Diesel Trucks and Cold Weather

jdfishing

I'm new to towing with a diesel engine, especially in cold weather. We are heading up through northern CA, into Oregon and Wash. In some locations, the temps are dropping into the mid to lower 20's. Is there a need to be concerned about the diesel in the factory fuel tank "jelling"? The owners manual only addresses long term exposure to very cold weather. I believe some locations put an additive in the fuel, but I doubt they do where I live.

BLHFUN

Are you traveling through and the nights are dropping into the mid twenties? Or moving long term to 20s for a high over weeks/months at a time? Nights dropping into the twenties are nothing to worry about. Specifically if your driving daily and using the fuel. I think your manual calls it correctly. "Long term exposure" and I'll add "without use"

i wouldnt add a thing to my fuel if a few nights dropped into the 20's. No concern.

JanAndBill

Untreated diesel fuel wil start to gel at around 15 degrees F. Unless you have a means of warming the fuel in the tank it can actually gel in the tank running down the road as the temperature drops further. Most fuel stops in the north have already switched to a winter blend that contains an additive that will give you some protection. Even then we had problems on trucks without tank heaters as the temperatures dropped below 0.

Duramax1

You will find that the diesel fuel stops in winter areas will adjust their blends to match the weather conditions.

GOTTOYS

In MN and I'm sure other States, the #2 fuel we get in the Summer is blended with #1 for Winter use. The amount of #1 varies according to what month it is. At its worst it is blended to work at 30 below zero. The more #1 they put in the worse our fuel mileage gets. It will drop off by as much as 30% or so during our coldest months....Don

BBslider001

With the temps up in that area, it's not even a concern. You can use PS in the white bottle if you are really worried about it, but the winter blend will already be effective enough. Just keep trucking on!

Gaffer

Hey John, I live in Bend and have never had a problem even when the overnight temp dropped below 0. I did plug in the block heater though.
PJ

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When traveling from Dallas TX to New Mexico and Colorado one winter, we had some issues with the fuel in our aux tank not flowing well through the fuel filter into our regular tank. We think it was gelling due to the cold. Ended up using PS in the white bottle, this cleared it up. Refueled in Co for the trip home and didn't have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My truck spends it's non-driving time on the driveway. No winter problems since I've had it and we've had some extended sub-zero periods during the winters. Never used the block heater or the radiator cover. I do give it a shot of Opti-Blend when I fill up, though.

caissiel

No problem with modern diesel trucks till -20f.
Just make sure you drive up to your location with low tanks and fuel there. Transport drivers do that all the time.

NHCelt

IF I were you, I would add Stanadyne performance formula to your fuel every tank. It adds lubricity, improves cetane rating and adds anti gel. There have been lubrication issues in diesels since the change to ulsd...it willl hep lubricate your fuel system and end your fuel gelling concerns. My winter environment has temps routinely to -30 f before wind chill. I never even plug my truck in.

Celt