Dealer installing auto-dish for TV. What should...

Sarge

Dealer is installing auto-dish capable of two different shows at once in a 362RW.

What Direct TV receiver should we be installing?

(Can't use home setup due to house/dog sitters on occasion and trips without the wife along.)

Also in your experience - Do you use the bedroom or garage (toy hauler) TV more?

And is it easy to switch from the wifes bedroom TV to the cigar/garage TV as the secondary later?

Thanx, Sarge

jbeletti

Sarge - I believe all of DirecTV's current receivers are SWM (single wire multiplex). I think you can use any of their receivers you want. I do know that you CANNOT have two of their Genie DVRs on the same account. You can have a Genie DVR and a regular DVR on the same account.

As for moving the satellite signal from one TV to another, you could consider getting a Genie DVR for the RV and 1 mini-client then move the client to whichever TV you want - as needed.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You could also use the IOGEAR wireless HDMI boxes to send the signal from one of your boxes to the garage TV that would save you a lot of hassle.
One box in the bedroom and one in the living room then IOGEAR the signal to the garage.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Sarge - I believe all of DirecTV's current receivers are SWM (single wire multiplex). I think you can use any of their receivers you want. I do know that you CANNOT have two of their Genie DVRs on the same account. You can have a Genie DVR and a regular DVR on the same account.

As for moving the satellite signal from one TV to another, you could consider getting a Genie DVR for the RV and 1 mini-client then move the client to whichever TV you want - as needed.

I tried it and use it in the house. The mini-client needs to be set up each time it is moved. So that scratched using it in one room, moving it in another, and then to the RV. So we needed three for the house. We use standard receivers in the RV. It isn't like the standard receivers. It is easier to have a power source and splitter with the standard receivers in the RV. Also the mini-clients can be touchy. The one in our master bedroom has had the RF cable connectors replaced twice, the unit replace once, and the HDMI cable replaced once. Sometimes it will loose or distort the audio and sometimes mess up the picture. Only twice it has had the audio and picture out of sink. The wife watches in the bedroom more than I do and she isn't so happy with it. So far the other one in one of the spare bedroom hasn't acted up as much like the master bedroom. Reset the power or pull the HDMI cable out and put it back in will reset it. That means a complete reset. Usually works for an hour or more. Direct TV technicians haven't been able to get the system not to be flaky, and of course they want it to malfunction when they are here! Murphy's law says it will not when they are here and will when they aren't. Murphy is a pain in the....

porthole

Retired
What we do.
Have DirecTV, as Jim mentioned they only allow one Genie system per account. You would think for an extra fee they could allow more and reap the rewards.

Our house has a genie receiver and 3 clients.
In the beginning of the season I put the house's spare bedroom client in the Cyclone bedroom, for the season.
When we leave I take the house's DVR receiver and put it in the trailer.

When my daughter moved back home during home construction, I put an over the air antenna on the house so she had TV while we were gone. Between the internet and OTA antenna they had everything they wanted as far as TV goes.

In the Cyclone I have all the equipment needed to make the moving back and forth simple. The Cyclone has two power inserters permanently mounted, along with 2 spare remotes. BTW, all the AV stuff is on an inverter with a transfer switch, so they are powered all the time, no spikes.

And as for the garage, I put a TV in the garage and after two years took it out and used the space for a booze shelf.
Top shelf is for bottles, bottom shelf is for wine glasses and fine libation glassware.

SNOKING

Mini Genie's get and deserve a bad rap. We had a Genie in the SB built and a HDDVR. In the trailer we have two HDDVR's. Both the SB and trailer had/have Whole Home DVR service. We are selling the SB and I may try a second time to get the Genie running in the trailer. The reason they only allow one Geni per account is that the SWM LNB only supports 8 individual receivers and the Genie has 5 receivers per unit. Each Mini Genie's uses a receiver from the Genie's five count. I may install the Genie in the Belly for the Samsung TV I have for there, as I could not get the Genie's remote to run the volume and input on the Insignia TV in the trailers living room. I will have to set one of the HDDVR's to a single receiver. Chris

Sarge

Thanx for all the input everyone - It sounds like I need two non-Genie receivers (Main living room and bedroom) with the mini for the garage. Agreed?

Also do I have to buy them from Direct TV or can I buy them at Best Buy / used on Craigslist / etc...?

I can bang the gong at a grand - But this electronic stuff is waaay above my pay grade...

Thanx again, Sarge

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I haven't had any issues with my genie or hard wired clients since they were installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarge

Direct TV was zero help in getting this figured out.

Quick call to Wineguard - $251 for two H24 receivers and band converters shipped.

Home Direct TV account billed for $14mo additional.

Stay tuned.....

Johng1970

Try Amazon for the receivers as well. Also, just a thought, if the auto satellite dish is a dome type, you won't be able to get any high definition channels, nor will you be able to use 2 TVs on 2 different satellites. Just a thought, but there is a collapsible one that you can install on top of your rv that will do what you want, and should also bring in the high def channels, but you would have to check on that.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Could be wrong, but I don't think SWM units use Band Converters.

Correct, no band filter are used with the SWM system. BTW, got my HR44-500 connected on wireless on our new T-mobile hotspot. Now I can set recordings via my smart phone. Chris