Diesel generator

Gerri

I bought a 13kW diesel generator from the Cat dealer in Hilo several years ago, but it was pricey! Cost back then was $14,000. The reason I bought it was because I wanted an extremely reliable genset that could handle its rated load 24/7. It's a wonderful piece of gear!

Keep in mind that most generator have load ratings that are not 24/7, but depending on your needs, buying a genset not rated for 24/7 usage is a LOT cheaper.

I admit that I've come close to buying a Honda genset here in Cebu, but I feel like the extra money would give me a genset that would last longer than a few years. There are cheaper gensets that you can see at Ace Hardware in SM Mall that might do the job for you. I don't think I saw anything there that was larger than 8kW though.

I called some of the Honda genset dealerships (and emailed) them about stock. For the most part, nobody picks up the phone and certainly nobody responded to any of my email.

Oh, and the Honda gensets had some rated for operating very quiet. My Cat 13kW generator was NOISY!

If you're going to power your business / house with a genset, try installing a circuit breaker with a mechanical interlock.

Nightshifter

I’m updating the diesel generator install. Almost complete waiting for the pipe from the exhaust shop. But the rest is complete. The tank is in and all piped. Installed a water/ fuel separator ind tied into the KIB panel for remote start/stop. I installed a fuel sender in the tank and a gauge in the control center to monitor fuel level. This unit works great. It is very quiet. Also when I was connecting the generator I cleaned up the wiring compartment. I removed the small circuit breakers an installed a 12 volt buss along with a ground buss. Now I can label the circuits and find a problem if one comes up. I also upgraded the breaker for the hydraulic pump right away.

Attachments

• A535F4BD-E41B-4E00-8AB8-43E3905EC929.jpg
    A535F4BD-E41B-4E00-8AB8-43E3905EC929.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 6CDEDA95-371F-4677-BAE0-9DBE493E2224.jpg
    6CDEDA95-371F-4677-BAE0-9DBE493E2224.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 5CE5E362-F3F0-426D-99B5-6C9F0E015AAC.jpg
    5CE5E362-F3F0-426D-99B5-6C9F0E015AAC.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 767C399A-06E8-4E58-8D61-886765F07F29.jpg
    767C399A-06E8-4E58-8D61-886765F07F29.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 553520F7-BFA0-4C39-ADEF-A4A384294BBC.jpg
    553520F7-BFA0-4C39-ADEF-A4A384294BBC.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 0EC3DD90-BCA0-405E-868D-2B08731F5463.jpg
    0EC3DD90-BCA0-405E-868D-2B08731F5463.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 81
  • A154ED99-D866-4D75-A09A-1B2EA9958BDA.jpg
    A154ED99-D866-4D75-A09A-1B2EA9958BDA.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 86

jbeletti

Wow - your work product is amazing!

What are all the upfitter-like switches for in your control panel area (image 5 of 7)

porthole

Retired
I’m updating the diesel generator install. Almost complete waiting for the pipe from the exhaust shop. But the rest is complete. The tank is in and all piped. Installed a water/ fuel separator ind tied into the KIB panel for remote start/stop. I installed a fuel sender in the tank and a gauge in the control center to monitor fuel level. This unit works great. It is very quiet. Also when I was connecting the generator I cleaned up the wiring compartment. I removed the small circuit breakers an installed a 12 volt buss along with a ground buss. Now I can label the circuits and find a problem if one comes up. I also upgraded the breaker for the hydraulic pump right away.

Looks great.
Where do yo plan on running the exhaust?

I had always considered running it right to the rear of the trailer. I talked with Onan engineers and they said length is no problem, just limit the 90's to two. Each 90 degree bend is equal to approximately 50-60 feet of straight pipe.

With a diesel gen I am more inclined to run that pipe to the rear.

porthole

Retired

What is the extra tap for on the fuel filter?
If a feed from your truck tank, how are you doing the return?

Have you looked into the PCS programming yet?

porthole

Retired
Of note, on my PCS panel the system takes the generator hour meter feed circuit and applies it to the power source input.

