Curt Q24 or Reese 30083 Slider?

Dennyha

I've noted this in some other posts, but I thought I'd get it all out in a fresh post, looking for some insights, or others' experiences.

I have a 2014 RAM 3500 4x4 SRW (6.5’ bed) for my TV. My 5er is a 2015 Cyclone 3010, with the 88 degree corners. I just sold my B&W Companion for the RAM OEM inserts. Even in the lowest height settings, I rode about 2” nose high on the 5er. I had the hitch head mounted in the rearmost setting, and in the lowest setting. On some pretty sharp corners, I would not contact the cab, but it looked like it came close. Since I couldn’t get the camper level (stock truck, stock camper) with the B&W, I sold it. Initially, I planned to get the Curt Q24 with the RAM mounts, as it adjusts from 13” -17” in height, whereas the B&W adjusted from 17” – 19” in height. Then I started looking at sliders. I’m considering the Reese 30083, mounted on the Reese picture frame 30154. The picture frame adds about 1” of height over standard bed rails. I’m afraid with the Reese slide, on the picture frame, I’d be at about 16”-16.5” in height (not much lower than my B&W Companion), but I’d be fairly worry free on corners in tight areas. With the Curt, I could get the camper level, but I don’t know how the corners would work (Curt has no front/back adjustments that I am aware of, and it's not a slider.)

Am I better off to get the camper level, and not have a slider, or should I get the slider, and probably not be able to get the camper level?

I still don’t understand why I am having such a hard time getting a hitch that will work without compromise on my stock 2014 RAM truck, to pull my stock 2015 Cyclone?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had a 6' 6" box on my last truck and in the 7 years I towed a Bighorn I never had a problem with my Curt hitch.
When I got my current truck I bought new legs for the Curt head and installed it in my RAM puck system.
Trailer still runs a bit nose high but not bad and I intend to leave it that way.

Peace
Dave

Bones

I have a reese sidewinder and a reese 20k puck hitch. The hitch is at 17 inches roughly and with the sidewinder worked well.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really need the sidewinder anymore since I upgraded the truck and got an 8 foot bed but I still use it

Dennyha

I had a 6' 6" box on my last truck and in the 7 years I towed a Bighorn I never had a problem with my Curt hitch.
When I got my current truck I bought new legs for the Curt head and installed it in my RAM puck system.
Trailer still runs a bit nose high but not bad and I intend to leave it that way.

Peace
Dave
That's the kind of anecdote I was looking for. Thanks.