Curb side Basement/Cargo door

blkdodge

Sorry I was talking to someone about a street and typed (streetside) instead of (curbside).How does one replace the hinge channel on this basement door? The section that attaches to the door has begun to crack at the bend and make a popping noise every time I open or close the door. Seems to me that a real hinge instead of the current type(I don't know what type to call it) would last better. Thoughts?

GOTTOYS

Mine have held up well. If it's making a popping noise and starting to crack it sounds to me like something might be bent. I'd call Heartland Customer Service and order the correct replacement hinge instead of try to rig something, but that's just me...Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Seems to me that a real hinge instead of the current type(I don't know what type to call it) would last better. Thoughts?

You may be thinking of wanting to use a piano hinge, similar to the one in the picture. Trace

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I spray lubricant in those track type hinges periodically and it really helps them move easily. We have the same hinges and have been fulltiming almost three years with no problems. Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997

wildwolfproducts

On ours we have had to redo the mounting of the hinge 2 times and will be doing it again as soon as its warm enough. Screws and Rivets pull out of the door and cause the issue on ours. I push the clip and remove the cylinder that holds the door. Those I feel are stronger then the basement door needs. That or mine are messed up..
Replaced with new screws and rivets the last time. This time will be filling holes with 2 part epoxy and then drill out and put new screws and Rivets in. And will be adding an extra one between each one on it. This has only happened on the pass side left side of the door. So will also replace the Cylinders on this door and see if that is the issue. But think its from my wife grabbing and pulling down on one side rather then the middle of the door. We have had a good long talk after this last round with the door. As it only has issues when she is closing it.:angel:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
On ours we have had to redo the mounting of the hinge 2 times and will be doing it again as soon as its warm enough. Screws and Rivets pull out of the door and cause the issue on ours. I push the clip and remove the cylinder that holds the door. Those I feel are stronger then the basement door needs. That or mine are messed up..
Replaced with new screws and rivets the last time. This time will be filling holes with 2 part epoxy and then drill out and put new screws and Rivets in. And will be adding an extra one between each one on it. This has only happened on the pass side left side of the door. So will also replace the Cylinders on this door and see if that is the issue. But think its from my wife grabbing and pulling down on one side rather then the middle of the door. We have had a good long talk after this last round with the door. As it only has issues when she is closing it.:angel:

Was that the sound of a skillet being thrown that I just heard? :rolleyes: