DETERMINED: Manual operation of hydraulic landing gear

danemayer

Re: hydraulic landing gear

Do you have a good charge on the battery? If so, it could be a switch problem. You may have the same switch used to operate the rear stabilizers. If so, you could try replacing the landing gear switch with the one from the stabilizers.

Before disconnecting any wires, it's a good idea to take a picture and label wires so you don't forget what goes where.

ceseitz

Thanks for the reply, my first thought was the switch. It just didn't feel right. But not having a new switch in hand, but having a drill I attempted to spin the motor to retrack the landing gear. And I guess I' m wondering why that didn't work.
We were able to hook up and get to our destination being very careful due to the landing gear not being fulling retracted. I will need to try a switch now, since I'm hooked to the truck.
If you can hear the sarcasm I would like to thank Camping World in Hanover Pa for letting me know 1st available appointment would be July 31st, after I explained the above to him. Guess I'll just have to pull the 395 around with me for the next month.

jnbhobe

That's a pretty simple system as far as basic 12V power, get a test light or meter and make sure you have 12V to the soloniod.

danemayer

having a drill I attempted to spin the motor to retrack the landing gear. And I guess I' m wondering why that didn't work.
The drill will spin the motor and the pump will put pressure on the hydraulic fluid, but you also have to open the control valve(s) manually to enable the fluid to flow to or from the desired mechanism. The switch sends power to both the pump and the valve. Manual operation has to also operate both.

ceseitz

Thanks all for the helpful response
I did check the power
heartland /Brooke went over and beyond e mailing a part picture to be sure it is the right one.new switch is on the way
And yes it makes perfect sence that the valve would need to be open. I did not come close to thinking that, lesson learned

Donszarko

The rocker arm on my 2013 BIG Country 3250 electric switch just broke so I was unable to move my landing gear up or down using the switch. My owners manual does not show me how to use the manual override and the local service technician had some idea but was unable to guide me through the manual process. He told me to use a drill and by trial and error turn clockwise or counterclockwise to lower and raise. Tried this and no movement in either direction. When I asked him about releasing one of the valves to the hydraulic hoses he said that I didn't need to do this. I think he is wrong.
I am assuming that because this is a Liepert pump the switch may be common to this pump? The issue is the switch which I will replace. However, I need to be able to lift the landing gear manually in a pinch.
Can someone please advise me how to use the manual override system on a hydraulic lift system?

Donszarko

I have two valves leading to black hoses? Is it the hex nut on each that one loosens and does the drill lift or raise immediately? Or is it the allen key on a solenoid that also controls pressure to the slides? The dealer RV technicians are not much help.

Don

danemayer

Hi Donszarko,

Here's a link to a Lippert document that shows the manual override procedure with accompanying pictures. Lippert has made many, many versions of the landing gear and leveling systems over the years for various models and floor plans. Yours will look different.

You'll want to open the valve before operating the drill. One direction will cause the gear to retract and the other direction will extend. I think clockwise will extend, but I'm not positive.

As for which valve controls what, there are many different configurations, so you'll probably have to proceed with care. Keep in mind that some valves will operate the slide outs, so arrange things inside with the assumption that the slides may start moving.

When done, don't forget to close the valve(s).

Donszarko

Thanks. I did find another Lippert manual online and you are right there are many models. Ironically, the one and only manual submitted on the Heartland Owners forum seems to be close to the hydraulic system on my Big Country.

It tells me there is a 5/32 set screw at the top of one of the landing Jacks that has to be released before attempting to use a drill to retract or extend. It even tells me that clockwise retracts and counterclockwise extends. So my only hope is that my system is the same.

These hydraulic systems are more complicated than the standard electric.

Thanks again.

Don

Donszarko

Another question re: interchanging the electric rear stabilizer switch with the front landing gear switch? An older post suggested this could be done . But a service tech told me a hydraulic switch is different. Anyone with knowledge of whether this would work?

danemayer

Another question re: interchanging the electric rear stabilizer switch with the front landing gear switch? An older post suggested this could be done . But a service tech told me a hydraulic switch is different. Anyone with knowledge of whether this would work?

Pretty sure both switches are 1) momentary rockers, 2) 12V DC, 3) double pole, double throw, 4) as pictured below from a wiring standpoint.

Take a picture of each switch with wires in place before taking any wires off. Make some notes. Be certain you can put things back together.

Attachments

• DPDT DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg
    DPDT DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 12

Donszarko

Pretty sure both switches are 1) momentary rockers, 2) 12V DC, 3) double pole, double throw, 4) as pictured below from a wiring standpoint.

Take a picture of each switch with wires in place before taking any wires off. Make some notes. Be certain you can put things back together.

Thanks. The wiring diagram is exactly my landing gear switch. I have taken photos of the landing gear switch wiring but had not even thought about the electric stabilizer switch being the same. Primarily, because the service tech I was speaking with over the phone told me hydraulic switches were different.

Tomorrow I hope to pick up a new switch and head back to the campground where my RV is sitting. Still one more weekend of camping before storing the unit for winter.

Thank goodness for this forum and being able to tap into people's experiences.

Donszarko

Thanks. The wiring diagram is exactly my landing gear switch. I have taken photos of the landing gear switch wiring but had not even thought about the electric stabilizer switch being the same. Primarily, because the service tech I was speaking with over the phone told me hydraulic switches were different.

Tomorrow I hope to pick up a new switch and head back to the campground where my RV is sitting. Still one more weekend of camping before storing the unit for winter.

Thank goodness for this forum and being able to tap into people's experiences.

Update

Just to report back the problem was the landing gear switch. However, finding one was very problematic in that only one dealer had a single switch in stock. They told me that they all had switches on order but Heartland is notorious for taking an inordinate amount of time to complete their parts orders.

Donszarko

Thanks. I did find another Lippert manual online and you are right there are many models. Ironically, the one and only manual submitted on the Heartland Owners forum seems to be close to the hydraulic system on my Big Country.

It tells me there is a 5/32 set screw at the top of one of the landing Jacks that has to be released before attempting to use a drill to retract or extend. It even tells me that clockwise retracts and counterclockwise extends. So my only hope is that my system is the same.

These hydraulic systems are more complicated than the standard electric.

Thanks again.

Don

Problem Solved with locating landing gear manual override solenoid.

This was perhaps the most frustrating experience because I had to consult three service techs from different dealerships and in the end found the hydraulic release solenoid on my own. What I discovered is that the manual override solenoid on most newer Big Country units is located on the drivers side landing jack next to the LPG tanks. Some are exposed and obvious. On my unit it was completely hidden behind an aluminum wall and impossible to access directly. So, I simply cut an access hole with tin snips to gain access to the solenoid. the release set screw you need to back off when deploying the manual override is on the end of the solenoid.

Three days of frustration in my life that I will never get back.