Cyclone 300c walkthrough

Lndeatr

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am am an experienced RV owner but new to Heartland. I pick up my 2013 Cyclone 300c from the dealer on Friday. Here is a link. http://www.panpacificrvs.com/8090.html I was wondering if anyone has any advice for the walkthrough to identify any areas of concern specific to the this model (or similar) besides the obvious. I have been researching reviews etc and I am having a hard time finding complaints which is a good thing. My wife and I decided to upgrade from our 2005 Cougar to a TH so we can haul our Harley. Any suggestions on installing wheel chocks? Thanks, Martin

jimtoo

Hi Martin,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I cannot think of anything specific about the Cyclones to look for. I would suggest you make sure everything works and you can work everything. From water hookups to draining the tanks. A/C's to heater and everything in between. I'm sure some of our other family members will jump in soon with more suggestions.

I am moving your thread to the Cyclone area where more of out members will see it and offer help.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi Lndeatr,

Congratulations on your new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I expect you'll get some PDI suggestions soon. One thing I'd suggest is staying at or near the dealer for a day or two in case you have questions or something needs to be adjusted/repaired. That'll give you a chance to really use all the systems and the dealer will probably give you priority in the service queue - especially if you discuss your plans with them before taking delivery.

And of course don't hesitate to post questions here and fill us in on your adventures.

Lndeatr

Hi Lndeatr,

Congratulations on your new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I expect you'll get some PDI suggestions soon. One thing I'd suggest is staying at or near the dealer for a day or two in case you have questions or something needs to be adjusted/repaired. That'll give you a chance to really use all the systems and the dealer will probably give you priority in the service queue - especially if you discuss your plans with them before taking delivery.

And of course don't hesitate to post questions here and fill us in on your adventures.

Thanks jimtoo and danemeyer. Looking forward to any suggestions. I did find some complaints about brakes and tires but they are all a couple years old. I am hoping those issues have been resolved. Of course I realize for every person that has a complaint, there are 500 people that have no complaints. I feel like I am ten again and it is December 23rd.

Ladiver

As far as tires go. Get them upgraded or replaced. I just took delivery of a Cyclone 3100, on Saturday, that has Towmax tires. One already has a crack in the side wall. I am ordering Goodyear G614's today.

Jeff

Lynn1130

1. Water leaks. Be sure that the fresh water tanks are filled and sit long enough to discover any leaks. The crossover from one tank to the other can be a leak problem. Check all water connections under sinks and around the water heater. Also be sure that the winterizing levers are all in the correct positions. Mine were not and I had no hot water on the shakedown.
2. Ladder rub at the roof line. This was a common problem and may have been corrected by Heartland but the ladder makes contact with the roof where it attaches and rubs through the roof.
3. Alignment of cabinet doors and framing around the sliding door to the garage.
4. Living room slide. Make sure it does not drag on the carpet and operates properly in and out.
5. Shower-make sure that the bottom of the glass is sealed to the base and does not leak.
6. Check all of the trim around doors to the bathroom and bedroom. Mine were not attached.
7. Start the generator and let it run while you are checking the rest of the trailer. Check all 120 outlets.
8. Slam door on the drivers side. Check the piston connections both on the door and to the inside of the storage as they are not attached well and will work loose.
9. Water leak from the UDC to the storage bin next to it and the carpet gets wet. (There is a fix for this but it really should be done by the dealer IMHO)
10. Low water pressure at any faucet. This usually is debris from the tanks caught in the faucet itself.

Those are the issues that came up the first few weeks of our ownership. Nothing major other than the slide and there will be other little items that pop up. Normal stuff but catching it before you drive off the lot may save some time later.

Obviously the 300 may be different in some areas so use what ever fits for you
AND TIRES-I have no idea what tires are on the 300 but a search here will give you and idea of what tires some owner have had issues with.

FiremanBill

Well I was going to give my input but Lynn pretty much covered it all. My only issue was the generator. The dealer had put fuel in it when they first got it on the lot and apparently it had set for quite some time and it had junk in the fuel.

During the PDI we only did a short run, not long enough for it to start surging under load due to the gummed up carb. I was going to take it back for service but being somewhat mechanically inclined I was able to take the carb off and clean it out easy enough. No issues since.

Some folks have complained of leaks. Fortunately I have not had that issue and could not be happier with our unit.

