Devils tower to Cody

Capt7383

We are looking for a white knuckle FREE route from Devils Tower to Cody Wy. Late sept. Early oct.We are driving a 2005 gmc 3500 dually, 6.6 lly no exhaust brake yet, I am considering a banks speed brake but we may not have it for this trip. I really don't want to risk steep grades, the horror stories got to me. We are pulling a 2014 big country 35 ft fifth wheel with drum brakes about 13500 lbs. we heard nice things about Cody but our final destination is Yellowstone. We thought we would spend two weeks exploring Yellowstone. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MCTalley

I-90 to Buffalo, WY
From Buffalo, take US 16 west to US 20 north to US 14 west.

Haven't been that route, but plan on it sometime. Picked that up from others on the forum here. Apparently, US 14 west from just north of Sheridan is full of those horror stories you're alluding to.

wdk450

The US 16 route from Buffalo wyoming West is 4 lane road most of the way, but still crosses the North-South Bighorn mountain range with the pass at 10,000 feet. It is a steep long pull on both sides of the mountains. Most of us attending the 2012 National Rally in Gillette, then back to the 1st Wyoming Chapter rally in Cody made the trip on Hwy 16. One guy blew a turbo hose off, I overheated my transmission going up, then overheated my brakes going down. There were extenuating circumstances with my mechanical problems.

Other posters have advised going North on US 90 to Montana, then back down to Cody, circling around the Bighorn range. You could also go South to Casper, then West and North again back up to Cody.

I have read on other RVing sites that Hwy 14 out of Ranchester crossing the Bighorn Mountains is much worse than Hwy 16.

You can go to I90 and on to Laurel Mt which is just past Billings. Turn south and it's about 100 miles to Cody. It is longer but you don't have to go over the Big Horn mountains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt7383

You can go to I90 and on to Laurel Mt which is just past Billings. Turn south and it's about 100 miles to Cody. It is longer but you don't have to go over the Big Horn mountains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, it looks like we would take 72 to 120. Appreciate the advice

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk