Curt Q16: help with buying correct height unit

greco424

I'm a new owner of a 2015 Elkridge 35TSRL. I also bought a 2015 GMC 2500HD 4x4 crew cab (gasser) as a tow vehicle after reading the loads and what this could handle. I like the Curt Q16 slider hitch (I have the 6.5 ft. bed). I have had the rail brackets already put in so I only need the slider assembly. When both units are on level ground, the truck bed looks too high.
Height from ground to bottom plate of pin is about 46 inches. Plate of pin is about 11 inches from bottom of the unit. Sidewall of the GMC is about 21 inches. So if I'm suppose to keep about 6 inches between unit and the top of the side rails of the truck, then about 5 inches is left on the pin to go into the hitch. The Q16 has a height adjustment from 17.5 - 21.5 inches. Will this work and how do I keep unit level. I know the truck height will drop a little after the unit is hitched but can I raise the unit that much more initially to couple them? HELP.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think it would be best if you get your hitch installed and hitch up.
No sense in guessing when you can hitch up and know what the measurements are going to be.
Your truck will probably squat more than you think.

Peace
Dave

Cjackg

Nose high problems are an ailment of the recent model Chevy's due to the high bed sides.... and trailer mfgs have not raised clearance to compensate....
Not easily corrected....

A couple of related suggestions...
Consider the Curt Q20 or the Q24 instead....nice insurance for very few bucks.
Reconsider the slider... 88 degree radius turning on the HL units means you are far more likely to damage the truck side rails with the hitch long before bumping the cab...

Good Luck!

greco424

cookie: I was planning on buying hitch online and would be expensive to ship back if wrong height. I may have to buy locally and have them install it. Thanks for help, John
Cjackg: I'll look at Q20 , my only concern is the initial hook up if the front jacks can't raise the unit high enough to hook up to the Curt hitch.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Most hitches are adjustable up or down. I did not have any problems installing my hitch into my 2013 GMC 3500. It still has the same height setting that was used in my 2007 2500. No clearance problems with the higher bed rails. Me thinks you are over thinking it. Get the hitch, install it, and adjust up or down from there. 6-7" is good to go. BTW, you do not need a slider....save your money.