Cyclone 3110 & Ford F350 DRW Hitch & Pinbox

Zoomzoommo

Going with an 18k B&W hitch for the '12 Ford F350 DRW, and am considering upgrading the standard Lippert pinbox to the Reese 5th Airborne. Does anyone know where I can find the Lippert number on the Cyclone pin box? This sticker is on the pinbox, but it sems to be the Lippert chassis information:

2A10FB6A-6938-4EF5-AE04-7E921FB32EFB-11932-000007DA7CC7AA26.jpg

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
The lippert pin box is 1621HD and the Airborne part number is 5AB-E1621-610.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
You will not regret the decision to switch from the stock Lippert to the 5th Airborne. We just changed ours over to the 5th Airborne and the ride difference is amazing! It removes ALL of the chucking (back and forth movement) and the jaring from rough and uneven roads (up and down movement) is so minimal now it is incredible. We have a section of Interstate 5 north of us that litterally felt like it was tearing our truck and trailer apart when we drove over the separated concrete on the freeway before the 5th Airborne. Now when we drive over those the sections, it is so much better that I couldn't believe it at first. If you get the new 5th Airborne pin box and you are towing a larger fifth wheel (Big Horn, Big Country, Landmark, Cyclone or Road Warrior), you will want to move the airbag mount back as far as it goes to maximize the airbag leverage to get the correct adjustment.

Zoomzoommo

Foxhunter, did you install the 5th Airborne yourself or outsource the installation? If you did it yourself, was it pretty straightforward?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Installing the new pin box is not hard. You will need help cause they are heavy or you can do what I did. I had the UPS guy help me put in the bed of my TV. I installed it from there. The old one will become a boat anchor cause no one wants it. Go sell it for scrap iron. Make sure you get one rated for the pin weight of your CY.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I did it myself, however I had access to a forklift to help me lift the old pin box out of the way and the new pin box into place. Once the old one is out and the new pin box in place, it is nothing more than bolting it up and then relocating your emergency breakaway box to the new pin box. And as I said in the first post, you will have to move the airbag to the back set of mounting holes on bottom side of the pin box.

Foxhunter, did you install the 5th Airborne yourself or outsource the installation? If you did it yourself, was it pretty straightforward?

Zoomzoommo

Great. I have a forklift at my future storage location and will recruit a mechanically competent friend to assist.

scottyb

Good choice on the hitch and pin box. I think you will be happ with it. Although I never pulled my rig with the factory pin box, I had heard the same description of chucking and bucking as For20hunter described, and decide not to experience that. You could also set it on the hitch and back up to your Cyclone and use the landing gear to adjust to it. That's what I do when I remove my Companion from the truck, and just leave it hanging on the king pin until I need it again.

Zoomzoommo

You could also set it on the hitch and back up to your Cyclone and use the landing gear to adjust to it. That's what I do when I remove my Companion from the truck, and just leave it hanging on the king pin until I need it again.

Why didn't I think of that? Great suggestion!

Zoomzoommo

The hitch is on the truck, and the 5th Airborne pin box is on the 3110. First pull happens in a week, 30 miles from the dealer to the building where it'll be stored. Shore power in building is ready.

Zoomzoommo

Towed the 3110 about 30 miles from the dealer to the storage building. This was my first time to pull a 5er and the experience was drama free. Had the trailer brake gain set on 7, airbags at 60# loaded, and it pulled, braked and rode beautifully.

367DFB98-9E35-4A29-A7AE-FF5988DB0DFC-11598-00000882E65555D9.jpg