Cyclone 4200 floorplan

jeffdee

The wife and I stopped by Camping World to look at a 4200 yesterday. We love our 3110 but the 4200 has a great floorplan with the full bath attached to the garage. Hmmmm...maybe in a few years now that I have upgraded my towing vehicle from an F250 SRW to a F350 DRW.

OEFVET

I just upgraded to the Cyclone 4200. We too saw the floor plan and loved it. We will be picking it up by mid-January. It has the arctic package so we plan on sledding with it first time out.

jeffdee

Congrats to you on your purchase of one beautiful toyhauler!

I love my 3110 we have now but with this new truck we may upgrade larger cyclone in a few years. I will definitely be following your posts. Please do continue to communicate with the members of this forum about your experiences with your new rv. This forum is why I chose the Cyclone. The forum members do post very constructive suggestions and recommendations. I have taken many of these ideas and have incorporated them into my rv. Quite often the benefits were immediate.

I see that you have 31 post so you must be aware of the tire issues...

Jim-Lynn

Jeff; We got our 4200 in Oct. & now are hearing about the tires. It really ticks me off that we now have to spend another $ 2,500.00 - $ 3,000.00 on tires because the Towmax are useless. I have checked with local dealer on the Towmax, and the response was the same from the all - They, (Towmax) make a very good, middle of the line, tire for utility trailers and light weight RV'S. They experience I they will not stand up on weights much over 12,000 lbs. I guess I will have to get the Goodyear G614 tires before something happens. How d you like your new 2015 350? I have a 2011 & looking at the 2015 now.

danemayer

Jeff; We got our 4200 in Oct. & now are hearing about the tires. It really ticks me off that we now have to spend another $ 2,500.00 - $ 3,000.00 on tires

You might want to check out Sailun S637 tires. They're also Load Range G, have a good rep online, and are considerably less expensive than Goodyear G614s.

Although more expensive, there is something else to consider about Goodyear G614. If they fail and cause damage to the RV, Goodyear has a practice of reimbursing repair cost. I can't say that practice will always continue, because it goes further than the official warranty. But after my G614 threw a tread a few months ago, Goodyear promptly paid for a new tire, mobile service, and body shop repairs. Other Heartland owners have had similar experiences.

jeffdee

I just posted this response over in the Tow Vehicle threads: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/50023-Show-off-your-towing-rig!/page2

I am pleased that this is the first time that I have purchased a new vehicle where I was able to get where I wanted to be on the pricing. It was an end of the year inventory clearance sale on all their Ford Super Dutys on the lot ($11,000 off MSRP), and I got what I wanted for my 2010 F250 Lariat SRW trade-in (which wasn't very easy). This took place last Wednesday, 12/31/14, the last day of the year and the last day of the sale. Another stroke of luck was that this truck was delivered to this dealership from the Kentucky truck plant just 24 hours before I purchased it.

15 minutes after I drove away from the dealership I began to realize that this truck was going to meet and exceed all of my expectations!

Going back to the tires, I posted my opinions in this thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/49982-ATF-Cyclone-Question-for-Heartland I hope Heartland answers my question why I had to purchase a new set of tires so soon.

OEFVET

Yes we are following the tire issue as well. One thing that is not clear to me is that with three axles each axle should only be carrying approximately 7000lbs. If the towmax tires are good for middle weights approximately 10,000lbs then they should work with the tri-axle. I'm not understanding why it is not working unless all axles are not carrying their weight. For now I will monitor closely with a TMPS and go from there but the BLUF is the tires should not be installed if they are not rated for our trailers. Thanks all for the posts.

jeffdee

I had the same opinion about these tires until the one tire failed a couple of weeks ago. The independant tire dealer inspected it for Towmax to verify my claim on the one failed tire. After he spoke to Towmax he took me to the side and explained that he had been seeing a lot of these tire failures. It was his opinion that the tires were over rated for their advertised load capacity. He also said that they were 10 ply 'rated' but were not really 10 ply construction. I think Heartland should investigate this. It is a bad reflection on their product. Heartland customers should not have to deal with these tire issues on their new rigs. If I am compensated for the one tire, I will not for the other three, but will have peace of mind while towing. I will remain vigilant monitoring tire pressures and torqueing the lug nuts.

OEFVET

Thank you for the information. I have looked into this and I believe that Heartland is now using Goodyear tires. I'm not sure if its all models but I do believe it is all the tri-axle models. You may want to look into this. Good luck!

danemayer

He also said that they were 10 ply 'rated' but were not really 10 ply construction.
My understanding is that modern tires use a Load Range like 'E' or 'G' which allows them to claim a ply equivalence. I don't think tires are constructed with multiple plies the way old bias tires used to be made. So Load Range E is claimed to be equivalent to having 10 plies, but may not be how they're actually constructed.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ply ratings can get a bit confusing.
I have seen Goodyear G614 tires advertised as 14 ply. Listed as 14 ply and 14 ply rating.
They are actually 1 ply sidewall and 4 ply tread.
Go figure.

Peace
Dave

jeffdee

Okay then with the discussion of ply ratings aside, the specs for the Towmax tire is 3520# @ 80 psi. Based upon the axle and hitch loaded weight of 16,000# of a Cyclone 3110, these tires should not be seeing more than 3500# each per axle. A tire manufacturer should rate their tires at the most 90% of ultimate load to provide a minimum 10% safety factor. If the rig is not overloaded these tires should be performing in a range of 3100 to 3400 pounds of load on each tire. This should provide an additional buffer to the load rating so in my opinion the Towmax tire just doesn't perform as rated.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The way I understand it tire manufacturers don't use the ply rating anymore. I forget the reason.