So when the gen is running, the PCS "sees" the generator and bypasses the load sharing and the panel assumes that full power is available (as on 50 amp shore-power). So, no reprogramming is necessary.

danemayer

Of note, on my PCS panel the system takes the generator hour meter feed circuit and applies it to the power source input.

So when the gen is running, the PCS "sees" the generator and bypasses the load sharing and the panel athssumes that full power is available (as on 50 amp shore-power). So, no reprogramming is necessary.
Duane,

Did PCS tell you that?

porthole

Retired
Duane,

Did PCS tell you that?

Half and half.

A clip from my PCS manual (mini manual like the monitor, 1 double sided page).

18F4F2AF-5321-4247-8183-FAC20BD6E9F1.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

And from a PCS tech

AC Power panel portable generator tricking
On the control panel that shows amps, AC 1, etc, is where your onboard generator ‘hour meter’ connection is located. When you start the generator, the hour meter signal tells the panel to basically go to sleep, and the 110 onboard generator provides all of it’s available current.

When the power cable is ‘not’ actually plugged into 50 amps, that same panel restricts incoming power to 30 amps, no matter how much is available. Or 20 amps if you manually adjust it.

- - - Updated - - -

Running a switch and 12 volt wire to the PCS Generator sense is a trick some have been using to run bridged portable generators.

danemayer

Interesting. Here's what the manual says about generator for the larger unit in LM 365.
Generator - PCS senses power to the Gen Hour Meter to determine this modeof operation. PCS controls the loads so that the current does not exceed the
ratings of the installed Generator, for example L1 limit of 35amps, L2 limit of
35amps, and a combined Limit of 63 amps.

As Heartland installs Onan 5500 generators in LM 365, the limit is less than the example here - more like 45 amps.

I'm surprised that the mini PCS is programmed to assume the toy hauler's generator supplies enough power to do everything and goes to sleep. 5500 watts from the generator is way less than 12,000 from 50 amp shore power and I would expect with 3 A/C units running, it would be pretty easy to trip breakers.

porthole

Retired
Interesting. Here's what the manual says about generator for the larger unit in LM 365.

As Heartland installs Onan 5500 generators in LM 365, the limit is less than the example here - more like 45 amps.

I'm surprised that the mini PCS is programmed to assume the toy hauler's generator supplies enough power to do everything and goes to sleep. 5500 watts from the generator is way less than 12,000 from 50 amp shore power and I would expect with 3 A/C units running, it would be pretty easy to trip breakers.

Don't know the answer to that one.

My generator is 8K so I'm a bit closer to the 12K shore power

Nightshifter

I spoke to PCS about putting my 8kw diesel genset in my 365. They told me that the head was programmed to manage a max of 5.5 KW. I would not be able to get the full power out of the 8Kw. They programmed a new head and sent it to me to match the 8kw power supply. Now I am set and the unit works great. The head was $95.00 with the programming and shipping. I could have sent the old one back and they could have wiped it clean and reprogrammed it but the cost would have been almost the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Porthole
The extra tap is to fill my truck tank or my auxiliary if I would get in a jamb and need fuel for the truck. I could rob it from the diesel generator tank. I would use a small transfer pump. In the same way I have a tap on my aux tank to go back to the generator tank if need be.

porthole

Retired
Porthole
i can give you the technicians name and phone number who took care of me if you like.

I have the mini PCS, and according to the instructions the load shedding is bypassed if using the generator.

I broke it in good the other day. 100 degrees out, had all three AC’s running and the inverter putting out 125 charge amps to the batteries. Did that while traveling. Nice cool RV when we got to the campground.

Worked great but it was probably close to the 1 gallon an hour burn rate.

No speed variation then - just full power.

dave10a

I had the 7500watt version of that generator in my motorhome. I found it to be very reliable and effiecient--Onan builds a great generator. Nice job installing it as well. My only question is: can the Landmark frame handle the extra weight of that generator while traveling? Between its heavy weight and what folks normally haul in their trailer, I would be interested in how the frame holds up-- especially since it is not rated for a goose neck. It would be a good idea to check with Heartland to determine if there are any warranty concerns.