Date set for the 2007 International Heartland Owners Rally

jbeletti

Hello 626 forum lurkers and 230 active members,

As a collective at the 2006 Rally, it was agreed that we would hold future International Rallies in the Elkhart County, Indiana area. Other Heartland Owners rallies/gatherings may be local or regional, anywhere in the country and held at any time an organizer wishes to hold one.

The 2007 International Heartland Owners Rally will be held once again in Goshen, Indiana USA, at the Elkhart County 4H Fairgrounds from May 31 through June 3, 2007.

A 2007 Rally Planning Team was formed at this year's rally. This team has created several committees and they will work out the details of the 2007 rally.

Expect a draft agenda and some details along with registration data to come out by fall.

If you have any input on what you would like to see in a rally, please begin posting your comments here. We'd especially like to hear from those of you who attended the 2006 rally. Specfically, what did you like, what do you not care to do next time, what was okay but could be improved upon?

The team is listening.

And please "SAVE THE DATE".

Jim Beletti

arisce

Hello Rally Visitors,
As chair of the Food Committee for the 2007 Rally being held in Goshen, Indiana, I would like to welcome you and encourage you to attend this wonderful event. We all had a great time this year and the majority of us are already planning to return for the 2nd Annual Heartland Rally.

We were fortunate in that Jim did most of the planning this year but now there are several committees set up and Food is one of them. This year, there was a Potluck supper on the Thursday night, a visit to an Amish family farm for supper on Friday night, a lunch at an Amish restaurant on Sat and a BBQ put on by the Heartland company for the owners Saturday night.Sunday morning ,there was an organized breakfast for all with volunteers making and setting out the food. On Friday, there were sandwiches for the workers and owners, again prepared by volunteers. If you are thinking of joining us at Rally2007, please think about volunteering for 1 activity and contributing 1 potluck contribution.
If you know the area and have a suggestion about a restaurant or actvity/show that might interest our group, pls let me know so I can start to pursue it. Thanks.
Karen (arisce) Big Horn RL3600, site #411

arisce

Hi Jim,
One of the things I thought of and mentioned to Scott, was the fact that many(?) several(?) of the women do not feel comfortable driving these big rigs. So I suggested a "Driving School" for women where they could get behind the wheel, learn to turn corners and even hook and unhook. Perhaps this could be added to the agenda, maybe even an option you would have to sign up for and perhaps have it on an earlier day or later day so as to not interfere with activities planned for the whole group. If Scott could provide the truck and trailer and large open space, I'm sure we could find a man or two with LOTS of patience to help the ladies learn these new and important skills.Feedback?
Karen, site #411

Paul & Nan

Karen-I think that is such a great idea!!!!!!!! I personally can do it all, but have found that most gals cannot/will not do it. We all should know how, for just in case, if nothing else. I will support your idea in any way, whole heartedly. Nancy

Cheryl

I'm sure we could find a man or two with LOTS of patience
Does such a creature actually exist?:D
Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.

My parents have a motorhome and my step-mom does a lot of the driving. I'm sure there are a lot of gals out there that would like to learn (I'm NOT one of them, hate to drive anything). Although, I can hook-up and unhook, Nelson and I have a "system" - he does all the driving, I do all the packing, unpacking, and laundry.
Whatever you decide, I hope you all have a GREAT time. Unfortunately, it is right at the end of the school year for me so we won't be able to make it.

arisce

When we were at the Good Sam Rally in Daytona this year, the seminar leader strongly suggested that the wives/companions know how to drive the unit being used. I drove on the highways to and from Indiana and am comfortable pulling that 38' rig. Now it's to learn to go around corners and enter/exit gas stations. Then hook/unhooking. That's what I plan to do this summer. It's just daunting when you start but practice does help.
We will have to see if Heartland can help us set up a day for this type of "workshop".
Karen, site #411
Big Horn RL 3600

sharmulst

Karen
I agree with the others, I think this workshop would be an excellent idea. I pulled our TT, but never learned how to backup or hook and unhook. Also feel a little intimidated with the turning of the 5th wheel.
Also I would volunteer to be on the food committee for next years rally.
Sharon, space 422
Bighorn 3500 RL

