DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid bulk purchase & storage

szewczyk_john

Might sound like a strange question but...

There is a Speedway near me that sells DEF at the pumps for around 2.69 a gallon. At least I believe that is what it was the last time I was in that area. Anyway, they sell it much cheaper than the 2.5 gallon jugs you can buy in stores usually on sale for 2 for $25.00. If I would buy a new fuel can and only use it for DEF, is there any problems with this being stored in a garage? I know that DEF does have a shelf life of about 2 years depending on temperature. Not only would it be cheaper but I am not usually in the area of the station so I would actually be going out of my way to get there. This idea would allow me to get 2 fill ups at one time. Seems like a no-brainer does anyone know of any concerns which I am not aware of?

Gary521

Yes, there is a shelf life on this stuff. Can't remember exactly but its not a terribly long time.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I found a Google search that said it has a life of 2 years unless exposed to direct sunlight which degrades it over time.

SNOKING

WHY is the question. It is available at truck stops across the country at the pumps. In two years and 32K miles I have only used Peak Blue DEF from WM and once a box in Wells, Nv at a Love's Truck Stop.

When the gauge gets to slightly below half full, it will take the full 2.5 gal box. Not towing it will go many miles, towing 500-600 miles or so for 2.5 gallons.

Only one or twice have I carried a box, waiting for it to get to blow 50 percent. I have been to Arizona and back three times. And 1400+ miles in the first 48 hours of ownership(Greeley, Co to NW Washington)>

Chris

Mark-Roberta 051995

I have purchased the box once - now just keep the jug so when I am traveling I fill up the tank and jug at the same time. You should get about 1000 miles (towing heavy) on a tank of DEF (dependent on vehicle).

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Re: DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid bulk purchase & storage

There was a DEF thread sometime ago you might search to find it. I had posted an article from a mfg of DEF and how it degrades with time and temp. You won't be savinging anything in my opinion. If not towing I can go longer than the 5,000 mile oil change on a tank of DEF. I live in a rural area as well but there is DEF available everywhere within 30 miles of the ranch. Can't see any good reason you would want to store that stuff!

- - - Updated - - -

I have purchased the box once - now just keep the jug so when I am traveling I fill up the tank and jug at the same time. You should get about 1000 miles (towing heavy) on a tank of DEF (dependent on vehicle).

[Wow, your truck really uses a lot of DEF....I get 1400=1500 miles per gallon not towing and 900 miles per gallon towing on my Ram.]

Mark-Roberta 051995

Re: DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid bulk purchase & storage

There was a DEF thread sometime ago you might search to find it. I had posted an article from a mfg of DEF and how it degrades with time and temp. You won't be savinging anything in my opinion. If not towing I can go longer than the 5,000 mile oil change on a tank of DEF. I live in a rural area as well but there is DEF available everywhere within 30 miles of the ranch. Can't see any good reason you would want to store that stuff!

- - - Updated - - -

[Wow, your truck really uses a lot of DEF....I get 1400=1500 miles per gallon not towing and 900 miles per gallon towing on my Ram.]

Let me rephrase my answer - 1000 miles on a jug which is 2.5 gallons - not a tank. When we travel to Charlotte and back (900 miles) I can put a 2.5 gallon jug back into my tank. It seem excessive I know. When I drive the truck when not towing - about 7000 - 8000 miles.

dave10a

I am skeptical about using bulk DEF in service plaza's unless it has proper certification listed somewhere. Keep in mind certified DEF is double distilled deionized water and pharmacy grade urea. Non certified DEF is unknown distilled water and could be agriculture grade urea. That could mean long term problems with the exhaust system. Cheap is not always the best.

alexb2000

I've never understood the big deal either, even at retail by the container prices the cost is about equivalent of 3 gals of diesel every 5K miles.

Even if you save 50% of retail, I wouldn't take up the room in the garage for that.

dave10a

I might add that when buying DEF from Walmart or other stores that allow returns, make sure the seal is not broken on top of the container. There has been reports from Walmart that some returns were authorized and put back on the shelves when the seal was removed on refiled with plain water. Always check the container seal before purchasing. There are some dishonest people out there.....

dewwood

I buy mine at farm stores and it costs from $6.99 to $7.99 for 2.5 gal jugs. For that price I would not be willing to store it in larger quantities. If you have a TSC or Rural King or some other farm store in your area check it out.