De-winterizing

Sam-Tafi

Hi All:

We have a 2016 390 MBL. Since it was a brand new unit, and I'd never really done winterizing, I invested the $125 and had the dealership do my winterizing of the camper and the water lines, etc.

I think that I will tackle it next year, but am faced with the ordeal of de-winterizing.

Does anyone have any good suggestions, experience, tips, videos, etc. on getting the antifreeze out and assuring no damage to the hot water tank, etc.?

Any other beginning of the camping season suggestions? We have only two camping seasons under our belts, so still firmly in the "Newbie" category and still learning.

I've found some You-Tubes, but they are pretty generic and I don't want to miss something.

We are two weeks away from our first outing. We pulled the cover off last week and are in the process of stocking and prepping, so I want to get this done sooner rather than later.

Any ideas and thoughts appreciated.

Have a good season!

Sam (and Tafi)

danemayer

Hi Sam-Tafi,

We have an owner-written Winterization Guide in this folder. That'll help you next year. If you have a Residential Refrigerator (120V AC only), you'll also want to review the Residential Refrigerator Guide.

To de-winterize, you'll primarily need to connect to city water and open each faucet, shower, toilet until it all runs clear. Keep an eye on how much water you run because it's all going into your holding tanks.

Before starting, check that the low point drains are closed. Also check the fresh tank drain.

If you have washer/dryer prep, you'll need to connect a hose and purge the antifreeze from those lines tool. If you have the washing machine, just run a few cycles on Permanent Press. Again, keep an eye on the holding tanks.

Don't forget the outside shower and outside kitchen if you have one.

After you've purged the antifreeze, reverse the Water Heater bypass. The user guide has information on the bypass valve(s).

The dealer shouldn't have put any antifreeze into the fresh tank.

If you have an ice maker / water dispenser in your refrigerator, hopefully the dealer didn't put antifreeze through that line. If pink stuff comes out, you'll have to run a bunch of water through the dispenser and run several ice maker cycles.

Sam-Tafi

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Tell me a little more about the refrigerator? We have a fridge that runs on electricity when plugged in, and battery when traveling. We had one previously that was propane / electric, and this one is not. We do not have an ice maker, no water is hooked up to it that I know of. Is your note on the fridge just for when water is hooked up to it for drinking or ice?

S

danemayer

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Tell me a little more about the refrigerator? We have a fridge that runs on electricity when plugged in, and battery when traveling. We had one previously that was propane / electric, and this one is not. We do not have an ice maker, no water is hooked up to it that I know of. Is your note on the fridge just for when water is hooked up to it for drinking or ice?

S

Sounds like you have a Residential Refrigerator, like a Frigidaire or Samsung. The typical RV Gas Absorption units are made by Dometic and Norcold and run on either 120V AC, or 12V DC with propane.

If you don't have an ice maker or water dispenser, there's nothing to winterize.