- Cyclone 4100 King Tires

oscar

Re: ATF: Cyclone - Cyclone 4100 King Tires

Just did a LOT of research on this, including reading and participating in a number of threads in the tire section of this forum.

With very few contrarian folks making blanket statements the vast majority agrees. There are two kind of large Heartland fiver owners. Those that are, and those that will become a member of the Blowmax club. It's a 10 ply E rated tire that at 80 PSI claims to be good to 3520 pounds, at 65 mph. Compare that to the Goodyear G614 which is a G (14ply) tire, rated to 3750 pounds at 110 PSI, 75 mph. Which one do you think is the more honest tire?

Some of us have weighed every wheel on the fiver. It comes as no surprise that the right rear corner on my Cyclone, with the kitchen slide, double door fridge full of beans and beer, the stove and pantry are quite a bit heavier than the couch on the other side. In fact, the right rear corner comes in close to the axle rating, and even closer to the IMHO overrated Blowmax. The result? Boom.

Why would you buy $120 Johnston and Murphy shoes when you can get the same size at Wallymart for $29.95? Comfort, longevity, in other worlds quality.

Considering the amount of damage a blowout usually does to the rig, a tire that is not overrated, well built and has ratings well in excess of what you need is a no brainer.

Then again, some people try to pull these things with a half ton truck.

tokiomo

The more I read, the more questions I have! I was thinking of replacing the tires on the Cyclone 4100 with the Michelin XPS Ribs w/load max rating of 3042 pounds. Currently I have ST235/80R16 w/load max rating of 3520 pounds. Would his be a problem? The trailer has 3 axles rated 6k. Plus now I'm not sure if the bigger diameter of the XPS will work. Any experience with these matters will help.

tokiomo

Does anyone have Goodyear G614 235/85/R16 on a Cyclone 4100? The rim width is 6.0, not the Goodyear recommended 6.5. We took the advise and mounted the Michelin Ribs, and the rear tire & center tire are almost touching...too close for comfort.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sounds like you may have E rated and not G rated rims. Look on the rear of the rims and see what the rating is for them.