Diesel Generator???

TX_Clay

Have a 2015 CY3010 that has the Onan 5500 gas generator. Have been contemplating pulling it out and putting a Onan Diesel RV generator in its place.
Diesel runs more efficiently, plus, that would add 30 gals of extra fuel for my TV if I needed it. Never ran out of fuel, but I have made the mistake of pushing it to the next station and that station was closed and had to pray I made the next one.
Looks like the Diesels are a lot more pricey and can buy a whole lot of fuel with the price difference in them. Curious if anyone has done it and what the pitfalls may be?

MTPockets

I have not done that in an RV; did have one on our boat. Same output diesel will be heavier and larger.

avvidclif

I looked up the new Onan diesel and it's interesting. Seems it's an inverter design rated 6kw. 6" taller (other dim same), 141 lbs heavier (water cooled), uses .49 GPH vs .6 .

Down side $7500 vs $3700. I had thinking similar to you, extra fuel for TV, but the price difference will buy lots of gas and several 5 gal cans of diesel.

Maybe after I hit the lottery, sigh. Someone told me you have to play to win, double sigh.

porthole

Retired
I demoed the Onan diesel at Hershey last year. It is an inverter type and it is quiet. Variable speed as well.

Not going to put one in the Cyclone, but if I was spec'ing out a new trailer, odds are if I could it would go in.
Then I would add the ability to tap off the trucks fuel tanks