Cyclone CY3418 Weights

avvidclif

Since Heartland doesn't have published dry weight or pin weight of the CY3418 I went by the GVWR of 15,500 when making a decision on what to buy.

The shipping weight on the door was 12,826 plus 60 lbs propane and battery added at dealer. We don't pack a lot of stuff, just the normal cooking utensils, clothes, etc. I figured we added 1200 lbs. That was about right.

We stopped on the way out yesterday and weighed.

The trailer weighed ~14,500 (I don't have the ticket where I weighed the truck by itself ~8500). Of that 11,080 was on the axles (2) which put ~3,420 on the pin. OUCH. My figuring when looking was a max pin weight of 3,100 lbs (20% of GVWR) which I wasn't worried about as we knew we wouldn't be at max but 3,400 when not fully loaded put me over on RAWR.

This was with a full tank of trailer gas (behind the axles) and all other tanks empty (the rest are in front of the axle and add to pin weight. No toys were loaded, back was basically empty. The only good thing is when I carry my Harley it will subtract from the pin weight (behind axles).

Here are the scale weights:

Front Axle: 4780
Rear Axle: 7140
Trailer Axles: 11080
Total: 23000

avvidclif

That pin weight seems a bit high to me. Guessing u have a 7k rear axle?

Close but not quite. I also noticed the trailer was slightly nose down so I am going to raise the hitch to level the trailer (the truck is level). That should help. I am also going to see about moving the hitch forward, probably by changing hitches. I have noticed that with each of my 5th wheels the front axle got lighter as the trailer got heavier which tells me the hitch is back of the axle.

Main problem is the CY3418 has a large garage and all the weight (fridge, water, kitchen, bedroom, generator, etc) is in front of the axles. From the axles back is all garage which I like and the reason I bought it. I just didn't plan on the high pin weight. In actuality the axles need to be forward. Maybe that's why they don't publish empty weight and pin weight on the specs??? Just GVWR. If I had know the pin was going to be so heavy I probably would have looked at something else. I was trying to match my trucks capabilities.

oscar

The ONLY and I repeat ONLY reliable source of the empty weight of the trailer is the yellow sticker on the left front. The actual unit is weighed (once) when it rolls off the floor and that is the number on the sticker. And yes, air conditioners, awnings, electric beds, oversized fridges, flat screen TV's satellite antennas and any other hoohaa is in addition to the advertised empty weight, IOW it comes out of your CCC. Not even talking about propane, water and "stuff" in the holding tanks.

Standard for fivers is 12% or so tongue weight. But, as you can understand, and correctly pointed out, the toy hauler has to be set up to take a load of toys (although rarely legal GVWR wise) in the garage, so the empty tongue weight is as much as 15%......

Had some issues after installing an airbag pin box, and did the whole weighing thing with a light load in the garage, and full load of bread, beans and beer, with and without the truck, on my 4100. 3900 on the box.....22%.....