DEF Costs

MTPockets

I usually purchase my DEF from Walmart, but on occasion have done parts stores and Ford dealer. My last purchase in February was at the dealer; 4 gallons $33.00. Today at Walmart; 5 gallons $17.00.... I really didn't pay close attention before but since I wrote it down it's clear. I know it can be even less at truck stop pumps, but usually when I want it a truck stop is not in sight.

Jim.Allison

For those of you that live in Texas, I bought 2 gallons DEF for $5 at Buc ee's. I also recently purchased a DEF tester. I figure it is much easier to test the stuff before I put it in than to have a dealer drain it out.

MTPockets

For those of you that live in Texas, I bought 2 gallons DEF for $5 at Buc ee's. I also recently purchased a DEF tester. I figure it is much easier to test the stuff before I put it in than to have a dealer drain it out.
Never considered testing.. It says on the bottles "approved by all OEM truck manufacturers" . If it's approved is there really a need to test? . What if it doesn't test to spec, what's it doing? Or not doing?

Jim.Allison

Never considered testing.. It says on the bottles "approved by all OEM truck manufacturers" . If it's approved is there really a need to test? . What if it doesn't test to spec, what's it doing? Or not doing?

It degrades with heat and time. It has a great shelf life at 70 degrees F, but at 90 it degrades exponentially. This is why you should (in the southwest) run just a partially full DEF tank, filling it to the top only when loading the vehicle. However if you are running it hard or every day then of course you are using it fast enough to keep it fresh.

In my case, I don't run my truck hard, and do not tow much between RV trips. My DEF last a long time. When I tow, I top off the DEF tank, and add as required.

As far as testing is concerned, I buy from the cheapest supplier. You can never tell when a pallet of DEF has been stored outside. What got me started testing is when my DEF sensor went out at nearly the same time I added DEF. I could not tell if it was bad DEF or something wrong with the truck. Turns out it was the DEF sensor. So for me, it is nice to be able to state that I tested the DEF, it must be the truck.

jam20ster

Most truck stops sell DEF at the pump for $2.59-$2.69 a gallon. All the newer big rigs have to use DEF also so it is super convenient and inexpensive this way. It usually cost me $8-$10 to fill tank full. By buying from the major truck stops you know that their tanks are being turned over often and the DEF is fresh. I have used this method for my last 2 trucks and have never had one issue.

SNOKING

I have bought all of mine so far at WM 4 or 5, maybe 6 boxes. I check the date of the Blue DEF before purchasing. I let them recycle the box, as if I wait until it gets a little below 1/2 then it will take the whole 2.5 gal box. SNOKING

Jim.Allison

RTSNFL

I don't use the stuff in my 2012 F350, I did the deletes and tuned the truck with an SCT tuner unloaded on the hwy I get 18.5 mpg at 70mph, (14.5mpg stock) out of my DRW truck. I did keep all the stuff I deleted in case I get rid of the truck. Even the mechanics at the dealer told me afterwards now the engine should be trouble free for 500,000 miles.