Data collecting....first time potential buyer

BobbyDale

We are considering the bh3570rs ..........1...Whisper Quiet vs Heat pump....
We live in the panhandle of fl and temps in the summer get very hot.
Which a/c unit would cool the rv down to approx 75 when its 100 degrees outside
2... Is the yeti extreme package needed to accomplish the above?
Thanks Bobby

danemayer

Hi BobbyDale,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You probably have high humidity along with high temps and will need all the air conditioning you can get. Certainly you'll want two units. The Yeti package includes some radiant heat barrier in front and rear caps that should help with heat, but it's mostly designed for cold weather (tank heaters, water line heat tape). You might get a little help from dual pane windows.

You might consider window awnings (dealer install) and a screen for the rear window. Anything that reduces the direct sun on the windows will reduce the interior heat load tremendously.

The heat pump option might save some propane in the winter - not sure if this option changes anything on the cooling side.

FYI, the Landmark 365 is offering 3 air conditioners - something to think about.

Take a look at our owner-written Heating and Cooling Guide, which has tips for dealing with very hot weather.

BobbyDale

Hi BobbyDale,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You probably have high humidity along with high temps and will need all the air conditioning you can get. Certainly you'll want two units. The Yeti package includes some radiant heat barrier in front and rear caps that should help with heat, but it's mostly designed for cold weather (tank heaters, water line heat tape). You might get a little help from dual pane windows.

You might consider window awnings (dealer install) and a screen for the rear window. Anything that reduces the direct sun on the windows will reduce the interior heat load tremendously.

The heat pump option might save some propane in the winter - not sure if this option changes anything on the cooling side.

FYI, the Landmark 365 is offering 3 air conditioners - something to think about.

Take a look at our owner-written Heating and Cooling Guide, which has tips for dealing with very hot weather.
Thanks!

GOTTOYS

I don't own a heat pump but it seems they are used mostly in RVs for heating, not cooling. 100 degrees down to 75 will require 2 air conditioners for sure and that still might not be enough if you are parked in the hot sun..All of the recommendations from danemayer in the previous post are good advice...Don

Bohemian

We are considering the bh3570rs ..........1...Whisper Quiet vs Heat pump....
We live in the panhandle of fl and temps in the summer get very hot.
Which a/c unit would cool the rv down to approx 75 when its 100 degrees outside
2... Is the yeti extreme package needed to accomplish the above?
Thanks Bobby

A heat pump is an air conditioner. The only difference is that it has a valve that can let the system run in reverse. In heat pump mode it pumps heat from the outside to the inside. In AC mode it pumps heat from the inside the outside.

Crumgater

I'd also recommend slide toppers - they'll keep the direct sunlight off the top of the slides, which should also help reduce heating load.

BobbyDale

I might be better off researching the landmarks, it's sounds as though I probably be fighting the heat and high humidity with the big horn with two a/c's. Thanks for all the replies! Bobby

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have the whisper quiet dual 15k ac's, with heat pumps in our 2013 Landmark. No problem keeping it cool to around 75 when it's 100 outside...been through two extremely hot summers so far...worked great.

The Yeti package only adds tank heaters and heated main water lines....

readytohitheroad

you will likely not be able to cool your unit down to 75 when it is 100 degrees outside. the units are not constructed with enough insulation to allow for this. this comment is based on previous posts on this site. in the area you descibe you will need to run all your hvac units 24/7 during the summer months. be sure you budget for the cost of electricity.

GOTTOYS

I might be better off researching the landmarks, it's sounds as though I probably be fighting the heat and high humidity with the big horn with two a/c's. Thanks for all the replies! Bobby
Not much difference insulation wise between the two. It's just the nature of the beast. You probably won't find any RV that's much better....Don

caissiel

A white outside wall unit will go a long way to combat the heat absorbed by the walls. All buses in Florida have white roofs for that reason.

Bobby A

We stay in the Tampa area about 9 months out of the year. Our Bighorn with dual pane windows and only 1 a/c unit does pretty well. Everyone has different comfort levels. I can tell you on those stifling hot days our unit runs just about 24/7 and only starts to cycle at night and maintains a inside temp at 79 or 80 degrees. That is very comfortable when the temps are in the 90's with very high humidity, most times if I'm sitting in side watching tv I have a throw blanket on me. I've been told that these a/c unit are only designed to lower the inside temps to 15 degrees less than the outside temps. Not sure how accurate that is but in my experience living in Fl. the last 5 years it pretty close. In the summer the sun screens do help a lot also as Dan mentioned. Hope this helps.