CY 4000 questions

Out house just sold, and this September, my wife and I are going to go the Full-time RV route- at least until we finish exploring the US and decide where to settle back down. We were leaning towards the Voltage 3895, as it fit the requirements for a full-time toy hauler. However after getting onto Heartlands web site, we have now seen the CY4000 and RW390 floor plans, and question how much we really needed that extra 1/2 bath for the 2 of us. I have to admit, I/we like the split room design when it comes to a Toy Hauler.

Questions:
  • The RW390 is a neat design, but we need a washer/dryer. I am not to keen on loosing garage space to a washer dryer, however I don't see any other option- is there? Also the kitchen storage appears smaller. Maybe in the new floor models coming up this will change?
  • CY4000- looks like there has been little changes for the better from the 2013 / 2014 models. For example, the fireplace is now centered instead of behind the couch. what other little tweaks have been done? How exactly does the L couch get extended in front of the sink? Is this an add on seat?
  • For just 2 people the majority of the time (no kids), do we really need an extra half bath?
  • I need a desk area, as this will be for full-time office use too. Can I change the love sofa out on the CY4000 for a built in Desk / book cabinet? Where else could I setup a computer station full-time?
  • The garage- I prefer to leave that for the breakfast area, storage and 2 Labradors!

Thanks,
Jason

danemayer

Hi jasperkins,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Factory people read many of the posts in this part of the forum, but may not see every one. If you don't get answers in the next day or two, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. Identify yourself as a prospective customer and ask for the Toy Hauler Brand Manager.

remoandiris

Jason,

My wife and I looked at numerous THs. THe 390 was at the top of the list. The WIDE OPEN living area is just wonderful. However, the kitchen has MINIMAL storage space and ONE electrical outlet (next to the cooktop). KRAZY! If you can live with that, I'd go that route. A person in another thread, maybe in the Road Warrior forum here, replied to me the kitchen storage has increased marginally for 2014. BTW, isn't the washer/dryer in the bedroom? It's been a few months and I don't remember.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2014 CY4000. Just waiting for a call back from the dealer for a few mods to my build sheet. Original build had a lot of stuff I decided I really don't need and they just add to the cost. Things like 3 extra tvs, 12 cf fridge, dual pane windows (regular windows still meet Heartland's heat and cold treatment testing). Doesn't have the wide open living area like the 390, but RVing is all about compromise.

It is me, wife, 2 Boxers and a Maine Coon. We need only 1 bathroom. Litter box will go in one of the cabinets in the bathroom. Dog bowls will probably go in the garage, but may have to put a water bowl somewhere in the kitchen if it is too hot or cold to have the sliding glass door open all the time.

Other little tweaks I noticed from the 2013/2014 4000;
livingroom carpet is GONE!!
Control panel at the stairs is behind a cabinet door leaving a cleaner (I think) look.
Gone is that silly seat in the bedroom and it is replaced by closet space. YAY!
Kitchen wallpaper above the stove ends at the kitchen instead of continuing into the livingroom. Good move!

L couch arm slides out, wooden seat base gets installed, seat pad gets put on top of the wood base, seat back gets put into brackets on the sides of the next seat and the armrest. At least that is how the 2013 works.

The factory will delete the loveseat if you want, but you'll get VERY little discount for it. Better to order it with the loveseat, sell it, and have a desk built for the available space. About the only other place would be a corner of the garage. Oh, and the 12' garage isn't. Measured a 2013 yesterday and it was closer to 11'3".

Bill

Last edited:
hi jason, welcome to heartland family and 4000 club.. Took del of my 2014 4000 4wks ago and except for some electrical issues and missing arm bracket on slide out chair, which took 2 wks to get, all is good.. Couple ideas I found for extra kitchen space, first, look under sink, there is a panel screwed to floor, take the 2 screws out where panel is mounted to floor and remove panel. It opens up some addt'l space for storage..

second idea, look to left of sink, on bottom.. There is panel, not accessible to open, but if you poke your head behind sink with flashlight, you will notice quite large unused area, behind the panel. I am going to cut out panel, install door to match other side and use the large open space for even more kitchen storage. What a wasted space.

finally, check the lift distance of bed platform, when raised. The lift distance on ours was minimal to say the least. When I questioned it, on delivery, the mechanic confirmed factory had installed shorter 26" length hydraulic lifts. I requested they be replaced with longer 36" units so as to allow more height when raising bed. Sure makes diff when storing items... Be safe, jim