO-YO driving that did.

Bighurt

Bob, same here except the Ol' part I just do as I learned. I do tire pressure check pre departure but kick the tires at stops, I also feel the tires. When I learned to drive it was check your gauges, mirrors and road position ever 5-15 seconds. With a load my neck gets a work out, to the point I've used the power mirror to move the mirror to get a better angle on tie-downs, tarps, etc. The power mirror also comes in handy for passanger side backing, just move it as the rear of the trailer gets out of vision. Great tool!

This generation of kids definitely has issues. Had a 3 star tell me once that troops coming in the USAF today are smarter than in all years past. I respectfully disagree, kids today may be tech savy but I'm in maintenance and I grew up with a wrench, shovel, and board games. Kids today grow up with a Xbox controller. I never thought I'd have to teach someone how to use a wrench let alone what a wrench is. It gets worse every-year, I have airmen talk about jobs they have online and what they and their game spouse do for a living, yet these guys are still single in the dorms.

I can't say to much I did get a Nintendo at some point. But at what point are kids going to ask what the pedals in the car are for and why the steering wheel doesn't have dual sticks, a pressure sensitive directional pad, two analog triggers, a Back button, a Start button, and six 8-bit analog action buttons.

To keep this on thread our unit does have in the newcommers brief discussion items such as speed on ice roads and that cruise control isn't safe to use on ice, and I believe the NDDOT divers manual has a section on it as well.

I look at cruise control as a tool allowing me to do more visual checks without having to worry about pedal pressure. Just wish the motorpool was fully equipped.

pegmikef

I use cruise control and of course the old first sergeant in me has me using hook up, disconnect tear down, arrival and departure inspection check lists for visual inspections. Works well