Diesel Aux and main tanks

fritzwell

I installed the Titan just about a year ago now, did it myself in about 2hr, hardest part was getting the electrical connections disconnected. I did a lot of internet searching before landing on the Titan, fit my needs very well. I spent a lot of time looking for the best deal, installed price and the ole DIY. Ended up getting it through Summit Racing on sale with free shipping. Thinking it was like 980.00 without the gravel guard. Had the local Ford dealer reprogram the fuel EDI. Have the instructions for doing this if anyone needs them.

pegmikef

If anyone has had their stock tank replaced by their Ford dealership with either the Titan or Transferflow, do you recall what you were charged?

My dealership also owns an accessories place and they charged me a hundred bucks to replace the OEM tank with a transferflo fifty gallon tank in my shortbed F250. Had to take it to the dealership itself to get the MTE reprogrammed for fifty gallons (no charge). I too have the instructions if anyone needs them. Someone put them in the forum a couple of years ago.

Wmnmy

I have the 45 gal in bed gravity fed tank in my ford and I get about 700 miles before I fill up more with no head wind absolutely love it and I get to put a box of def fluid a propane tank an crate in front of it and behind the hitch also . Bout 500$ at CW but northern tools had it for lil over 300$ found out after I installed it lol...

Bohemian

It's time to go fill my new Titan 55 gal replacement fuel tank.

BTW: Some people have ssid that this tank does not fit in the Ram 3500 CC LB DRW trucks with air suspenion. It fits fine.

Bones

It's time to go fill my new Titan 55 gal replacement fuel tank.

BTW: Some people have ssid that this tank does not fit in the Ram 3500 CC LB DRW trucks with air suspenion. It fits fine.
Holy cow. I didn't even think my air suspension would even come into play with a larger tank. Did you have to have your computer reprogrammed? Can you just drop the old tank put the new one in and go?

Lynn1130

Most vehicle computers are set for the stock tank and will not recognize a change. Same goes with over sized wheels or tires. The computer needs to be reprogrammed. My DIC was showing about 500 miles when I would fill up before the reprogram. After the reprogram it shows 999 with a fill up. It stays there for 150 to 200 miles before it starts moving down. With the trailer on it shows around 600 miles to empty. It calculates by your previous mileage and adjusts as you travel.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lynn, several years ago GM stopped letting anyone reprogram the ABS or the ECM for any add-ons. Sometimes the fuel gage will go to an empty reading but will start working again with an ignition key cycle. Mine has done this 3 times on a long trips. The brains of the outfit does not like the fact that you have driven 400 miles with out adding/needing fuel. The ECM does not care how much fuel is in the AUX tank. It only calculates what the fuel level is in the main tank.

porthole

Retired
If anyone has had their stock tank replaced by their Ford dealership with either the Titan or Transferflow, do you recall what you were charged?

Takes about 2 hours in your driveway solo (Titan). So it shouldn't be more then 2 hours at a dealership.

whp4262

Just a side note but I use my aux tank all the time even when not towing and run it empty before filling up again. Helps keep the water out and the fuel fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Bob, I don't use a dealer tune. As my signature notes the tune is "EFI Live" which will tune just about anything in the ECM including the analog gauge, and DIC . I had the tank in about two weeks before completing the EFI changes and the analog gauge was off by a pretty big amount until the changes. Think about this. The analog gauge works off of a signal from the fuel gauge in the tank. If the signal is adjusted for different levels it can be corrected for the specific tank. If I could show you the screen shot for adjusting the fuel gauges, it might be easier to explain and if I figure it out I will do that. The DIC works only on what the ECM tells it and since the ECM was still telling it that there was a 26 gal tank in the truck it was off by 100%. Once changed it came to it's senses. I understand that an Aux tank is a different animal but I do not have one of those. If I gave that impression, I am sorry.

It might help understand EFI Live, if your interested, by going to that Web Site.

Interestingly, the LB7 engine can be tuned with EFI, put back to stock and the dealer cannot tell there was a tune on the truck. That is not true with the later engines. I do not have a power tune on the truck and won't do that. I don't need it.

I should add that EFI Live is software not a "chip". You can download the software from the site for free and play around with it. It requires a license for your particular VIN and an interface to reprogram your ECM. Not knowing what you are doing can kill your vehicle so you always save the stock ECM program before trying on your own and in most cases it is better to use a professional programmer's tunes.

Last edited:

Bohemian

Holy cow. I didn't even think my air suspension would even come into play with a larger tank. Did you have to have your computer reprogrammed? Can you just drop the old tank put the new one in and go?

Yes, just drop the old tank and install the new. It's a monster, extends from where the old tank started back to the rear axle.

We just completed a turkey day trip of 500 mles. The 250 miles there we went from filled to the peg to the fill mark. On he way back we dropped down to 1/2 full. Took 30 gals at home.

jgilbert

My range is a whole lot less than that. My current tank is somewhere around 31 gallons. That gives me 300 miles max but I get ancsy when I get at 1/4 tank which is about 250 miles.

That's my feeling as well. My 2014 Dodge has a 32 gallon tank, but when I start getting below 1/2 tank when towing, I start getting uncomfortable. I am thinking that the Transfer Flow 50 gallon under the tonneau cover tank is the best way to go for me. That would give me 82 gallons and about 800 miles towing. I could travel two full days before needing to seek more fuel. That would be great!!

Joe

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
That's my feeling as well. My 2014 Dodge has a 32 gallon tank, but when I start getting below 1/2 tank when towing, I start getting uncomfortable. I am thinking that the Transfer Flow 50 gallon under the tonneau cover tank is the best way to go for me. That would give me 82 gallons and about 800 miles towing. I could travel two full days before needing to seek more fuel. That would be great!!

Joe

Well everything is relative. I have a OEM tank of 26 gallons plus the 35+/- RDS aux tank that fills the OEM tank by gravity. I run the aux tank open while towing which is roughly a day's towing for us. But once my fuel gauge begins moving I know that aux tank is empty so I'm planning my next fuel stop even though I still have 20+ gallons !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgilbert

Now with our 115gal Dually Depot tank, we never stop to fuel on the road with trailer in tow. We can rest-stop when and where it's convenient, fuel while in motion, and get there sooner!!

Dually Depot is in Elkhart, not sure if they ship. But it's a pump with switch in cab, that runs fuel through a filter first. Overflow flows back into aux tank. Works great!!! We got a really good deal on a used tank, with new pump, filter, fuel lines, etc and installed for $800.

Can you give me an idea of how big your 115 gallon tank is? I am talking height, width, depth. How does it operate?

Very interested!!

Thanks,
Joe

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I removed the aux tank from my 11 Ram and placed it in my 16 Ram. In the past I ran gravity feed and it worked great, but didn't leave the shut off valve open unless I wanted to transfer.
With my 16 Ram I ordered 5 aux switches built in the dash. I used one to run a transfer pump from the aux tank to the main tank. It works great and I don't have to worry about the shut off valve.
Either system, gravity or pump works great, just the pump is more convenient. You do have to pay attention to shut off the aux switch however! With the gravity flow that is not a problem.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can you give me an idea of how big your 115 gallon tank is? I am talking height, width, depth. How does it operate?

Very interested!!

Thanks,
Joe

Joe, we had this tank installed by Dually Depot in Elkhart. Here is a link to their site and a "special" they are offering right now, $1375 installed.

I can measure it tomorrow, but here are some pics, when it was installed in our 2004 GMC. We have a switch in the cab (just under the dash) that we flip to pump fuel from the aux tank to the truck's tank. It is plumbed with a recirculating feature that once the truck's tank is full, excess goes back into the aux tank. Ut also has an external fuel filter.

The only drawback to this tank is that the fuel lines come out of the top of the tank, (see the little rectangular shield covering them) and that shield sticks above the bed rails, which I believe would make it difficult to use a bed cover.

We can get 100 gal in the tank before the pump's shutoff starts kicking the pump off due to the fumes. It has a fuel gauge on top. It has two locking fill caps, so you can fuel from either side of the truck.

IMG_0063.jpgIMG_0064.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You do have to pay attention to shut off the aux switch however!

We used the stopwatch feature on the phone to time how long it took the pump to get the truck's fuel gauge from 1/4 to full. Then when traveling and need fuel (1/4 tank left in truck), we set a timer on our phone to run the pump for that amount of time.

RoadJunkie

From Titan site: "Passing and surpassing the DOT (Department of Transportation) standards test to prove the quality of fuel tanks".

The statement doesn't seem to clearly state DOT approved/certified. Probably best to clarify.

I have done some research on the Transferflow tanks regarding DOT approval and these are my findings: First, Transferflow does not make a gravity feed tank because of safety concerns (they feel) with the nature of the valving process and reliability consequences. Their in-bed tank designs fill the stock tanks with a pumping process. Although their in-bed systems and the stock replacement tanks meet or exceed DOT requirements, they are not DOT approved. However their in-bed fuel transfer systems (the units that have the nozzle, pump and hose for refilling) are DOT approved under a special permit...of some sort. This is meant for general information and reflects conversations I have had with Transferflow.

DOT approved under a special permit.