Diesel exhaust fluid

jam20ster

Here in Tx i have never heard of anyone getting pulled over for emissions or once pulled over even questioned about emissions. I'm sure there is an exception to every rule, but for every person I know with a current model diesel truck (and I know a bunch) over 50% of them are deleted. It's almost becoming the thing to do.

Just a side note: I called my local Ford dealership I purchased my truck from to get a refund on my 100,000 mile warranty I paid extra for and of course they asked me why. I was honest with them and told them I deleted my emissions. The person on the other end of the phone said "Then I guess we will never see your truck in for any service work." I made a comment back and they said the only reason they see the newer diesel trucks is for emission problems.

They confirmed my reason for doing the delete and my money is in the mail.

brianlajoie

Tampering with the exhaust system on new diesels is a violation of the clean air act. (Talk to VW) I don't know if it is an urban myth, but I heard if you are pulled over and found in violation, your truck goes straight to the dealer to be fixed and a fine of $7,500 is handed out. Do not pass go.

I'm not sure who would be pulling you over whether it is an EPA cop or whom ever. In Colorado, I was required to get an emission test for my 2012 F350 license plate renewal this year.

Looks like more than half the states have some regulation / testing requirements. Texas is exempt (along with 15 other states), but if you travel to another state, there could be an issue if the truck is out of that state's compliance.

http://www.tercenter.org/pages/tailpipe.cfm

IronJ

My dealer was cool...said they would honor whatever my delete/tune didnt break .....also commented on how the epa stuff mucks up the engine. Dpf failure is a given as is the egr valve/cooler...mine are gone...

I got in an accident in colorado and pulled over a couple of times(utah and cali) with my very deleted and super tuned 2011 srw the 6" exhaust is a dead give away....never a question or comment....but one ticket...lol..not to mention i was well over my gvrw and cargo cap both times....

Only thing ive been even remotely questioned by was towing a race car 5er behind the toter home......well over the 65' limit in texas....he asked what the vette ran in quarter and gave us a warning...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

pslake1

I am a new DEF truck owner and this forum has been interesting. I did not know you can purchase at the pump. Is it only at truck stops?
I have 2017 RaM 2500 6.7 and I have been looking at capacities and so far nothing on the size of the tank. I have purchased once at Walmart and filled the 2.5 gallons and expected it to be full. The only statement in the manual was a reference to the gauge being at 3/4 empty being 2 Gallons. Not true. So any help would be great.

danemayer

I am a new DEF truck owner and this forum has been interesting. I did not know you can purchase at the pump. Is it only at truck stops?
I have 2017 RaM 2500 6.7 and I have been looking at capacities and so far nothing on the size of the tank. I have purchased once at Walmart and filled the 2.5 gallons and expected it to be full. The only statement in the manual was a reference to the gauge being at 3/4 empty being 2 Gallons. Not true. So any help would be great.
Our 2014 RAM DEF tank holds about 5 gallons, as did our 2011 GMC.

Flying J/Pilot truck stops all seem to have Bulk DEF at just about every pump now. Loves may also. I think I've been at at least one Loves 2 years ago that used magnetic protection to keep you from pumping DEF into your fuel tank. Since our trucks don't have the magnet, I had to borrow one inside. Don't know if that's still the case at Loves, or whether it's widespread.

Many Walmarts sell 2.5 Gallon Peak brand DEF. In addition, I'm starting to see a private label Walmart DEF for under $8 per 2.5 Gallon. That's getting close to the truck stop bulk price.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
If my memory is correct, my 2016 3500 Ram hold 6 gallons of def...one gallon left at the red line on the def gauge. I am getting 1800 miles per gallon not towing and from 1200-1300 under tow.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know the DEF tank capacity in my RAM and really don't care. All I know is what works for me is that when the gauge gets to just under the half mark it will accept one 2½ gallon jug of DEF.

Peace
Dave

pslake1

I don't know the DEF tank capacity in my RAM and really don't care. All I know is what works for me is that when the gauge gets to just under the half mark it will accept one 2½ gallon jug of DEF.

Peace
Dave

Thanks for the insight.

Paul

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I''m glad I don't have to buy it. With my 2017 Ford I just stop by the dealer anytime I need DEF and they fill it.

Bones

Peace
Dave

X2 same thing here with adding DEF

dave10a

Blue DEF is ISO certified while Walmart brand is not. Be ware ISO certification does make a difference for purity consistency which is very Important. That is a case where you get what you pay for.

CoveredWagon

Blue DEF is ISO certified while Walmart brand is not. Be ware ISO certification does make a difference for purity consistency which is very Important. That is a case where you get what you pay for.

Just bought a jug of DEF (diesel juice) at Walmart, about $8 for 2.5 gals. It states on the label Petroleum Institute certified ISO xxxxxx .

BusManRG

Many Walmarts sell 2.5 Gallon Peak brand DEF. In addition, I'm starting to see a private label Walmart DEF for under $8 per 2.5 Gallon. That's getting close to the truck stop bulk price.

Our 2013 Ford holds about 5 gallons. At $2.89 a gallon, we just pop into the local flying J when we get the half tank warning.

Sandy

dave10a

Just bought a jug of DEF (diesel juice) at Walmart, about $8 for 2.5 gals. It states on the label Petroleum Institute certified ISO xxxxxx .

American Petroleum Institute certification is not the same as ISO 22241 certification. The API set the standard and ISO confirms the quality control of that standard. Therefore the consistency of the mixture from batch to batch could have a variance around that API citification. I am willing to pay the extra few dollars to have a piece of mind that the DEF is more consistently pure-- your exhaust system will be happier :)

BusManRG

American Petroleum Institute certification is not the same as ISO 22241 certification. The API set the standard and ISO confirms the quality control of that standard. Therefore the consistency of the mixture from batch to batch could have a variance around that API citification. I am willing to pay the extra few dollars to have a piece of mind that the DEF is more consistently pure-- your exhaust system will be happier :)

I'm guessing the bulk DEF available at truck stops is not ISO certified?

dave10a

I'm guessing the bulk DEF available at truck stops is not ISO certified?
That is a good question. There should be certification stickers somewhere in the Truck stop, but I would not hold my breath. The big advantage of truck stops is convenience and fresher fuel. The ctain rating of their diesel in most states is close to 40 which is probably more likely generic diesel. I would venture to say their DEF is generic as well and most likely meets the minimum specs like their diesel.