Good luck and enjoy!

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Check to be sure the GVWR sticker reflects 16klbs and not 14klbs. That was a issue on earlier models such as mine.

Stuff to consider.

Replace the tires to something of quality. The 300c is to heavy for a tandem axle setup and should have been a triple. Don't ever consider putting 2500 lbs in the garage if every tank is dry. Your trailer axles will be about 1,000lbs over weight.

They also tend to fish tail pretty easily if you have a toy in the garage. Doesn't take much weight back there to offset the trailer in a bad way.

Here is the weight slip of my 300c with my Polaris RZR in the garage.

photo-3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Lndeatr

Thanks, especially Lynn. I went by today while working and they were inspecting it and detailing it. The generator was running and I saw someone physically checking the water lines. I will go through it with a fine tooth comb on Friday. I figure I will bring up the issues I want them to fix but will do the detail issues like trim, leaks etc as I want to make sure they are done right. I figure my 30 years of experience is better then the 22 year old guy that has the repair list. I think I will also cut and paste Lynn's list with a few additions and email the manager. If he knows what I am gonna look at, he will make sure I don't find anything.

Talked with my local bike shop and they gave me their recommendations on removable wheel clocks for my Harley. The issue is they bolt through the floor. From what I have read, I need to drop one of the fuel tanks. Is there any hidden wiring or vents that I will rip out the first time I do it or is it straight forward?

Thanks again. T-50 hours............

mattpopp

Trouble Maker

Talked with my local bike shop and they gave me their recommendations on removable wheel clocks for my Harley. The issue is they bolt through the floor. From what I have read, I need to drop one of the fuel tanks. Is there any hidden wiring or vents that I will rip out the first time I do it or is it straight forward?

Thanks again. T-50 hours............

Bolt through the floor is great but be sure you also bolt through a metal floor base/runner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

porthole

Retired
Martin
I have over 18K now with toys in the garage with zero issues. My tie downs have worked well (E-glide and/or golf cart)

Easiest to start is a chock that will allow ride in - step off. I have used BikePro with good results, bolted down and have switched to Condor's. At first the condors were bolted down but I no longer do that. The chocks keep the bike steady, the straps keep it in place.

The link below in my signature has some pictures of my tie downs.

Dont want to change the subject of the thread but i'm new to this and have a question. i just purchased the torque 5th wheel and noticed some people use a tripod to support the pin on the 5th wheel. Is anyone using it and is it worth it? i get conflicting advise from the people i know

jimtoo

Dont want to change the subject of the thread but i'm new to this and have a question. i just purchased the torque 5th wheel and noticed some people use a tripod to support the pin on the 5th wheel. Is anyone using it and is it worth it? i get conflicting advise from the people i know

Hi Fordsfinest,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I have tried the tripod and did not see that it made that much difference.,,, it helped,, but very little. I have the J T Strongarms which do a much better job. I'm sure you will get some more suggestions also.

Enjoy the forum and your Cyclone.

Jim M

porthole

Retired
Save the money from the tripods and if anything buy the JT Strongarm or the similar product by UltraFab (I think)

PBAJ

I carry two motorcycles in my '09 3210, and don't use aftermarket wheel chocks. Instead, I made two chocks myself, using schedule 40 PVC pipe. They don't have to be bolted through the floor, and can be easily removed when hauling my Polaris ATV. I also have PVC bicycle racks. I could send photos, if you like, but the design is so simple that anybody with a little mechanical know-how should be able to figure it out. They're cheap, easy to make, very convenient, and work as well as anything.

porthole

Retired
The ramp can be steep, and if wet a real issue.

Backing out I do not use the brake. I wrap the brake hand tight around the grip to avoid temptation to grab the front brake

I use 1st gear and only use the clutch (not running) to back out. Keeps the weight transfer on the rear tire.

denverkas

9. Water leak from the UDC to the storage bin next to it and the carpet gets wet.

I am new to the whole Forum scene. I am trying to get a grasp on certain abbreviations. What is the UDC? I ask this because I took delivery of my Cyclone 4000 about 6 weeks ago and last week on a trip my grey tank for the bathtub filled and before my wife alerted me to this, grey water started leaking into my storage area and then stopped leaking once I drained the grey water tank. I didn't know if that is what you were referring to.