- Cyclone 4100 King Tires

I would like to know if LT245/75/16 E tires will work on my trailer. They have a load rating of only 3042, which sounds ok being that the axels are only 6000 LB anyway. I have ST235/80/16 Towmax (Blowmax) on it now. I had a blowout with 1500 miles on the trailer. I checked the pressure before we got on the road. Not overloaded. No reason for the failure except poor quality tires. I wanted to upgrade to 235/85/16 but the 2nd and 3rd axel seem too close together. It seems to me that when it comes to tires, Heartland did not allow for any options on the Cyclone 4100. This is just another in a long string of disappointments for me with Heartland.
Thanks,
Kent

danemayer

Re: ATF: Cyclone - Cyclone 4100 King Tires

HarleyCowboy,

Compare the Outer Diameter specs on the tires.

Goodyear G614 235/85R16 (3750 lbs max) is spec'd at 30.7".
Towmax Max 24 235/80/R16 (3520 lbs max) is spec'd at 30.8".

Seems like the Goodyear, being a smaller outer diameter tire, should fit just fine.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I personally would not use anything less than "G" rated tire.

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

I would go to the transforce HT in 16 inch, at 3420 lbs. 265/75 R 16, black wall, or a G.

Even if you went with the LT 245/75, a LT is rated for continuous duty at the sidewall load. If you look at the Firestone, or Goodyear or any other name brand in that caliber of tire, you will see what sets them apart. They are tough as .......nails. I doubt you will wear them out anytime soon. And you cant beat the price.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=475R6THT&tab=Specs

$524 for a set., my local firestone dealer matched tire rack price and gave me 6 months no interest and a $50 rebate for opening the firestone account.

I would like to know if LT245/75/16 E tires will work on my trailer. They have a load rating of only 3042, which sounds ok being that the axels are only 6000 LB anyway. I have ST235/80/16 Towmax (Blowmax) on it now. I had a blowout with 1500 miles on the trailer. I checked the pressure before we got on the road. Not overloaded. No reason for the failure except poor quality tires. I wanted to upgrade to 235/85/16 but the 2nd and 3rd axel seem too close together. It seems to me that when it comes to tires, Heartland did not allow for any options on the Cyclone 4100. This is just another in a long string of disappointments for me with Heartland.
Thanks,
Kent

avvidclif

I personally would not use anything less than "G" rated tire.

G Rated tires are way overkill for 6000 lb axles. JMHO Look at the axle rating and try to match it at a minimum. LT's are a good match for 6k axles.

Bob&Patty

A GY G614 is a LT tire. Confused on why a "G" rated tire is over kill. Got the 614's on the Horn with 6K axles and has never hurt a thing. I guess you are saying..if you have 6K axles, then only install a 3K rated tire on each side of the same axle.

eka217

Cowboy, I have the same rig with 2 TowMax blowouts. Put the G614's on no problem. The stock wheels are stamped for 110 lbs.

avvidclif

A GY G614 is a LT tire. Confused on why a "G" rated tire is over kill. Got the 614's on the Horn with 6K axles and has never hurt a thing. I guess you are saying..if you have 6K axles, then only install a 3K rated tire on each side of the same axle.

While the extra capacity on the tires isn't a problem the extra load on the pocketbook could be. No reason to put a Ferrari motor in a Model T.

Bob&Patty

Yes the pocket book is an issue. "Ferrari motor in a model"T". Is that the same as the '29 model A Tudor I had with a 350 Chevy in it...or the '34 5 window I had will 340 ci" Hemroid in it?? BTW, both were a rocket ship on wheels.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I don't think G rated tires on 6k is overkill. A tire that is not running near capacity has to hold up better in the long run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kosanko

Bob,

The G614 is not an LT it is an STR (Special Trailer Radial) and the Big Horn should have 7K axles unless you have downgraded them from the factory

jimtoo

From the Goodyear Site in case anyone is looking for info.

G614 RST
[h=3][/h]

• Features and Benefits
  • Tire Specs
SIZETREAD
DEPTH
RIM
WIDTH
(IN) (MM)
TIRE
WEIGHT
(LBS) (KG)
OVERALL
WIDTH
(IN) (MM)
OVERALL
DIAMETER
(IN) (MM)
STATIC LOADED
RADIUS
(IN) (MM)
RETREAD
BUFFING RADIUS
(IN) (MM)
RETREAD
BASE WIDTH
(IN) (MM)
TUBELESS TIRES ON 15° DROP CENTER RIMS
LT235/85R16 G12
6.50 165
58 26
9.5 241
30.7 780
14.4 366
16 406
0.000 0
SIZESPEED
RATING
(MPH/KPH)
SINGLE MAX
LOAD
(LBS) (KG)
SINGLE
INFLATION
(PSI) (KPA)
DUAL MAX
LOAD
(LBS) (KG)
DUAL
INFLATION
(PSI) (KPA)
REVS
PER
(MILE) (KM)
MINIMUM
DUAL SPACING
(IN) (MM)
PRODUCT
CODE
TUBELESS TIRES ON 15° DROP CENTER RIMS
LT235/85R16 G75/120
3,750 1,700
110 750
3,415 1,550
110 750
671 417
10.8 274

Jim.Allison

One of the benefits of the G614 at 110 psi is that it does not try to roll off the rim when turning in tight spots. and as far as the 0 relationship to the axle rating and tire rating, the G614 does not have to be inflated to 110 psi for 3750 it can be inflated to 100 lbs for a lower rating.

jimtoo

Bob,, I think everyone assumes that because the tire size is started with LT. LT235/85/R16 and it is misleading.

Jim M

danemayer

The Goodyear RST G614 is positioned in the GY marketing material as a REGIONAL SHORTHAUL TRAILER tire. It is designed for trailer application and is marketed to be used on trailers, including towable RVs. It could have been an ST tire but Goodyear has elected to test and certify to the more stringent LT standard. So when you look at the G614 specs, it shows as LT.

RST is a marketing reference. LT is a test/certification reference.

Don't know how far over the rim's air pressure rating is safe but when the tires get heated up they will gain 15 -20% pressure, I never realized this until I installed the tpms on my rig I set the tires at 80psi cold when they heated up I had as much as 96psi.