Deal on a new 2015 Key Largo

adam

Good Evening;

Its been a awhile since I have been on the forum - my wife and I previously owned a tri-axle Cyclone. We have been doing the motorhome thing for a few years but made the choice last week to trade our 2008 42' Holiday Rambler in on a new 2015 Key Largo in full paint.
We loved the convienence of travelling in the coach but being as retentive as we were with maintaining its condition to the highest standard there was just a bottomless pit for cash somewhere in the center of it.....LOL!! Our previous experience with the Heartland products lead us back to the brand for our next fifth wheel, after looking at Montana's, Redwoods, Pinnacles and the Trilogy lines.

We will be towing the new Landmark with a 2012 Dodge Dually with the HO Cummins. Obviously we love the Cummins powertrain but have always ran it with the Allison transmission. We are going to have to get our 2 daughters back in "pick-up" travelling mode but it should be doable. The Key Largo is well equipped, it appears to have most options except the actual generator.

I would love to hear from any of the members who have incorporated solar installs into their units with the residential fridge option and or others who are using larger Honda generators for power. Also wondering if anyone has modified the kitchen table area? Slide out tray?

Thanks for now. I will post some pics once we take delivery.

Adam and Susan Hunter and Family.
Paris. Ontario.

jbeletti

Hi Adam and Susan,

We are pleased to have you back in the Heartland family. You stacked us up against some decent brands - thanks for choosing the Landmark.

Your questions about generators and solar panels can be better addressed if we can learn more about your planned travel and camping style. Especially as it relates to frequency and duration of being off-the-grid.

With regard to the residential refer, for a single travel day, no solar would be needed. However, if you plan to then Wally-dock after a day of travel and then travel another day without having recharged the batteries, then I would recommend 120 watts of solar on the roof. That way, generally, you'll arrive at Walmart or some other boon docking location with fully charged batteries, ready for a bit of use that night and a day of travel the next day.

Again, welcome back!

adam

Thank you Jim,

Your kind words are much appreciated.

Our return to the Heartland product was quite easy as we have always spoke highly of the brand after having the toy hauler - even during our motorhome ownership. No product is perfect, they all need work and constant maintenance but I really believe the foundation is the most important thing. While my wife and I did consider waiting for the new 365 floorplans we felt that remaining 2015 dealer stock was priced well enough to buy now here in Canada.

We travel with our 2 young girls, often using powered sites with full amenities at private parks here in Ontario, we would like to try to get back to some of our less equipped (like 30 amp) provincial parks for short weekend stays that we just could not use with the motorhome. We travel to Florida 3 or 4 times a year from Ontario and generally stop at campgrounds close to our travel route but would also like the option of rest stops without power travelling north or south.

I think I will plan on a solar array of some description that I will install later, I would also like to hard wire a 30 AMP plug for occasional portable generator use. And I am going to go with larger Trojan 12V batteries to power the fridge while travelling with the expectation that I can feed them solar later on.

Thanks Again.

Adam

jbeletti

Sounds like great plans Adam. If you have room in the truck bed, maybe you can store a 3000 watt inverter style Honda or Yamaha gen.

I've seen 5th wheel owners put a 30 or 50 amp receptacle near the pinbox and plug into a bed mounted gen with a remote start for travel days/nights. So much is possible and not one solution works for all.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Adam, a few years back, I installed a 30amp plug on the front of the Horn. I ran wire from the plug to the circuit breaker panel. Installed a double throw 30amp breaker. I made a wire harness that is long enough to reach the trailer from the front of the bed. The genset stays in the truck, I hook the harness to the trailer, start the generator, and we are good to go. You want a good 3000+ watt genset with sinewave. Maybe 2 2000watt honda's.