Hi gang,
I guess I'm one of those women who never drove the truck with trailer. At the rally, I spoke with Karen (Montreal - site 411) and she said that she could drive their rig. My husband overhearing the conversation, agreed that I needed to learn how to at least drive the rig. So.......I decided to take the dive and drove from the I-80/I-69 interchange to just west of Jackson, MI. It wasn't as bad as I thought and feel much better knowing that I can do it if I have to. Now, of course, my husband feels that I need to learn more, turning, backing-up, hooking and unhooking. So, I guess that means I'm in if we can get some type of "drivers training" for us females at the next rally.
Janet Robbins
robbinsfmly

Paul & Nan

As one who has been hauling trailers for a long time, I agree. I am not great at backing, but can do it in a pinch. Have taken our rigs by myself more than once. I gave this same speech to some at the rally as well. I do part of the driving on our trips. AS for turns at fuel stops and such you just have to do the same as when on the highway, just remember to go slow and easy and watch the mirrors, and remember that you need to swing wide on turns. Also, remind the copilot to be quiet and not over critisize, cause that just makes a person nervous.

I think something for the gals is a great idea, husbands/partners are really not patient enough to help learn.

Nancy

arisce

I think most of the guys who drive large units must have lots of patience to do it. I know Bill is very good at it-much better than I at handling the "big" problems and much calmer. I have had a few "meltdowns" on the road when we have been in situations, but if he is there to advise me I will be OK. I did volunteer him to teach the women as he is a reyired HS teacher but we will have to see if this idea come into fruition.
Karen, (arisce) #411
PS Thank you Sharon for joining the food committee

kaxel

Coach pulling and hook-up school

I had to laugh as I read these messages! I do think a driving school for "anyone" that would like to learn is a great idea! My husband Bill, who is now a general manager for a major van line, drove a truck many years ago straight out of the Marine Corp so he does 99.9% of all of our driving - but I would love to learn how to hook up and such. Many of our friends are teasing us that it must take "a 40 acre field" to turn our new Cyclone around and I would love to prove to them that even I can do it! I know Bill would be happy to help with any training. The man loves stuff with wheels!:D

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
Purchase a new Landmark

Hi Jim,

We are making our plans to attend the 2007 rally next year. We retire in May and we are going full-time. Is the rally a good time to visit the factory and is it possible to purchase a new Landmark during the rally?
Factory direct possible or a local dealer?

Thanks,
Seamo:)
Eureka Ca

jbeletti

Hi Seamo and thanks for your interest in the 2007 International Rally.

We have a great plnning team in place but we are not close to finalizing an agenda. That said, I can say with confidence that we will have a factory tour.

At the 2006 rally, Great Lakes RV, the local Heartland dealer was represented. He had 4 demo units on-site and a sales manager. So I'd say yes, you could buy a unit at the rally, so long as the local dealer had the exact unit you want, configured with the options that are important to you.

Keep in touch and hope to see you in Goshen next June.

Jim

K

Ken Washington

Hi Jim,
We are thinking about coming to the rally and was wondering if the fairground has full hookups? Also, while we are that far away from home, are there any other places to visit and camp to fill up a 10 day to 2 week trip? Thanks for all you do and to everyone else on this fourm!
Ken

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Elkhart FairGrounds has full hook-ups and a very nice place. www.4hfair.org has lots of info and some links, with other places you can google. There is a lot of small towns that surround Goshen with lots of tourist stuff. The Rv Museum is close and Camping world is always neat.:) They have a huge flea market close and I mean huge. There is a lot of Amish products and stores.

K

Ken Washington

Thanks Ken & Kathy for the info. Just trying to see what else there is in that area to do while we are there.
Ken

jpmorgan37

Ken;
If you go to the Fairgrounds, have 30 feet of sewer hose. Some of us had to make a trip to buy extra. I had an extra 30 feet at home but only 20 feet with me. I got the last 10 foot section that Walmart had in the store. Bet I don't make that mistake again ('course after next week, I probably won't have a home, if the auction works out).
John

K

Ken Washington

Thanks John,
I am ready-I already have extra hose. I like to be prepaired for anything! I read all the post and looked at all the pictures of the 2006 rally and liked what I saw. Thanks for the heads-ups though!
Ken

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Do we need reservations

My wife and I are planning to attend and were wondering if we need to make reservation or the fact we say were coming is all that needs to happen...

I should have read all of the 2006 Ralley info then I'd know better, sorry /Doug