dead batteries

dshz

i have a brand new cyclone, purchased in Nov.'13. In January I put the rig in storage, disconnecting battery with factory switch and returned 1 week later to check on and start generator. No power. Batteries dead. Removed batteries and replaced with brand new batteries covered under warranty. Returned 1 week later, again after disconnecting battery power through the disconnect switch. 2 dead batteries, neither registering a charge. Faulty wiring? Something is going on between the kill switch and batteries? Am i doing something wrong? I will talk to service this week but just looking for some answers or suggestions.

danemayer

Hi dshz,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You might want to check the breakaway switch. I think its wiring may bypass the cutoff switch. If it's out and the brakes are activated, you'll drain the batteries really quickly.

jimtoo

Hi dshz,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You say factory switch, I did not know the units came with a battery disconnect switch. Is this switch located near the battery and does the battery only have one cable coming from the terminal to the switch? If it is a true battery disconnect switch you will have only 1 cable going from battery to switch and nothing else connected to the battery. If something else is connected you must have a parasitic load of some kind.

Check your battery and let us know and maybe even post a picture of your switch and battery terminal.

Jim M

Plus what Dan said...if you do have a wire other than main cable...

dshz

The breakaway switch!! Gotcha. Yes, i pulled it, i am storing in a public storage facility...So, i pulled it out and if that by passes the manual cut off i am sure that would be the source of the drain. They will love me at the service dept. tommorrow..4 batteries down. Wonder what they will say..Wow, thanks for the info!!!

ILH

Hi dshz,

I concur with the other posts - when I throw my cut off switch, my battery has absolutely no draw. It should be something easy for your dealer to chase down.

Lynn1130

Late but yes, the breakaway switch will engage the brakes and draw the battery down in short order, even though your battery disconnect has the battery disengaged.

noobee

The breakaway switch!! Gotcha. Yes, i pulled it, i am storing in a public storage facility...So, i pulled it out and if that by passes the manual cut off i am sure that would be the source of the drain. They will love me at the service dept. tommorrow..4 batteries down. Wonder what they will say..Wow, thanks for the info!!!

Also have them check the brakes. Pulling the breakaway would have engaged the brakes for the full time that the batteries had power. This could have caused brake problems.

wdk450

If you want to investigate/temporarily prevent the dead batteries from happening, disconnect your load negative battery terminal cable(s). With your disconnect turned off, and some charge in the batteries, you should see NO SPARKING when disconnecting the negative cables. If you see sparking, then there is something (load) drawing current. The negative cables are connected to chassis ground, so there is no danger in doing this.