Pulling mountains

Capt7383

Interesting that tranny temps got warm on the LBZ. My 04 was even less modern with the LB7 but still had the Allison 1000. I never had tranny temps run much over 200 even on long Arizona grades and Tijeras Canyon coming out of Albuquerque is also a good test but at lower outside temps than the Sunset Point climb from Black Canyon City on the way to Flagstaff. One reason might be that I switched to Torque Drive (Amsoil) way back when. I never compared temps but would guess the synthetic made a difference. Personally I think if you had to pull over because the tranny heated up there was something else wrong. Especially with the Allison.

In any event my Edge disagrees with my engine temp but not the transmission in the 14. It shows coolant temps at 185 on flat runs with the trailer and the idiot dial in the truck shows 210. I believe the Edge.

There is nothing wrong with babying an engine but diesels were made to work and hard work does not punish them. So keeping it within it's limits does not hurt a thing and if you look at the tach on whatever engine you have in it, there is an orange and then a red. Red is bad and if you have ever pushed the engine you will notice that it does a fair amount of shifting to keep you out of the red and thus the temps down. Computers! The best thing that ever happened to engines (unless they go out then all he!! breaks loose.

Back when muscle cars were in I used to baby my cars and I had a friend that would build an engine, put it in, put good oil in it and take it out and just run the Pixx out of it. He never had one use oil and never had one go and every one of them would out run anything on the road. I never saw him get beat in a street drag race. So who knows.
Thanks

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

The 05 lly/ Allison transmission will shut you down a gear until the temperature is in a safe operation range. It may even shut down a second gear but you're always going to be rolling.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk