Cyclone - Cyclone 4200 tire pressure

Whiterice

Don't want to sound stupid...but..About to embark on a spring trip and want to make sure my tires are properly inflated...tires are towmax ST235/80r16. The tires say 80 psi max...my question is do I want to fill them to 80 or less than 80? What the the proper inflation?
I have read many negative post on the Towmax tires, however I have not had any issues so far and want to keep it that way, but want to make sure that I am doing the right thing for my family's safety. Not hauling anything other than normal camping gear.
Living in Houston and traveling to West Texas 10 hr trip and only driving half way each day to be safe. Any advise would be appreciated.

jimtoo

Re: ATF: Cyclone - Cyclone 4200 tire pressure

Hi Whiterice,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Always inflate to max air pressure,,, 80#, and do not pull over the 65mph speed as listed for trailer tires. Some have had good luck with the Towmax,, some not so good. Just watch and check your tires every time you stop for tread separation or bubbles.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Moved thread to better area.

whp4262

Don't want to sound stupid...but..About to embark on a spring trip and want to make sure my tires are properly inflated...tires are towmax ST235/80r16. The tires say 80 psi max...my question is do I want to fill them to 80 or less than 80? What the the proper inflation?
I have read many negative post on the Towmax tires, however I have not had any issues so far and want to keep it that way, but want to make sure that I am doing the right thing for my family's safety. Not hauling anything other than normal camping gear.
Living in Houston and traveling to West Texas 10 hr trip and only driving half way each day to be safe. Any advise would be appreciated.

Inflate to 80 psi cold. When they heat up they will go over 90 psi but that is normal. I would also recommend a tire monitoring system of your choice. I have the TST 507 system and it has worked well with excellent customer service. On a recent trip to San Diego I went through a wreck site, picked up a nail and was alerted to the low trailer tire before it did any damage or ruined the tire beyond repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiterice

Inflate to 80 psi cold. When they heat up they will go over 90 psi but that is normal. I would also recommend a tire monitoring system of your choice. I have the TST 507 system and it has worked well with excellent customer service. On a recent trip to San Diego I went through a wreck site, picked up a nail and was alerted to the low trailer tire before it did any damage or ruined the tire beyond repair.

Thank you for responding...I will also look into the monitoring system!

MagnoliaTom

I actually inflate my tow max tires to 90 psi. I've read here that adding the extra 10 psi will "permit" towing over 65 mph. Being familiar with Houston traffic and i10, going less than 65 is sometimes a challenge. I do monitor with TST 507

whp4262

I may be wrong on that and if so, someone please tell me

I can see where the extra 10 psi might help reduce sidewall flex thus heat buildup but beyond that I have no idea if it's right or wrong.

danemayer

I actually inflate my tow max tires to 90 psi. I've read here that adding the extra 10 psi will "permit" towing over 65 mph. Being familiar with Houston traffic and i10, going less than 65 is sometimes a challenge. I do monitor with TST 507

Over-inflating might reduce flex and offset the heat buildup from higher speed, but who knows whether the higher pressure might cause some other type of failure.

Also, check your wheels. Some are rated for 80 psi; others for 110 psi. It's very dangerous to run higher pressure than the wheel rating.

ILH

Having seen what an exploding tire can do to the side of a trailer first hand, I do not recommend exceeding the manufacturer's maximum inflation pressure set at cold temperature. Remember, your tire will naturally increase in pressure as the rolling temp increases.

MagnoliaTom

Over-inflating might reduce flex and offset the heat buildup from higher speed, but who knows whether the higher pressure might cause some other type of failure.

Also, check your wheels. Some are rated for 80 psi; others for 110 psi. It's very dangerous to run higher pressure than the wheel rating.

My wheels are rated for 110 psi. So far, I haven't seen pressure above 103 psi after several hours of towing

danemayer