Cyclone 3795 landing gear problem

sbryan

The passenger side landing gear has sheared off where the drive tube connects to the gear shafts. The gear shafts is what failed at the spot where the pin connects through the gear drive shat. Anyone ever had this landing gear apart and know what I'm getting into to try and repair it. I am camping in VT right now. I can probably raise the landing gear enough to move the rig if I have to. I'm going to try to attach a couple of photos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk now Free

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381179841838.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381179841838.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 100

sbryan

Looks like I have to reply to add the 2nd picture.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381180701239.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381180701239.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 101

sbryan

Thanks Doug. I couldn't find anything in my bag of manuals that even told me who the mag was. Looks like I need a whole new worm screw on top.

dougw

I guess if there is any upside besides getting to "vaca" a bit longer is it broke on the passenger side. It seems to me that side might be easier to work on and even drop out of the rv if needed. I'm not sure if one leg would be strong enough to lift the coach or not but a couple of bottle jacks under the frame should do the trick I would think.

Best of luck.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I changed out the inside gear assembly on our previous trailer. It wasn't hard, but takes a little mechanical acumen. You will have to install a roller pin and that is the hardest part (small item - requires a special tool or a suitable sized substitute. I was able to use a small hex wrench to push it in).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

sbryan

A quick postscript: ordered the repair kit and replaced the gears and bushing. Not too difficult and all is well. Thanks to all for the helpful posts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Gary521

You have only solved part of the problem. You need to take the entire leg off and inspect the jack screw inside the leg. This is the root cause of almost all the problems. The jack screw does not get lubricated as it moves up and down. The jack screw will seize on the large nut that moves the inner leg. Drill a couple hoes in the "outer" leg so that the jack screw can be lubricated from time to time. Raise the trailer by the motor and this will move the inner leg past the drilled holes so that the screw can be greased.

caissiel

A quick postscript: ordered the repair kit and replaced the gears and bushing. Not too difficult and all is well. Thanks to all for the helpful posts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

As applied on the HL trailers the landing gears should be tested using the manual crank.
If hard to turn to the point the crank wants to bend. The pinion is climbing on the gear. Grease is not the only solutions.
The centering plate on the jacks fit to loose and moves sideways and gears don't mesh. It' a problem that I have modified for all my 3 5th wheels.
It's a case of manufacturing ease placed ahead of durability.
I have seen SOB units clamping the legs in line with the centering plate.
My repair has been installing a clamp squeezing the movable plate tight flush with the tube outside wall. It's the plate that can be seen in the 2 slots up on the Jack. Some have used a simple hose clamp.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

sbryan

You have only solved part of the problem. You need to take the entire leg off and inspect the jack screw inside the leg. This is the root cause of almost all the problems. The jack screw does not get lubricated as it moves up and down. The jack screw will seize on the large nut that moves the inner leg. Drill a couple hoes in the "outer" leg so that the jack screw can be lubricated from time to time. Raise the trailer by the motor and this will move the inner leg past the drilled holes so that the screw can be greased.

Agreed it is hard to lube the gears down inside the leg but that wasn't my problem. It was my own stupidity - I failed to level up the two landing gear legs so the left side was carrying all the weight of the trailer - more than it was designed for for sure. Newbie lesson learned - carry shims to make sure both legs carry equal weight.

sbryan

As applied on the HL trailers the landing gears should be tested using the manual crank.
If hard to turn to the point the crank wants to bend. The pinion is climbing on the gear. Grease is not the only solutions.
The centering plate on the jacks fit to loose and moves sideways and gears don't mesh. It' a problem that I have modified for all my 3 5th wheels.
It's a case of manufacturing ease placed ahead of durability.
I have seen SOB units clamping the legs in line with the centering plate.
My repair has been installing a clamp squeezing the movable plate tight flush with the tube outside wall. It's the plate that can be seen in the 2 slots up on the Jack. Some have used a simple hose clamp.

This would be a great way to test the landing gear before a trip or on occasion. You can "feel" any resistance or irregularity in the gears when you crank by hand, something you don't feel when you use the motor.

caissiel

Agreed it is hard to lube the gears down inside the leg but that wasn't my problem. It was my own stupidity - I failed to level up the two landing gear legs so the left side was carrying all the weight of the trailer - more than it was designed for for sure. Newbie lesson learned - carry shims to make sure both legs carry equal weight.

In 20 years I have never had to use shims. Just drop them on 2 x 6 and let the pins klick in.

Not a bad idea though. Just takes a bit longer to install the shim at proper side.

Gary521

A lot of folks have gone to the two motor system on the electric front legs. This does a couple of things. It reduces the load on one motor and it allow you to move each leg independently so that shims or whatever, are not needed.

sbryan

A lot of folks have gone to the two motor system on the electric front legs. This does a couple of things. It reduces the load on one motor and it allow you to move each leg independently so that shims or whatever, are not needed.
Any idea on who makes the second motor and how it installs?